New Drum Corps Division

I too am an oldtimer...see my sig for my marching days....64-72.

I favor a new division...but going the other way...I want to see an "Anything goes" division where WW, electronics...any instruments, even strings....any corps size...would be legal.

I personally can not see where kids today would want to march in a drum corps a la 1970, in enough numbers to actually have a division of their own.

BTW...my dad loved the off the line as well...he hated it when corps could start wherever they wanted.

ARE YOU NUTS? :sshh: <**>

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is sane and entirely serious. Welcome to the new vision of future Drum Corps............... :sos:

He is sane and entirely serious. Welcome to the new vision of future Drum Corps............... :sos:

OH, Geez !!!!

DCI we have a problem !!! :blink: b**bs :blink: b**bs :sos: :angry2: <**> :angry2:

Edited by ODBC

From what I've heard, corps today are supposed to be on the bus and on their way to the next venue when the scores are announced. I assume the drum major(s) and some sort of staff stay behind and fill the corps in via cell phone or something. To me, standing on the field in retreat and waiting for scores was one of the most exciting parts of marching. I can't imagine finding out we won CYO Nationals in 1977 via an IM. Off the thread a bit, but it made me think about the homogenization of the activity...

From what I've heard, corps today are supposed to be on the bus and on their way to the next venue when the scores are announced. I assume the drum major(s) and some sort of staff stay behind and fill the corps in via cell phone or something. To me, standing on the field in retreat and waiting for scores was one of the most exciting parts of marching. I can't imagine finding out we won CYO Nationals in 1977 via an IM. Off the thread a bit, but it made me think about the homogenization of the activity...

That CYO amounts to one of my best shows ever with the Kingsmen....the beautiful day the classic Harvard stadium and the sight of the 27 guard....I was in drum corps heaven at CYO 77 B)

Edited by felixh

• 3 weeks later...

I know a lot of people in the activity, especially when you include the fans and former marching members. The vast majority of people I know, would, at the very least have no objections to a Traditional Division. And at best, would support it whole-heartedly. How great would it be, to go to a show...Jr. or Sr....and see 8 corps instead of 5? Or 10 instead of 6? I think any drum corps show could potentially be a mix of old/new...DCI/DCA. Have we forgotten that ALL drum corps is good? And, any judge capable of judging a 'modern show', should have the ability to judge a 'traditional show.' Let's face it...good GE is good GE, whether it's old-style or new. And execution excellance is just that. It's either perfect, or it's wrong to some degree.

Now, for anyone out there who absolutely does not ever want to see a traditional division......is it possible that the number of fans who would embrace the old-style would be tremendous?!?! And how could it be possible that THAT many people could disagree with YOUR opinion? There is nothing wrong with drum corps that's older than "last season." B)

I know a lot of people in the activity, especially when you include the fans and former marching members. The vast majority of people I know, would, at the very least have no objections to a Traditional Division. And at best, would support it whole-heartedly. How great would it be, to go to a show...Jr. or Sr....and see 8 corps instead of 5? Or 10 instead of 6? I think any drum corps show could potentially be a mix of old/new...DCI/DCA. Have we forgotten that ALL drum corps is good? And, any judge capable of judging a 'modern show', should have the ability to judge a 'traditional show.' Let's face it...good GE is good GE, whether it's old-style or new. And execution excellance is just that. It's either perfect, or it's wrong to some degree.

Now, for anyone out there who absolutely does not ever want to see a traditional division......is it possible that the number of fans who would embrace the old-style would be tremendous?!?! And how could it be possible that THAT many people could disagree with YOUR opinion? There is nothing wrong with drum corps that's older than "last season." B)

Where do the corps come from for this new division?

And...where do the marching members come from?

What is your vision on something like this?

Alumni corps kind of cover that niche.

Sadly, this 'new division' will probably never happen. Someone would need to step forward to lead the movement, and as much as my heart tells me to go for it....my brain knows better. I'm too old, and too broke. But....

I would take a grass roots approach. Small town; small time drum corps. I would beg, borrow, and buy any G bugles. Used drums. Simple inexpensive uniforms (remember Jim Jones talking about the Trooper's first uniforms?) Dig up and dust-off some of the thousands of corps arrangements from 1965-85. Push a recruiting movement across the nation in our high schools, scouting groups, and church parishes....just like the old days.

Granted, many people would NOT be interested. But, I think there would be enough interest to field 40 or 50 corps nationwide. I would mandate regional competition until championships. There are thousands of ex-marching members, some of whom might donate their time to further the activity.

I think the most important aspect would be making sure it was a positive, fun, learning experience for the members.

I still remain adamantly convinced that 'old-style' is not 'bad'.....anymore than the 'present-day style' is 'bad.'

The Alumni movement is wonderful! But they choose not to compete, and competition is one of the cornerstones of the activity.

I'm suprised Mike D. that since your marching years in Jr. corps coincide with my Jr. years, you wouldn't want to see the memory and history of those years preserved and performed for future generations. Do you also think that the re-enactors who portray the Revolutionary War and Civil War should cease and desist, because those wars ended a long time ago?

I think ALL history should be remembered......but ESPECIALLY "good history." B)

I'm suprised Mike D. that since your marching years in Jr. corps coincide with my Jr. years, you wouldn't want to see the memory and history of those years preserved and performed for future generations. Do you also think that the re-enactors who portray the Revolutionary War and Civil War should cease and desist, because those wars ended a long time ago?

I think ALL history should be remembered......but ESPECIALLY "good history." B)

I loved my era, for sure. I have my own corps on video from 71 and 72...and my goal is to buy the entire 71 World Open finals at some point.

I also think the alumni corps do a good job of keeping the history alive.

I just do not see any interest in young people to be part of such an activity today. Heck, my friends back THEN who were not part of it could not understand why I marched.

I also don't see any way to create the corps you speak of in sufficient number to have any sort of competitive season in limited geographical areas.

Div III corps today are hardly bursting at the seams, so why would kids who have no interest in div III want to march in your retro units?

I'd rather see all corps in the existing divisions full of kids.

Mike D.- Maybe the plain truth is that I would somehow like to relive the passion of my youth. More than sports, or fast cars, or even girls or money.....my passion was drum corps. And drum corps is different now, compared to then. That's all.