I have to ask this

I have to say it. I have to say it....I HAVE to say it. This is one of those areas where old school drum corps blows away drum corps of today at something. The best and cleanest company fronts were done in the late 70s and early 80s (and a FEW in the late 80s). Today, they are nowhere near as clean. Someone, please give me a good one this year. I want to see them done like they used to be done. I'm not saying it has to be an old school ballad push. Just give me a company front somewhere in a show that makes me strain myself to find a mistake. I miss seeing them like they used to be done.

Just had to throw that in there.

Edited by torn8o

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite a company front: scv '89 during music of the night :blink::rolleyes:

The all time best company fronts were done by GARFIELD CADETS!

The "disolving company front" at the end of 1987 was just simply.....well, words can't describe the thunder in that stadium that night.

Star 90 gave us a solid wall of sound in their closing too -

Here's the vid:

http://garfieldcadets7.tripod.com/

Edited by aueagle71

The "disolving company front" at the end of 1987 was just simply.....well, words can't describe the thunder in that stadium that night.

Here's the vid:

That gets my bet for best company front, too. So good.

Didn't Cadets 84 have a "Company Back" before PR 02? or was that 94? I'm pretty sure it was one of the WSS shows.

I have to say it. I have to say it....I HAVE to say it. This is one of those areas where old school drum corps blows away drum corps of today at something. The best and cleanest company fronts were done in the late 70s and early 80s (and a FEW in the late 80s). Today, they are nowhere near as clean. Someone, please give me a good one this year. I want to see them done like they used to be done. I'm not saying it has to be an old school ballad push. Just give me a company front somewhere in a show that makes me strain myself to find a mistake. I miss seeing them like they used to be done.

Just had to throw that in there.

BTW, I often wonder if the visual basics routines corps are doing today have a lot to do with it. When I started with the Freelancers in the late 80s, all of our basics routines were done in company fronts (and most elbow to elbow). Right around the early 90s, I noticed that we were doing block drills for basics more. Then, by my last year in Blue Devils, it was all blocks AND circle drills (which is what most are doing today). So, is it possible that the kids in the activity today are just not doing them enough to make them as clean as they could be? Honest question.

Edited by torn8o

That gets my bet for best company front, too. So good.

Didn't Cadets 84 have a "Company Back" before PR 02? or was that 94? I'm pretty sure it was one of the WSS shows.

Yes, Garfiled was one of the corps that came to mind. You know which one I PERSONALLY thought was the best (just on the basis of being clean)? 1980 in their closer. Go dig out your legacy collection and click on 1980 Garfield. You will be amazed!!!!

Edited by torn8o

My favorite exmples of a company front? Surprise, all early 80s...

Cavies- the push in Softly As I Leave You

Scouts- the push in Through the Eyes of Love

BD- the double gate turns into the re-entry of One More Time CC

SCV- the push in Appalachian Spring

Edited by skajerk

Ah, a discussion about my beloved company front, arguably THE MOST DIFFICULT MOVE to properly execute to perfection!

The hornline and guard would form a single line from end to end, and march forward to the stands - if done right, it would result in goosebumps, babies thrown, standing/cheering/yelling in the stands, and a VERY happy drill instructor!

ooh, am getting the bumps right now as I visualize it in my head!

Lots of good CF's even BEFORE DCI!!!!!! Have seen real good ones from Scouts, SCV (I think!), and Cadets over the years!

Here's the vid:

Oh God...anyone who doesn't cry after seeing that has no heart.

Edited by Hrothgar15

My favorite exmples of a company front? Surprise, all early 80s...

Cavies- the push in Softly As I Leave You

Scouts- the push in Through the Eyes of Love

BD- the double gate turns into the re-entry of One More Time CC

SCV- the push in Appalachian Spring

Yep, yep, yep and yep! All more examples of the best of the best of the best of the mighty "company front".