Name That Tune ?

From inside sources, as much as Downey is listed as being head arranger, last year Meehan "stopped in" the office a few more times than usual. I wouldn't have said Meehan is arranging more and more with the "A" corps if I didn't have something to back it up. Did BD 05 sound ANYTHING like a Downey arrangement? I think not

I don't think an insinuation of "inside sources" is enough to back you up. The web page and Blue Devils' press releases all say that Wayne Downey is doing the arranging and John Meehan is the brass caption head. Those, currently, are the facts.

Meanwhile, if you listen to the 2005 production, it incorporates a number of things that Wayne Downey has been doing since 2002, or even as far back as 1996. I think it sounded very much like a Wayne Downey arrangement and I also enjoyed it quite a lot. I still listen to that show once a day. However, I din't think John Meehan doing any arranging is a bad thing. I have the cd and have heard the show for Blue Devils "B" corps that he arranged and I think he is a very good composer.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From inside sources, as much as Downey is listed as being head arranger, last year Meehan "stopped in" the office a few more times than usual. I wouldn't have said Meehan is arranging more and more with the "A" corps if I didn't have something to back it up. Did BD 05 sound ANYTHING like a Downey arrangement? I think not

you don't know anything.

John composes and arranges the B Corps' music, Wayne the A corps. Dave Glyde has a lot to do with the arrangememnts that BD use - he is a genius at creating modern shows. I am sure John has a hand in things, as the Blue Devils staff is quite collaborative. But Wayne's name is on the product.

Don't let the bashers worry you too much - they will always be around, mostly hiding behind anonymous screen names.

'05 sounded very much in style with the Blue Devils shows that we've been hearing every year so far in the 2000's. In that respect, it sounds as much of a Downey chart as 2003, 2001, or even 1999.

By the way, I loved the book of Blue Devils 2005. Really catchy stuff, and there were good things happening in that hornline. Maybe you didn't like it, I find myself listening to it more and more every day.

Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig difference between arranging and composing buddy...

for example:

IMHO i feel R. Saucedo is a better arranger then composer.

so if it can work that way, the inverse can also be true.

I know the difference between arranging and composing. The music for the "B" corps was original music; i.e. he composed it, not arranged it. And if he has skill in composing, I am confident in his ability to arrange/compose for the "A" corps if/when the day should come.

As Chris said, last year was Wayne from start to finish. I did not care for the show all that much, but that was just me. It was one of those shows you either really liked, or really didn't. But the kids were still amazing, and it was still the Blue Devils. What more can you ask for?!?!

John composes and arranges the B Corps' music, Wayne the A corps. Dave Glyde has a lot to do with the arrangememnts that BD use - he is a genius at creating modern shows. I am sure John has a hand in things, as the Blue Devils staff is quite collaborative. But Wayne's name is on the product.

Don't let the bashers worry you too much - they will always be around, mostly hiding behind anonymous screen names.

Well put, I guess if I would have said "Oh my god I love Meehan Jr. and his arranging and 2005 was GREAT on every aspect of the show!! Oh yea, I hear Meehan is also arranging a lot more for the "A" Corps too...",

maybe I wouldn't be getting attacked without mercy right now.

Slightly exaggerated, but so are some people take offense to negative opinions. Sorry I didn't dig the arrangements this past year, I'm not going to lie and say I thought it sounded like Downey when it didn't to me.

Well put, I guess if I would have said "Oh my god I love Meehan Jr. and his arranging and 2005 was GREAT on every aspect of the show!! Oh yea, I hear Meehan is also arranging a lot more for the "A" Corps too...",

maybe I wouldn't be getting attacked without mercy right now.

Slightly exaggerated, but so are some people take offense to negative opinions. Sorry I didn't dig the arrangements this past year, I'm not going to lie and say I thought it sounded like Downey when it didn't to me.

That is fine to not like it. But you are incorrect about the arranging situation bud. Repeating what you have heard does not make it true. As a member in '04, I can tell you that the show music was arranged by Wayne. Did you march in the corps? You must have with all your great inside information.