Name That Tune ?

Did you march 05? Until then, kindly shut your mouth up about things you don't know 100% either way either.

Heh, and if I were to put those same words to you, what response would you have??

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will keep this short and simple..

Facts

-John Meehan is the current Brass Caption Head for the Blue Devils

-John Meehan did NOT arrange the 2005 show (or 2004, or 2006)

-John Meehan may be the best composer/arranger in pageantry today (with all due respect to Wayne, who is a master and innovator of this activity).

-If and when John Meehan starts arranging for the Blue Devils, it will be amazing!

-John Meehan composed (and arranged) the 2005 Blue Devils 'B' show (and it was genius).

-As a co-worker (and best friend) of John Meehan, this is your “inside source”!!!

-One of Johns only flaws, is that he is a San Diego Chargers fan (GOOOO RAIDERS!)

Vinnie Angelo

Blue Devils 'A' Front Ensemble Instructor

Blue Devils 'B' Percussion Caption Head/Arranger

Blue Devils 'C' Front Ensemble Instructor/Arranger

I will keep this short and simple..

Facts

-John Meehan is the current Brass Caption Head for the Blue Devils

-John Meehan did NOT arrange the 2005 show (or 2004, or 2006)

-John Meehan may be the best composer/arranger in pageantry today (with all due respect to Wayne, who is a master and innovator of this activity).

-If and when John Meehan starts arranging for the Blue Devils, it will be amazing!

-John Meehan composed (and arranged) the 2005 Blue Devils 'B' show (and it was genius).

-As a co-worker (and best friend) of John Meehan, this is your “inside source”!!!

-One of Johns only flaws, is that he is a San Diego Chargers fan (GOOOO RAIDERS!)

Vinnie Angelo

Blue Devils 'A' Front Ensemble Instructor

Blue Devils 'B' Percussion Caption Head/Arranger

Blue Devils 'C' Front Ensemble Instructor/Arranger

BRAVO!!!!! :angry::angry::lol::rock::lol::lol:

John Meehan is one of the best in the activity. One of the best arrangers and brass caption heads of today's activity. One of the best brass techs of the 90s. AMAZING soprano soloist in the 80s. When I started with the Freelancers in 1988, I can remember John being one of my TWO biggest heros of soprano soloists. The other being Roger Deloza (now passed away :( from Freelancers 87-89). I can remember hearing John play the solo in Old Black Magic for the first time at the East L.A. college competition in 1988. I leaned over to one of the guys in Feelancers (typical dumb 14 year old rookie) and said "that is what I want to sound like and where I want to be someday once I DO sound like that". The guy I said that to was a guy named John Rochon. Little did I know that was a bad idea (especially to that particular guy) and needless to say, I got ripped for saying it (rolls eyes). From that point on I always feared expressing any enjoyment for other corps while I was in Freelancers (kind of stupid). But, ironically I DID eventually end up in the same place I saw John Meehan for the first time (as soprano soloist for BD) anyway. Funny how things work out.

Sorry to ramble from topic. Couldn't resist that story.

John M., if you are reading this - keep up the good work!!!! You are doing great things!!!!! Not just with BD but also the...what...DOZENS???...of reputable BOA bands you are writing and consulting for today. You know, we really DON'T need to defend you on here, do we? Your experience, accomplishments and reputation as a whole speak for themselves!

Edited by torn8o

Vinne Angelo pretty much seals the deal on that guys. He is right there next to John and he knows what he's talking about.

And if you thought John's work on BDB's 2005 show was good, you should here this year's show... b**bs

Edited by MagicBobert

From what I hear, Meehan Jr. is arranging a whole lot, and as we all saw and painfully heard in 05, this is not a good thing.

Mmmmm, yummy, I needed a good laugh after losing at poker tonight! I don't keep up with DCP or any of the other forums as much as most of you, but thankfully, I have friends all over that look out and alert me of gibberish such as this.

I DID NOT, nor do I, do ANY of the arranging/composing for the Blue Devil 'A' Corps field show. I am (as has been stated) the Brass Caption Head (head instructor) as of this year. I am also the Music Director (glorified title which means I show up once in a while) and Composer/Arranger for the Blue Devil 'B' Corps. Outside of BD, I do a lot of composing and arranging for marching bands, drum corps, concert bands and other projects all over the world.

What may be feeding to some of the confusion (or maybe it's just people talking without knowing what the heck they're talking about, I'm not sure), is that I do most of the arranging/composing of the stuff the 'A' corps does OFF of the marching field. Examples would be Autumn and Discovery, two pieces I composed and arranged for the Blue Devil 'A' Corps European Tour last summer.

Wayne Downey is an icon in this activity, and while I completely respect sharing one's feelings about something (I like it, I don't like it), one should never speak of which they don't know as fact. I can only hope that one day I achieve the level of greatness as a brass arranger/composer that people like Wayne, Jay Bocook, Jim Wren, Richard Saucedo, Michael Klesch, Jim Prime, Jim Ott, Tim Salzman, Larry Kerschner, Robert W. Smith and numerous others have set in this activity.

A couple of quick last thoughts..... Yes, the 'B' Corps show is turning out swimmingly (I'm glad you like it Bob)! It's a mixture of my original music and original music (arranged by me) by a very talented composer friend of mine named Mark Higginbotham. And torn8o (Scotty?), Roger Deloza was the guy I was saying WOW about while you were saying "wow" about me. Roger was a great human being and is dearly missed.

Edited by jksmusic

And torn8o (Scotty?), Roger Deloza was the guy I was saying WOW about while you were saying "wow" about me. Roger was a great human being and is dearly missed.

Thanks for mentioning that, John. Roger was also the one who acted as my big brother while on tour with the Freelancers as a 14 year old. If it weren't for him, it's doubtful I would have been handle much of it. So yes, Roger was a "great human being" who went the extra mile any chance he could. One of the best friends I ever had in the activity. I'm glad to know that SOMEONE still remembers him (other than myself).

:( I only wanted to know the name of a peice of music talk about making waves