First and last show

This wasn't the Springfield, IL show that was at the horse race track at the State Fair, was it? The one where we all had to march our entire drills

doing 1/4 steps instead of full?

That show was a pain in the azz ... and it always seemed like Black Knights would somehow come out way on top every year.

Black Knights were cool though ... they would line up on the back side of the track and come around to just appear out of the dark in formation.

Those cool chrome helmets and bad-azz uniforms...

That would be correct! The scores always seemed to jump up about 20 points and they still did inspections, I believe until about '75.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must not have enjoyed this show in '75 where uncle z opened up a can of whoopass on you (even mobrien was pWn1nG) :P :

Grayslake, IL July 12, 1975

1) Cavaliers 72.10

2) Fox Valley Raiders 58.25

3) Statesmen 58.20

4) Royal Knights 57.30

5) Scarlet Knights 47.40

6) West Bend Patriots 43.80

7) Skokie Imperials 42.80

8) Flying Dutchmen 42.55

Well, it was tough getting punished in Flying Dutchemn, but I was involved in my fair share of dishing out some whoopass. Uncle Z, do you remember a couple of guys named Kent Scott and Bob Greer? They came to Quincy in about '74 or '75 to help us out. They were a big influence on our organzation. We were never very good, but we did climb to 14th in class A by '77.

they still did inspections, I believe until about '75.

Oh my no, they did inspections on us the years we were there, 85 and 86. In 85 we pitheads had to stand at attention or parade rest during inspection with the rest of the corps, and I distinctly remember hearing the judge ask our DM, Brian Bond, why "these people have no instruments." He explained we were the pit players, and I swear the judge did a "What's the pit" thing, and it was all I could do to keep from laughing. God, that show was a show from Mars.

first show i saw live was june 20th, 1987, at Napa, CA. SCV beats BD. though i dont remember this show at all... i was a mere few months old...

first show i remember seeing live was june 25, 1994 at Concord CA.

first show i performed at was june 22, 2002, at cerritos, CA.

last show i saw live was DCI world championships Finals, 2005, in foxboro, MA.

last show i performed at was DCI Div II/III grand super secret finals in Brockton, MA.

Oh my no, they did inspections on us the years we were there, 85 and 86. In 85 we pitheads had to stand at attention or parade rest during inspection with the rest of the corps, and I distinctly remember hearing the judge ask our DM, Brian Bond, why "these people have no instruments." He explained we were the pit players, and I swear the judge did a "What's the pit" thing, and it was all I could do to keep from laughing. God, that show was a show from Mars.

:lolhit:

You must not have enjoyed this show in '75 where uncle z opened up a can of whoopass on you (even mobrien was pWn1nG) :P :

Grayslake, IL July 12, 1975

1) Cavaliers 72.10

2) Fox Valley Raiders 58.25

3) Statesmen 58.20

4) Royal Knights 57.30

5) Scarlet Knights 47.40

6) West Bend Patriots 43.80

7) Skokie Imperials 42.80

8) Flying Dutchmen 42.55

Z, did you march with Manitowoc? I thought you were doin' Marquis and Blah Stars before you saw the green light. Sheesh, ye were a little corps whore :P

Funny thing about the Scarlet Knights - you could pick any date on the summer calendar, and you'd be guaranteed that our score would be around 47. June 15th, we'd be at 45. July 4th, we'd be at 47. August 10th, we'd be at 46.

Sort of like the Cavaliers second tour numbers from '81. I would have thought it was impossible for a DCI level corps to go 3 weeks in the end of the season with no real improvement in our numbers, but that year proved me wrong... B)

Velvet Knights -

First show: May 1974 - Southern California Circuit Evaluation Show, Fred Kelley Stadium, Orange California. I played third baritone and we scored somewhere in the 40's.

Last Show: August 17, 1978 - DCI Prelims, Boulder Colorado. I played contra off the line and drum major for the rest of the show. We scored 70.45 for 25th place and associate membership, which was a big deal back then.

Z, did you march with Manitowoc?
Yep.
I thought you were doin' Marquis and Blah Stars before you saw the green light. Sheesh, ye were a little corps whore :P
Guilty as charged. :rock:

Velvet Knights -

First show: May 1974 - Southern California Circuit Evaluation Show, Fred Kelley Stadium, Orange California. I played third baritone and we scored somewhere in the 40's.

Last Show: August 17, 1978 - DCI Prelims, Boulder Colorado. I played contra off the line and drum major for the rest of the show. We scored 70.45 for 25th place and associate membership, which was a big deal back then.

kelly stadium!!!!

haha that is the stadium which ended my football career, against villa park high school...

just thought it was ironic....

neways, moving on