Salute to '81 DCA 25 years and not forgotten

(and speaking of racks) I'm sure that those racks made it to California when Uncle Lar made the sale! (as well as the McDonalds flags, etc)

Ixnay on the DonaldsMca flag Ben... ^0^

Remember Uncle Larrys talk after the Philipsburg, NJ flag was... ahem... "collected" on the way to a show (our usual Friday night sleep along on the buses)? "I don't care who took it, BUT we have to stop there for a meal tonight. You might want to stay on the bus just in case someone saw you".

Howies quote was better: "Saw the flag go down and nothing came back up. All I could think was ####### Westshore". (He really understood us. :sshh: )

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Hmmmm... 1981? I was playing 2nd baritone in Archer-Epler. And I remember the Saturday morning rehearsal when Ed Shaughnessey pulled into the parking lot and accepted a Pabst Blue Ribbon from MY cooler! WOW!

But the thing I remember most was NOT making finals (the Regionaires beat us by 0.45, they played nearly as badly as we marched!) and later seeing the instruction sheet for the corps going onto the field at retreat. You see, they only had planned spots on the field for 10 corps; DCA must have expected we would be in finals and we were already scheduled to do the retreat gig with Shaughnessey. They had hand written in another block for the Regionaires. Perhaps someone in DCA forgot to tell the prelim judges...?!? Or perhaps we didn't pay the proper tribute to Caesar. Or maybe we really DID march that badly! Thank G*D they had a blue soccer circle painted on the field; otherwise we might not have ever marched anything close to a circle during Stars and Stripes Forever.

SMA

Edited by K2SMA

Hmmmm... 1981? I was playing 2nd baritone in Archer-Epler. And I remember the Saturday morning rehearsal when Ed Shaughnessey pulled into the parking lot and accepted a Pabst Blue Ribbon from MY cooler! WOW!

But the thing I remember most was NOT making finals (the Regionaires beat us by 0.45, they played nearly as badly as we marched!) and later seeing the instruction sheet for the corps going onto the field at retreat. You see, they only had planned spots on the field for 10 corps; DCA must have expected we would be in finals and we were already scheduled to do the retreat gig with Shaughnessey. They had hand written in another block for the Regionaires. Perhaps someone in DCA forgot to tell the prelim judges...?!? Or perhaps we didn't pay the proper tribute to Caesar. Or maybe we really DID march that badly! Thank G*D they had a blue soccer circle painted on the field; otherwise we might not have ever marched anything close to a circle during Stars and Stripes Forever.

SMA

Shiznet Happens! :) You guys did well!

Shiznet Happens! :) You guys did well!

Amazing coincidence...

Was on the Archer-Epler web site this afternoon (looking for John Tully's e-mail address) and stumbled into a B&W photo of us in concert formation at Franklin Field (complete with the blue soccer circle!).

SMA

SMA

blame Toomey :P

Hmmm... I would, Jeff, but I don't think Billy joined us until '83 or '84... But I may be losing it.

SMA

Edited by K2SMA

You guys did an admirable job that day! You got screwed for the old style drill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 PERIOD

DCA sucked when they did that! PS it was nice..........as Winkie used to say Suhweeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

Edited by Fred Steiner Jr.

Hmmm... I would, Jeff, but I don't think Billy joined us until '83 or '84... But I may be losing it.

SMA

you may be right. blame Ed otto then :P