Salute to '81 DCA 25 years and not forgotten

ok kids, no fighting. tuba, contra, the people playing them still make drummers look normal

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vic???

is that Tiny playing cymbals? :worthy:

Yes that is Tiny on cymbals

and the Original Four Skins

Randy Farrell - myself - Bob Rush

whoa whoa wait a second

Bob Rush is that guy in the picture??? :worthy:

Hmmmm... 1981? I was playing 2nd baritone in Archer-Epler. And I remember the Saturday morning rehearsal when Ed Shaughnessey pulled into the parking lot and accepted a Pabst Blue Ribbon from MY cooler! WOW!

But the thing I remember most was NOT making finals (the Regionaires beat us by 0.45, they played nearly as badly as we marched!) and later seeing the instruction sheet for the corps going onto the field at retreat. You see, they only had planned spots on the field for 10 corps; DCA must have expected we would be in finals and we were already scheduled to do the retreat gig with Shaughnessey. They had hand written in another block for the Regionaires. Perhaps someone in DCA forgot to tell the prelim judges...?!? Or perhaps we didn't pay the proper tribute to Caesar. Or maybe we really DID march that badly! Thank G*D they had a blue soccer circle painted on the field; otherwise we might not have ever marched anything close to a circle during Stars and Stripes Forever.

SMA

Well – where to start? 81 was the one and only time I made finals (Regionnaires) – I’ll never forget it.

For my friends at Archer Epler – It was close - really close. I remember seeing some of your show from the end as we were waiting to go on (Scheherazade!) and thinking I was really happy to have edged you guys out. Our prelim show was a hang site better than our finals – it really was a case of just being happy to make it. I know I ticked all over the sheet and I wasn’t alone. Our horn instructor, the late and amazing Ed Cozzolino (sp? It was a long time ago) wanted our prelim performance on the record instead of finals – that was a no go. We dropped a chunk from our prelim score and we deserved to At the same time I am proud to have marched with that corps that night and I wouldn’t have traded that 10th for a spot in Hurricanes and a first. I’m especially proud of our battery – ticky as we were we had 7 snares on the field where the previous show we had 3. We had a complete re-write of music and drill opener to closer in I think a three week period.

Archie is a legend – it’s not every day you get to compete against that.

Man – this thread brings back some memories.

Cheers

Jim

EDIT - just listening to 81 Sunrisers right now - OMG! That was a good year! The Barmum's drum solo in 7/8 time - amazing!

Edited by kusankusho

whoa whoa wait a second

Bob Rush is that guy in the picture??? :tic:

yeppers ... we talked him into marching tenors at the Monster camp B) .... fun year!

Man – this thread brings back some memories.

Cheers

Jim

EDIT - just listening to 81 Sunrisers right now - OMG! That was a good year! The Barmum's drum solo in 7/8 time - amazing!

Jim,

Yes, this thread DOES bring back some memories... :worthy:

Thanks, conducting that Barnum's DS in 7/8 was a blast too! b**bs

(There are some of the drummers from 81 that post here, I'd like to read their comments...hint, hint) :tic:

Tony B)

yeppers ... we talked him into marching tenors at the Monster camp B) .... fun year!

Helloooooo! Vic! (hehe)

1974 Hurcs Rifle Line

Paul Gaffney, Dan Marion and yours truly

connhurricanes1974drumlinewith.th.jpg

tonywhite1974connhurricanes9yb.th.jpg

Tony B)

PS: Vic, do you have any photos from 1974?

If you do or know from whom I might be able to find some, could you PM me?

Thanks...

Edited by TennTux

hehehehe ok since we're asking Vic for photos . . . .

Vic ~

dear wonderful friend of mine :tic:

do you have any your sister gave you from '91 by any chance?

*flutters eyelashes*

:)

That's funny, as Hurcs were parading off at I believe Winston-Salem this year the Bucs Tubas were all talking about how much Mag 7 rocked :worthy:

Two words...

b**bs CHICKEN DANCE!!! b**bs

:tic: :mmm:

Jim,

Yes, this thread DOES bring back some memories... :worthy:

Thanks, conducting that Barnum's DS in 7/8 was a blast too! b**bs

(There are some of the drummers from 81 that post here, I'd like to read their comments...hint, hint) :blink:

Tony B)

OK, I'll bite. Playing it was a blast too. Even though I was an end snare, those North triples had such a deep awesome sound. Check out the photos below. In '81 if you are facing the snare line, I'm on the left (my right).