Salute to '81 DCA 25 years and not forgotten

Jim,

"It" works for me... :laugh:

b**bs B) b**bs

Just call me "1st snare on the left in the GREAT WALL OF DAVE CHINA shot".

That was a FUN year for the perc session. Loved the sound of those North triples and Dave China ROCKED on the conga drums in Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor.

Not many people noticed it due to our placement, but in "Late in the Evening", the snare line played a long run of 16th notes right-handed only. It blew people away when people noticed it, unfortunately it was mostly during warm-ups when only the percussion section was playing.

Dennis Delucia had Bridgemen do it left handed and had us do it right handed.

Now I have to dust off the recording and listen to it again!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just call me "1st snare on the left in the GREAT WALL OF DAVE CHINA shot".

That was a FUN year for the perc session. Loved the sound of those North triples and Dave China ROCKED on the conga drums in Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor.

Not many people noticed it due to our placement, but in "Late in the Evening", the snare line played a long run of 16th notes right-handed only. It blew people away when people noticed it, unfortunately it was mostly during warm-ups when only the percussion section was playing.

Dennis Delucia had Bridgemen do it left handed and had us do it right handed.

Now I have to dust off the recording and listen to it again!

Joe,

"1979 SMOKIN" pic.....

In 1979 I was "SMOKIN" and I wasn't in the drum line! (but I know how we did the "smoke"... b**bs )

(to do that and NOT get in the pic, wasn't so easy)

Tony B)

Tony, is there a big pic of you DM'ing in the 1979 (pretty sure that's the year) DCA Yearbook/Program (whatever they called it)? Remember it because guy in the pic and I had the same kind of beard, glasses and hair color. Had it at college and a MB friend was looking at it. Then he says "Wow, you go the whole way to Long Island to play? Why does this picture look like you're directing?" :P (Ah, no Al that ain't me. )

Too bad we didn't know the height matched too. :laugh:

I found myself in the Crusaders shots wearing a Yellow tux coat!!!

LOL those were the days

Donny

I found myself in the Crusaders shots wearing a Yellow tux coat!!!

LOL those were the days

Donny

Donny,

I would love to see those pix...can you post them??? and to Sunsnare83.... I noticed....DID think you guys were doin it lefty too...from the crowd....BTW Loved those Sun Drum Lines..God Bless Dennis for the way he wrote...and the way he taught!!!!

Tony, is there a big pic of you DM'ing in the 1979 (pretty sure that's the year) DCA Yearbook/Program (whatever they called it)? Remember it because guy in the pic and I had the same kind of beard, glasses and hair color. Had it at college and a MB friend was looking at it. Then he says "Wow, you go the whole way to Long Island to play? Why does this picture look like you're directing?" :P (Ah, no Al that ain't me. )

Too bad we didn't know the height matched too. :worthy:

JimF,

John Marci was the "front" DM in 79, I moved out front in 1980. (I had the "goatee" type beard, never wore regular glasses and John had a mustache)

Any chance you have (or know of anyone that has) a copy of that DCA program?

Is this it? (1978, Tom Hart)

His hair was blond, mine is brown, he's about 6'2, and I'm....er, NOT ;-)

http://www.sunrisers.com/images/photos/197...art_cover.shtml

Tony B)

Edited by TennTux

JimF,

John Marci was the "front" DM in 79, I moved out front in 1980. (I had the "goatee" type beard, never wore regular glasses and John had a mustache)

Any chance you have (or know of anyone that has) a copy of that DCA program?

Is this it? (1978, Tom Hart)

His hair was blond, mine is brown, he's about 6'2, and I'm....er, NOT ;-)

http://www.sunrisers.com/images/photos/197...art_cover.shtml

Tony B)

When I get a chance I'll try to find the program, scan it and send it to you. From what I remember the program pic looks like the drawing of Tom in the link. He was by himself in the pic so no way of judging his height. I'll also see if I can scan the Sun page from the 1976 DCA Program as I still have that one.

Oh, the crap I took in 84! I remember we were talking about some old stuff on either a bus or after a practice or something, and the 81 finals came up, and everyone was complaining about the Hurcs (which was something that both Westshore and Reading had in common in those days) And being a transplant from Westshore, it was a good "common ground" thing to start getting some respect from those guys....And I made mention that I thought that Sun should have won...whoops! remember were you were..forgot that Reading was in heavy contention for it!! OOOH I got it from all sides! Lost a little ground on that conversation, but I didn't back down from it. I did have an ally in a bari player that marched with you guys that year (George, can't remember his last name..but we always called him George from "Lon Giland")

Jaminbenb,

Thought it WAS a long time ago, your not the only one that "saw" it that way..... :worthy:

But, facts are facts :sshh:

1981 Hurcs (corpsreps) 89.65

http://www.corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?vie...orpstype=Senior

1981 Sunrisers (corpsreps) 89.10

1981 Buccaneers (corpsreps) 88.40

1981 All Sr. Corps (corpsreps)

Tony B)

Edited by Jaminbenb

Reading the name Dennis Delucia brings up a story...

I'm sure some of the drummers here would appreciate this...

In 1982, Westshore had Robb Mueller as a drum instructor, Robb

worked with Dennis when he (Robb) marched with Bridgemen (1977, if I'm not mistaken), as well as I think year or two later when he was an assistant instructor, When Robb came

to Westshore, we were used to using whatever sticks we liked, At that point

most people were using those Studio 200 RG's (which were heavy and short)

and a few other models that you needed to cut and just tape the crap out of

for a little heft.

When Robb came in, he told us that we were all going to use the Dennis

Delucia sticks...We got them and most of us hated them because they were a

little light, and didn't hold up, and we were constantly replacing them.

Since we were technically Robb's first line (where he did all of the

writing/arranging/and teaching) He brought Dennis over at a show at one

point to see us warm up and play through a few numbers, when He introduced

Dennis, Someone asked, "Is this the same guy that makes these sticks?" and

he answered, "YES" EVERYONE threw their sticks at his feet and said that

they sucked!! It was hilarious! Dennis didn't know what to do, Robb wanted

to crawl under a rock! (I think we did roll excercises while marching all

the next practice)

Oh, the crap I took in 84! I remember we were talking about some old stuff on either a bus or after a practice or something, and the 81 finals came up, and everyone was complaining about the Hurcs (which was something that both Westshore and Reading had in common in those days) And being a transplant from Westshore, it was a good "common ground" thing to start getting some respect from those guys....And I made mention that I thought that Sun should have won...whoops! remember were you were..forgot that Reading was in heavy contention for it!! OOOH I got it from all sides! Lost a little ground on that conversation, but I didn't back down from it. I did have an ally in a bari player that marched with you guys that year (George, can't remember his last name..but we always called him George from "Lon Giland")

First, if the George you were talking about was the thin redheaded guy, he unfortunately passed away at a young age.

Secondly, the Sunrisers always had a special respect and comraderie with the Bucs back then. The key word being respect. We respected what each other stood for and the music we both played. Not surprised the Bucs felt robbed in '81. Didn't they win almost every show that year? Of course we felt "robbed" also. In reality, we just wished we won that year. I believe Hurcs played the show of their lives that night. I just regret that DCA forgot to invoke the penalty for playing Magnificent Seven for the 1,345,875th time. :+) There should have been a 10 point penalty for playing that song. Of course Sun should have been penalized for playing "The Joker" yet again in '80, but we didn't need any penalties that year to not win the show. :+)

The Bucs percussion section made Sun's percussion section handmade medallions sort of like Olympic Gold medals as a sign of respect. I still have mine and will never forget that gesture.

I knew several of the percussionists. I even went to several Bucs practices to watch since in 79-83 I lived in Allentown, PA.