Comparing MB and DC Experience/Differences

Last time I asked about peoples feelings/opinions about Junior corps I was bashed by someone who accused me of trying to harm the activity. So in advance I'd like to say "YOU'RE WRONG!"

OK, that's off my chest...... :worthy:

I started marching 30+ years ago *gag* and remember what I felt were the differences between Drum Corps and Marching Band at the time. A couple of boatloads of changes to Drum Corps later and it ain't Jimmys' Drum Corps anymore :P . So this is thrown out to todays marchers both Junior and All Age: How would you compare the experience between Marching Band and Drum Corps today. Also what, if any, do you consider the big differences between the two.

Word of warning: Have some "add on comments" to this but don't want to narrow the discussion before it starts.

Edit: Second thread line should have "Question from olde pharte" in there but wasn't room. B)

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Everyone who does drumcorps is there becasue they want too, becasue they love it. Its almost an unending desire among marchers. We all jsut want to be the best we can. In marching Band I dont care which one it is this isnt the case. Theres always someone whos there and doesnt really want to be. Besides those things, in Drumcorps Your on the road for 3 months in marching band at most your on the road for a week. Plus drumcorps shows are more bad a%$.

I am inclined to agree with DCguy. In every marching band I have tought and been in, it was an "extracurricular activity" There is always something else going on. School, friends, work,...that kind of stuff. So no matter how dedicated some people may be, there are still those distractions. Since virtually all marching bands take place during school, they are never in the forefront of people's lives. So the members, even the die-hard ones, cannot spend 100% of their time, energy, and thought on the MB show or group. And going along with what DCguy said, I think that this is one of the aspects that makes it so much more popular to members. There are always those people who join just to hang out or have a good time goofing around. They just like the atmosphere, but don't want to put in all the work. But with drum corps, only the most dedicated people make it through. They are there with the understanding that the corps and the show will be the only thing in their life for the next 90 days. No homework, no bills, no job, no parties, just the show. And the corps. And that aspect only attracts a select few. People that are willing to put in so much extra work, energy, and even pain to get the show where it is. To give the corps what it deserves.

And from my perspective as a member of both. The sound of woodwinds ruins it for me. I love woodwinds in a concert setting. But outside, give me brass and more brass.

In my marching experience, there is definatly a BIG difference between drum corps and marching band. The marching band that I am in, lacks discipline (on and off the field), motivation (staff and members), and commitment (comming to practice). Drum corps. on the other hand everyone wants to be there. They do what they're told, no argument. Everything is more organized, everyone knows where everyone is at any given time. Friendships are also very strong at drum corps. because no one knows your background. It's just a completely different atmosphere. And on top of that, you get to be around some amazing and dedicated musicians your age, and have an outstanding staff. It's so much less stressful on the field, not having to deal with people complaining (like in marching band). And it is a #### of a lot more physical. The people that are there because they want to be there, not jsut for an easy half credit.

i agree with everything above me and the fact that the skill level is much higher

and its much more dificult

I dont really even compare the two activities cause its just that, two different activities and i think allows me to enjoy both of them. I'm all about partying in the stands, downin some booze and throwin down a pile of garbage for halftime and i'm also about working hard 8 - 12 hrs a day to put on a spectacular performance night in and night out and chillin and gettin to know some people in the process. I think one activity becomes less enjoyable if you try and get some drumcorps out of marching band or marching band out of drumcorps.

ooh, a thread I can actually CONTRIBUTE something to!

wayback machine time - mid to late 1960's - I was in high school in Kenosha WI and we had an outstanding music program - our HS Band was full of very talented people, great musicians, and we were always busy with concerts during the school year and summer band competitions (which included marching AND concert numbers) in the summer.

Southeastern Wisconsin was also blessed with being located within an hour of at least a DOZEN nationally competitive drum corps - and as a snare drummer, seeing what the drum corps drummers did, I HAD to be a part of it - because it was more of a challenge rudimentally, strived for more percussive execution PERFECTION, and was just plain COOLER than being a snare drummer in the band.

But I look at my experience in BOTH drum corps and high school band to be complimentary - each activity provided the young musician with a CHALLENGE, and an OPPORTUNITY to improve musically - using different venues and approaches - but much depended on which instrument you played - a flautist or clarinetist would have had a rougher time in drum corps (DUH), but a drummer and horn player would likely find improvement in chops, better coordination, and more opportunities to actually PLAY - which, especially for those who go into music for living, is what REALLY MATTERS!

Both were fun, both were hard work, and BOTH had their strong and weak points - and I have ABSOLUTELY NO REGRETS having done both!

and yes, making friends, learning self discipline, etc.......BOTH were great foundations there!

Like Rob I started "back in the day" :P but did Senior corps so those all day practices were a couple weekend camps where we learned the drill and as much as we could stand the day of a show. We also did two night rehearsals during the week but couldn't get all the long distance members to those.

My HS band didn't compete in those days so we learned two halftime shows during the football season and that was it. Not too exciting but got to play music in front of people. By my Junior year I knew I was going to a Community College and had to find something else to be able to keep playing. Found corps by accident and was in Westshoremen after the first corps I joined folded three months after I joined <snipping long WEIRD story>. Westshore was reforming after taking a year off and was a combo of HS aged rookies and guys old enough to be my father (definitely not HS MB :worthy: ). Besides the age differences we had students, steel workers, manager of a Quickee Mart <$1 to Simpsons>, couple of Viet Nam vets, etc, etc. It was almost a cross section of the local population and my first real experience dealing with non-HS people. Thanks to that and my parents I feel I can deal pretty well with people of different cultures and backgrounds without thinking them strange or wrong if they do things differently than I do. (Had plenty of experience dealing with different types of people in my job.)

Thank you all for the interesting posts, I am learning a lot. As far as wanting to be there, discipline, pushing yourself and the rest things haven't changed from my day. Here are things that were different from 70s and today. Being a horn player, back in my day the horns were also a big part of the difference between MB and DC. Besides having piston/rotor and looking totally different those old Gs played different. They were easy to overblow so we'd kid with MB people and tell them "Anyone can play beautiful music with a band horn, it takes practice and skill to do it with a DC beast bugle". (And that was only half a joke.) Because the horns looked so unlike a MB horn even people who never heard of DC know you weren't with a MB. Many times at parades people would see my horn and ask what kind of horn I had and what kind of group I was in. Neat feeling that you played something so unique. That was all part of my experience in DC also.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

I bring a different perspective. I marched in HS band and in a top-12 DCI corps, and in an ironic twist of fate, my HS band experience was more intense. I understand that is not typical, but my HS had a state-champion-caliber band driven by an extremely motivated and character-building director, while my drum corps was experiencing it's worst year in three decades due to all it's key staffers being on sabattical for assorted reasons.

After that, I found senior corps to be comparable to my junior corps experience in intensity (marching with a DCA-champion-caliber corps). Perhaps my background is part of the reason why I realize that "the experience" doesn't define the identity of the drum corps activity - because I know first-hand that marching band can provide a similar experience.

I see the point of those who say that some marching band kids "don't want to be there". But in my experience, when it's 99 degrees and 99% humidity, you'll see the same symptoms develop among drum corps participants. Maybe it is less of an issue in drum corps, especially the full-touring corps.