DCI and DCA's relationship? (curiosity killing me)

Heh, in 1979 we were at a DCA show about 80 miles away the night of DCI. This was after a parade done in the middle of a monsoon. DCA show got rain delayed so we hauled butt home to see the PBS telecast. Walked in the door just in time to hear the 1979 version of "after they age out that's it". I'm standing there with my corps stuff so I could dry it out and my response was "If there is no corps after 21, then what the #### was I doing all day with this horn."

That line has pised me off ever since......

Well there you have it. Look, we are not asking for money. I am not suggesting for "partnership". Just a simple recognition that "drum corps does exist outside of what you watch on the DCI telecast every year". Is that such a hard request? Look, DON'T do the old DCA snippet on the DCI telecast of you don't want to. Just change the way you make your "21 and it's over comment" to instead be "21 is where it ends IN THIS PARTICULAR ARENA of drum corps". Is that not a "fair" request? Tell me if it IS too much to ask. I would love and welcome a valid reason. Perhaps calling the usual comment a "lie" like I did earlier is a stretch (now that I reason about it a little more). Rather, it is only telling HALF of the truth. And again, WHY?

Edited by torn8o

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EXACTLY...which IS my point. Why do they not do that "ANYMORE" and instead...make a comment that "you can't march anymore after age 21". That's exactly my point, DCI does not take that approach anymore. My question is, "why" and "what would it hurt to start doing so again"?

playing devil's advocate:

Where does DCI benefit by doing this? Why waste their air time promoting another (and in some eyes rival) organization?

(DCA must successfully market itself as well, and not worry about free crumbs from DCI/BOA/WGI. With so many new DCA corps, there is the possiblity of a true national circuit in a few years. Building things slow and steady will help, but in order to really market "drum corps for the people", more "people" gotta know about it. :) )

Hmmm every now and then you'll see a show with junior or and all-age corps at them. I know it doesn't happen as much anymore but in 2003 it happened a few times with div II/III and All-Aged.

for the most part, I know a lot of people who march both and I see that as being the only link between the two. I don't honestly think there should have to be a link however. They are two different organizations running on separate sets of rules. Thats would be like asking the NFL and the XFL(when it existed) to help each other out. One was run obviously by the NFL, the other well, basically by the World Wrestling Entertainment..hah. Honestly, DCA and DCI would both be fine without either one of them having involved in the other.

and I like them both, so don't bash me. hah.

Hmmm every now and then you'll see a show with junior or and all-age corps at them. I know it doesn't happen as much anymore but in 2003 it happened a few times with div II/III and All-Aged.

for the most part, I know a lot of people who march both and I see that as being the only link between the two. I don't honestly think there should have to be a link however. They are two different organizations running on separate sets of rules. Thats would be like asking the NFL and the XFL(when it existed) to help each other out. One was run obviously by the NFL, the other well, basically by the World Wrestling Entertainment..hah. Honestly, DCA and DCI would both be fine without either one of them having involved in the other.

and I like them both, so don't bash me. hah.

Valid points. But again, it's not really what I'm driving at. I'm not suggeting that the two "help each other out". I'm suggesting that...screw it...I'll say it...Steve Rondinaro stop saying that "you can't march drum corps after 21". Seriously, it's a slap in the face. It's offensive. Instead, just say "DCI only allows you to march drum corps until 21 unlike other various orginizations of similar nature"...or something along those lines. That's all I'm getting at.

Well there you have it. Look, we are not asking for money. We are not asking for "partnership". Just a simple recognition that "drum corps does exist outside of what you watch on the DCI telecast every year". Is that such a hard request. Look, DON'T do the snippet on the DCI telecast of you don't want to. Just change the way you make your "21 and it's over comment" to instead be "21 is where it ends IN THIS PARTICULAR ARENA of drum corps". Is that not a "fair" request?

I'd be happy with just "after 21 they can no longer march with their corps"..... No mention of DCA and truthful. I wonder if any young people who never heard about corps saw the ESPN telecast and checked out the DCI website (it was mentioned enoguh times). Then they googled "Drum Corps" and found out about DCA and Alumni corps. "What a minute, Rondo said after 21 that's it.... WTF???"

I'd be happy with just "after 21 they can no longer march with their corps"..... No mention of DCA and truthful. I wonder if any young people who never heard about corps saw the ESPN telecast and checked out the DCI website (it was mentioned enoguh times). Then they googled "Drum Corps" and found out about DCA and Alumni corps. "What a minute, Rondo said after 21 that's it.... WTF???"

You know what? The kids in the Tennessee band scene are saying that now that MCL exists. They don't know what to make of us and on my own message board there are discussions going on of this nature as we speak.

Edited by torn8o

I no idea that DCA even existed until I joined THE KILTIES in 2002. Even in 1999 when the Senior Showcase was going on I heard nothing of it while I was there. There is room for everybody to grow and prosper. I agree that DCI should focus on DCI cause thats who they are. DCA should do all it can to make the circuit coast to coast. They are doing it right by taking it one step at a time. Example of what not to do( the fast expansion of hockey).

DCI and DCA should help each other out. Drum corps is drum corps is drum corps. There is enough for ALL to enjoy. Put away the egos and shake hands towards a common goal.

WWBD

GTKYA

So who is DCA's version of "He Hate Me"? :P

Simple..............Lee ^0^