DCI and DCA's relationship? (curiosity killing me)

As long as there is relative conversation involving the topic, and NOT personal attacks, or the good ole "Junior vs Senior - Which is better?" type banter, discuss away.

Well, that certainly is not my purpose in starting the thread. If it does get that way, I will ignore my own thread.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that certainly is not my purpose in starting the thread. If it does get that way, I will ignore my own thread.

All good, just throwing it out there. :)

Lets not forget though, that DCI's charter is Junior Drum Corps. That's fine. We have "free association" in this country.

But, especially on the east coast, kids usually build their chops in "all age corps" and then move on to the juniors and then go back to the all age corps till they die.

What I find sad, disturbing, what ever other adjective I'm too sick to think of right now is the disconnect between the two organizations.

We should be helping each other. If DCI thinks DCA doesn't have anything to offer by way of $$$ and butts in seats, they're crazy.

Take a look at DCI today. I don't even subscribe to it anymore. It's FILLED with horror stories of "What are you going to do once you age out" and the response is always about how sad it's going to be that they can't be in drum corps anymore.

NO MENTION OF SENIOR CORPS ANYWHERE.

DCI not even acknowledging that DCA exists is a little like the three ugly stepsisters tryin to vie for the Prince's attention to get him not to see Cinderella.

From what I remember Don As follow up to the "reliving their youth" line was along the lines of he learned a lot about DCA and the All Age side since then and he now knows better. Basically he retracted his words and said he understood why folks got upset. #### even I gave him an attaboy for the latter comments.

Things are better between DCI and DCA than they used to be...

BUT!!!!! Hearing Reliable Rondos "after 21 they can no longer march" line every year in the telecast makes me think some DCI folks are still in the 1970s mindset of each side pretending the other doesn't exist. Would be like if someone in the current administration started calling Russia the Eveil Empire (Ronald Reagen pre-USSR breakup term).

Edit: Just saw Lisas post. The ignore #### has been going on since at least the late 1970s.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Lets not forget though, that DCI's charter is Junior Drum Corps. That's fine. We have "free association" in this country.

Agreed.

But, especially on the east coast, kids usually build their chops in "all age corps" and then move on to the juniors and then go back to the all age corps till they die.

Which is DCI's first clue that DCA DOES have something to offer them. Of course, they will say "that is what b/cadet corps and amaller scale Division II and II corps are for. VALID! But, DCA offer a little more in my opinion by being able to offer aspiring DCI finalist potentials the opportunity to march with seasoned vets who have been there and done it. That's PRICELESS experience if you ask me (and not to slide the Division II/III corps though either - obviously, they offer FANTASITC opportunities themselves)

What I find sad, disturbing, what ever other adjective I'm too sick to think of right now is the disconnect between the two organizations.

We should be helping each other. If DCI thinks DCA doesn't have anything to offer by way of $$$ and butts in seats, they're crazy.

Take a look at DCI today. I don't even subscribe to it anymore. It's FILLED with horror stories of "What are you going to do once you age out" and the response is always about how sad it's going to be that they can't be in drum corps anymore.

DCI not even acknowledging that DCA exists is a little like the three ugly stepsisters tryin to vie for the Prince's attention to get him not to see Cinderella.

Yes, I have noticed that and this may perhaps be where my real motivation is in starting this thread. So, DCI does not want to "scratch DCI's back" financially etc...fine...I don't think anyone is asking them to anyway. What I want is for DCI to acknowledge the existance of DCA. Just mention DCA once and a while for cryin out loud - as they used to (as I mentioned in my first thread). DCI and DCA - though having different missions should be able to live together acknowledging that each other is "doing drum corps also".

Note: this is not an accusation of DCI or DCA of anything. Just my own viewpoints.

It's about who you market your product to. DCI turned away from what they term the "legacy fan" when it almost went under in the mid-90's to focus more on the marching band enthusiast and the attendant circuits (BOA/TOB,etc) that they represent, with their (and their parents) money.

There has been much made of the relationship between DCI and BOA, even so far as to have the offices in the same building in the future. This puts DCI into a squarely "music education" mode, where they feel like they have the best chance of survival. The subtle shift to a more BOA type show and the I&E accoutrement that we've seen come along is part of that as well.

In short, I don't think DCI knows what to do with DCA (ugly stepsister analogy might be appropriate :P ). It's part of what they're moving away from somewhat, but at the same time DCI's product is far more similar to DCA's right now than BOA's is. Following the money and sponsorships, though, it seems the choice has been made.

I don't think we'll see a level of abandonment on the order of DCM, but I doubt we'll really see the DCI/DCA relationship progress much more than it is now: simple acknowledgement and the occasional show together.

It would be AWESOME to see DCI and DCA get together...to put the marketing and merchandise out there on the website, "Legacy DVD's", the Renegades and Cavaliers at a show together...etc... to have both organizations be "Drum Corps United States"...but the goals, at least as of right now, seem to be too far apart to do much more.

I dunno.

Edited by bawker

From what I remember Don As follow up to the "reliving their youth" line was along the lines of he learned a lot about DCA and the All Age side since then and he now knows better. Basically he retracted his words and said he understood why folks got upset. #### even I gave him an attaboy for the latter comments.

Cool! VERY cool!

Things are better between DCI and DCA than they used to be...

BUT!!!!! Hearing Reliable Rondos "after 21 they can no longer march" line every year in the telecast makes me think some DCI folks are still in the 1970s mindset of each side pretending the other doesn't exist. Would be like if someone in the current administration started calling Russia the Eveil Empire (Ronald Reagen pre-USSR breakup term).

Edit: Just saw Lisas post. The ignore #### has been going on since at least the late 1970s.

Yeah, see. Again, that is what makes me mad. In fact, watching a little of the 95 telecast today and hearing him say that is part of what sparked me wanting to start this thread. COME ON DCI! Stop acting like DCA doesn't exist and for crying out loud don't EVER say that "you can't march after 21" because in reality...that is a lie. If you must - just say it like it is - you cannot march in the DCI ARENA after 21. Don't just make a blanket statement that "you can no longer march". Again, that is a lie. Not just on the basis of senior corps either but in light of Blast and the various other professional marching activities that have come and gone over the years like Disney. There is ALWAYS a place to continue what you started in DCI drum corps. Whether as a hobby or even professionally. Stop saying "it's over at 21". That's an insult to those who have continued on - contributing a great deal to the WHOLE activity - including DCI.

Edited by torn8o

Heh, in 1979 we were at a DCA show about 80 miles away the night of DCI. This was after a parade done in the middle of a monsoon. DCA show got rain delayed so we hauled butt home to see the PBS telecast. Walked in the door just in time to hear the 1979 version of "after they age out that's it". I'm standing there with my corps stuff so I could dry it out and my response was "If there is no corps after 21, then what the #### was I doing all day with this horn."

That line has pised me off ever since......

ummmmmm.........I learned about senior corps from watching a dci telecast from the 90's when I was still in high school. If it wasn't for dci including a little snippet in thier finals broadcast, I wouldn't have know what senior corps was.

EXACTLY...which IS my point. Why do they not do that "ANYMORE" and instead...make a comment that "you can't march anymore after age 21"? That's exactly my point, DCI does not take that approach anymore. My question is, "why" and "what would it hurt to start doing so again"?

Edited by torn8o