2006 DCI Classic Countdown

I dont know about you... but I think it'd be effing hilarious if Crown 04 got the most votes.

JUST to see what some of the reactions would be.

~>conner

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth, here is a look at the vote totals from last year's Countdown:

1. 1989 Santa Clara Vanguard -- 3,418 votes

2. 1975 Madison Scouts -- 3,224 votes

3. 2002 Cavaliers -- 2,994 votes

4. 1991 Star of Indiana -- 2,832 votes

5. 2000 Cadets -- 2,763 votes

6. 1976 Blue Devils -- 2,673 votes

7. 1996 Phantom Regiment -- 1,859 votes

8. 1974 Anaheim Kingsmen -- 1,197 votes

9. 1980 27th Lancers -- 1,187 votes

10. 2000 Boston Crusaders -- 1,143 votes

11. 1980 Spirit of Atlanta -- 902 votes

12. 1992 Velvet Knights -- 303 votes

Thats great for the shows that made it. I would like to see the COMPLETE list of vote totals.

I am betting at least a half dozen to a dozen shows from BD/SCV/PR/Cadets got more votes than several than several that made the countdown due to the restraints of the voting rules.

Not griping, just curious.

I dont know about you... but I think it'd be effing hilarious if Crown 04 got the most votes.

JUST to see what some of the reactions would be.

~>conner

The reaction wouldn't be any different from me, because everybody has their way of getting their alumni to vote. All corps get their alumni's to vote, it was on Crown's website they were rallying for this show. There is nothing wrong with that, but I'm just saying that most alumni's tend to go with the majority.

Personally, I like this show take away the singing and poetry...and it would be a favorite of mine. Anyway, as others have stated it was because the other years had taken the votes for the other corps as well..so...does it really matter?

While I can understand some being slightly upset about what corps got voted in, I think some may have the wrong idea about this "Classic Countdown." This is not a vote for the absolute best 12 shows of all time. The first one wasn't either. The only way to do that is to eliminate how many corps you can vote for each decade, as well as only allowing one corps from one year if it receives enough votes.

For instance, Madison 95 may have received more votes than Crossmen 1992, but because it did not receive more votes than Madison 1988 it is not in this Countdown.

Although it may be called "Classic" countdown, please do not read into this as though it is some sort of best of list. This is no more than a fans vote on what they would like to see in the theater.

We should all be pleased, because 1) this is a great lineup, and 2) we voted for it. Like it or not this is democracy in action. And you are allowed to not like it, but just understand that if yoour favorite show didn't make it, it's not because it wasn't one of the top 12 or top 24 of all time. Since Bluecoats 2005 and Crown 2004 were on the ballot, they were allowed to be voted in...and they were. Deal with it.

Personally, I think this is one heck of a lineup, maybe better than the first.

The Blue Devils of 1979 are just fabulous, and Bridgemen 1980, what for a tremendous drum feature and overall killer show with football game and all. 1984 Garfield is perhaps one of the quintessential shows of our time, or any time, in the history of drum corps. It is a GIANT, and still perhaps the best West Side Story production of all time. Star of Indiana 1993 is one of the most talked about shows of all time, and certainly one of the best performed and most controversial. The Cavaliers "Planets" show is just amazing drill and music, and nothing can match the power of Phantom Regiment's 1989 classic. Throw SCV 99 and 27 1975 in there and you have one heck of a show.

Smile. It's all good!

Jonathan

Well said, Jonathan!

I'd just like to add a little background information in regard to some earlier posts by Matt “ Maedhros”, and Stephanie “Lancerlady”. (Hi Steph! Hope that you’re well!)

There weren't that many "jokes" built into our shows. It really wasn't just about the "jokes”! (So, Matt, it’s not like you were missing something! :P) That was more VK's style, and they really did a beautiful job with putting out a great corps, AND injecting A LOT of humor into their performance. (Who can ever forget the shark”?!?!)

While there was quite a bit of fun, and silliness in our shows, we were better known for our very different and radical approach, overall, from most corps during that time period. We would often inject something that was rather unusual, but not necessarily funny. Many of our “jokes” were tongue-in-cheek, or anti-establishment. Come on! Bobby Hoffman was our program director, and he had some really wild, and creative ideas, (obviously!), and assistants! For example, our color guard was dancing at a time when most corps wouldn't even consider it! Our guard didn’t dance for the duration of the performance. Instead, dance was utilized as a performance enhancement, maybe 20-25% of the time. We performed our "Bridgemen Shuffle", based on what many "drill teams" had been known for, at the time. The “shuffle” certainly contributed toward our very unique style, and look, and the audiences always showed their appreciation each time it was performed! (Interesting side note: In 79, after finals in Birmingham, I traveled to Florida with the 27th Lancers. I was very fortunate to march with them in Disney World, & it was really a thrill (and very funny) to see them all doing the “Bridgemen Shuffle” during part of the parade!!!)

At any rate, humor was part of the Bridgemen package, but not as much as being innovative, and different from the status quo!

At the time, there were several criticisms, from many in the drum corps activity, especially in regard to the use of props, costumes, and dancing. I did find it amusing, however, that, a few years into the 80s, many of our detractors were utilizing the same innovations, only to a MUCH larger extent!!! And we’re talking about many corps that had previously embraced a very rigid military style, with little, or no props, costumes, or dancing!

Of course, not everyone appreciated, (nor appreciates) our style, and performances. But, that's true of every corps, IMHO. Personally, I have my favorites, and then there are those corps, which, for whatever reasons, I’m not particularly fond of. We all have our preferences, one way or the other.

People usually either love, or hate the Bridgemen. (The 1976-1987 versions…a/k/a the “Coats” era). That's OK. You can’t please everyone, right? ($1 to Rick Nelson!) We live in America, and we all have the right to our own opinions.

Please just bear in mind that during several seasons, the Bridgemen horn line, and drum lines fared extremely well against the competition. (Of course, our drum lines won the championships in 80, 81, and 82!) We also had some very talented color guards! The bottom line is that for several years, we enjoyed a great deal of success, and had a d%#@ good corps!!!

Finally, please be certain that the Bridgemen have always, and will always put every ounce of our hearts, and souls into making our drum corps into something very special.

Hope that sheds a little more light on things!

Thanks again to all that voted for the 1980 Bridgemen for this year’s Classic Countdown!

Jim Jordan

Thats great for the shows that made it. I would like to see the COMPLETE list of vote totals.

I am betting at least a half dozen to a dozen shows from BD/SCV/PR/Cadets got more votes than several than several that made the countdown due to the restraints of the voting rules.

Me too. :blink:

Yeah. Even though it looks like Vanguard '99 got the most votes out of any Vanguard show, (if that's the way it is), IMO, Vanguard 74, 75, 78, 79, 87, and 04 are better. It's kind of a bummer when truly great shows can't be shown because of the "one corps appearance only" thing. I guess this applies to the corps who have a great catalog of shows. But that's why we have the Legacy DVD's. But it would be cool to see, Bridgemen 77, BD 86, Cavie's 04, and the SCV shows listed above, along with Kingsmen 72 and 73. Dare to dream.

Hope that sheds a little more light on things!

It certainly does! Thanks for that, Jim. That post certainly helps to understand and appreciate the attitude and background of the corps a little more. I just wish I had the chance to see more Bridgemen shows at the countdown, rather than the 1980 show which I already have. Maybe next year!

It's kind of a bummer when truly great shows can't be shown because of the "one corps appearance only" thing.

Actually, that is my favorite feature about these countdowns. Otherwise, the night would be monopolized by three or four corps and those corps get enough attention as it is. Not that their shows aren't great, but there are a lot of other corps out there, many of whom have never won a championship, who have put on some great shows that often get overlooked because so many people are focused on the same three or four corps who win all the time.

05 bluecoats was the only place i liked the vocals

and it sounded better then the mics for the cadets and bd

To each their own. For my taste, the Bluecoats drumspeak was an example of amplified voice done very poorly. It placed absolutely zero demand on the performer or the ensemble, and it was downright un-interesting, if not boring. In my opinion, it is absurd to compare the Cadets drumspeak (which involved several performers articulating difficult passages together) with the Bluecoats (which involved one performer repeating the same un-interesting chant over and over). Sorry, Bluecoats had a good corps last year, however, their show was very forgettable and overrated.