2006 DCI Classic Countdown

well, no offense, but you do need to lay off Bluecoats and Crown... We all have shows/corps we dont like, but we dont have to be so hardcore in stateing it.

:)

::falls back into crowd::

~>conner

because my opinion is different than yours ?

:sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh:

offense taken. But its OK.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning!

Having read all 15 pages of this thread...

1. There is a "new" Canadian group in the west...Pride of the Lions Drum & Bugle Corps. They began last year as an offshoot of the Regina Lions music program - even came out for Div II/III championships! They plan on touring this year too. My favorite group is Blue Saints. They have the heart and spirit of a great corps - even though they've never placed anywhere but last. The corps has eight year old and 21 year olds who look after the youngsters. And at I&E - the entire corps shows up to cheer their buddies on.

2. Love the selections. All of them. Gonna be a fun night. Would have liked to have seen Blue Stars, SkyRyders, and Suncoast Sound...and FREELANCERS! but that's where the votes fell.

3. I'm thinking next year - how about a DCI Valentine? Pick the best ballads, closers, and drum solos. Mix them up and watch the sparks! BTW many years ago on RAMD, I took a poll for the best ballads and got these results (note that this was PRE-1996!) The list went something like this...

Let It Be Me - Spirit of Atlanta

When A Man Loves A Woman - Blue Devils

People in Love (Theme from "Competition") - Blue Devils

Since I Fell for You - Blue Devils

Bird & Bela in Bb - Blue Devils (*)

The Greatest Love - 27th

Theme from "Ice Castles" - Madison

Theme from "Brian's Song" - Madison

The Way We Were - Madison

Softly As I Leave You - Cavaliers

Somewhere from "West Side Story" - Cadets & Cavaliers

With You I'm Born Again - Freelancers

Even Now - Freelancers

My Funny Valentine - Bluecoats

I Go On - Blue Knights (*)

Romeo & Juliet - Phantom Regiment

Claire de Lune - Phantom Regiment

Can't Help Falling in Love - Memphis Blues Brass Band

I'm sure the list would grow immensely now!

4. On 1999 SCV - I was very close to the corps that year and "intense" does not begin to describe what those kids went through. Actually in just a four month period - from May when they lost a 'brother' to August when they won gold to September when they 'lost' their director, it was roller coaster of unbelievable and unforgettable times.

There were funny moments too like when I came the last week going into finals and saw that all the new guard uniforms were hanging off their bodies! (The fabric didn't hold its shape and when it got wet - like ALL the time - it would absorb the water and hang at the cuffs, pulling the fabric down. The ladies looked like they had hanging chests and the guys had trouble negotiating the extra fabric around their feet. I guess - funny in retrospect.)

But in the eight years my daughter marched, I never experienced a more intense group. They were driven like madmen, encouraged by staff and fans, wearing their passion like a heart on their sleeves...or better analogy, like a star on their chest. It was not my favorite show (I adored 2001 for the sheer joy) but it certainly gave new meaning to 'dark horse' (they climbed a spot each night as I recall) and exhilaration. As you watch their show, realize the pain and loss they experienced. That with that loss, they bonded and became one corps with one mind, one heart, and one noble spirit.

MAV

Good morning!

Having read all 15 pages of this thread...

3. I'm thinking next year - how about a DCI Valentine? Pick the best ballads, closers, and drum solos. Mix them up and watch the sparks! BTW many years ago on RAMD, I took a poll for the best ballads and got these results (note that this was PRE-1996!) The list went something like this...

Let It Be Me - Spirit of Atlanta

When A Man Loves A Woman - Blue Devils

People in Love (Theme from "Competition") - Blue Devils

Since I Fell for You - Blue Devils

Bird & Bela in Bb - Blue Devils (*)

The Greatest Love - 27th

Theme from "Ice Castles" - Madison

Theme from "Brian's Song" - Madison

The Way We Were - Madison

Softly As I Leave You - Cavaliers

Somewhere from "West Side Story" - Cadets & Cavaliers

With You I'm Born Again - Freelancers

Even Now - Freelancers

My Funny Valentine - Bluecoats

I Go On - Blue Knights (*)

Romeo & Juliet - Phantom Regiment

Claire de Lune - Phantom Regiment

Can't Help Falling in Love - Memphis Blues Brass Band

I'm sure the list would grow immensely now!

MAV

I think you are on to something here..what a brilliant idea...I love these selections as well...cool beans.. :huh:

Edited by Lancerlady

because my opinion is different than yours ?

:sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh:

offense taken. But its OK.

having a different opinion is one thing -- bashing a corps is another.

~>conner

kinda disappointed scouts '95 didn't get on there, oh well though '88 rules. looks like a solid group, some of the early shows i've never seen so it will definitely be a treat. i would hope that through all this we can come together to enjoy an activity we all love. don't choose to stay home because a certain corps is/isn't on the list. :)

Put it this way:

You can say something totally sucks, and still phrase it in a respectful manner. :)

There are quite a few people on here who've mastered the fine art of totally bashing something with tact so that it seems like nothing but a simple, respectful observation on his or her part.

Everyone, theoretically, has a right to state whatever opinions in whatever manner. However, at the very least, to make sure this great place doesn't turn into RAMD-H*ll, it's all about not being a bull in a verbal china shop.

With that said, I can't wait to see this year's countdown! Love the lineup, and it'll be nice to finally catch that BD show, one of the 2 of theirs from the DCI era that I haven't seen.

I voted for Oakland and Dutch Boy this year. :)

And Canada still has corps. Dutch Boy, St. John's, HYPE, Blue Saints, Bandettes are just some of the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I voted for Dutch Boy and Oakland this year as well. I also posted a request in the Dutch Boy alumni forum to go to dci.org and vote for Dutch. Oh well, I guess not enough votes ... maybe next time. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Congratulations to all those that made the list this time around.

I don't know why you say that you feel that some think todays corps are sacriligious...but..I'm more puzzled why you don't like this show? Don't you realize if it hadn't been for Bridgmen...there would..oh never mind...But Bridgmen made it because they had alot of support, plain and simple. :) I personally would've liked 1977 Bridgemen to make it and question what happened there cause it seemed like the votes were headed for that year more then the 80 show.

Steph, believe me that I wouldn't say the comments I did, if I had not seen video of the show. Nor am I trying to condemn Bridgemen as a corps; I voted for the '77 show, at your request, because I'd like the chance to see more of them. I can only say that the '80 show isn't my cup of tea. I've watched it a number of times, maybe not on a big screen, but I can't really say that I've enjoyed it. I realize there's a joke there, but I'm not sure that I ever "got" it. I also realize that Bridgemen are probably most responsible for adding a sense of fun to drum and bugle corps, and for that I'm thankful. But in the end, it's a show I've seen before and I can think of other shows I'd rather see, even from that decade.

But hey, like I said in my earlier post, the show made it in because others wanted to see it. I certainly respect that, and will act accordingly, and who knows, maybe I'll find something new that I like in the show. :)

This year's countdown is puzzling, but it's done by vote. I wish that DCI would release the real numbers, so we could see who got the most votes, (I believe that some corps got a lot of votes, but didn't make it because they were already on the countdown by getting alot of votes for another year.) I would like to see a list of ALL the votes. I was a little bummed by not seeing Santa Clara ('74 or '75,), Oakland '76, Bridgemen '77, Blue Devils '86, and was disappointed to see Crown '04, (because I can't stand narration, singing and the Amps, no disrespect to the kids, the rest of the show was good), and I really loved Cavie's '04 Bond show, and Cadet's '04 Tull show, but that's IMO. I hope everyone will get a little taste of what they want. I'll go, but I'll also put in my Legacy Collection DVD's from time to time to check out my favorites.