Highest temperature ever.....

1988. The whole season. Those that marched know what I am talking about.

Elmo Blatch

Yeah I remember going over the Mighty Mississippi River and it looking very much like a little stream.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which day or summer you can remember, was just so d#mn hot?

I remember Crossmen 2001, i think it was in Arkadelphia (or so?) Can't remember exactly how hot is was (around 110-115), but i DO know it was a rehaersel day.

If that was the day I think it was, I was actually concerned that we probably shouldn't be out there for as long as we were.

That was the school where there was an electric sign out front that kept blinking the time and temperature every few seconds. And it was in plain view of EVERYONE on the field. All day long, in the middle of rehearsal, we watched as the temperature kept going up and up. 101...103...107...116!!! I think that's the highest it got to.

It was 105-110 in Madison in '95. You know, in the South it's normal to be that hot, so you expect it. But, this was Madison, in Wisconsin, which isn't in the South. Man, I remember thinking the day before that is was going to be nice and cool in Madison. WRONG!!!!! It was 90 when we got off the bus at 7:00am. No air conditioning. Hottest showers ever.

It was a day of total suck!!!!

1988. The whole season. Those that marched know what I am talking about.

Elmo Blatch

You said it! Unfreaking believably hot - EVERYWHERE!

Anyone remember the show in Fort Wayne, IN that summer? It was like 111 degrees at 11 PM at night. Retreat was cancelled (DM only - thank god!), kids passing out left and right - not a fun night. I remember taking my uniform top off and undershirt, and literally rining out sweat from the shirt - not a few drops mind you. It was like I had just jumped into a pool with my shirt on and needed to ring it out.

Then there was the tropical storm that hit the gulf coast after DCI South in Birmingham, which cancelled a couple of shows. I know we spent a few days on ensemble music rehersal in the pouring rain before bailing out and heading to Houston for the next show that had not yet been cancelled.

What a summer.

The hottest I have ever been was at the 1987 DCI South Prelims in Birmingham, Alabama.

After prelims, we went back to our school and the staff cancelled the afternoon rehearsal before Finals that night.

That day gave new meaning to "Ritual Fire Dance!!!"

Tony

By the way. The day after Birmingham, we were in Atlanta and they called the show off due to heat. We were in warm-up and the corps on the field had several kids pass out. I believe we did a standstill instead.

Pre-DCI...1971 VFW Nats...at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas

While standing just outside the gate waiting to enter the stadium for prelims, I overheard one security guard tell another that it was 130 degrees on the field.

Our prelims performance was at 1 PM that day. Inspection was killer hot!

Sure don't miss inspection.

The hottest I have ever been was at the 1987 DCI South Prelims in Birmingham, Alabama.

After prelims, we went back to our school and the staff cancelled the afternoon rehearsal before Finals that night.

That day gave new meaning to "Ritual Fire Dance!!!"

Tony

By the way. The day after Birmingham, we were in Atlanta and they called the show off due to heat. We were in warm-up and the corps on the field had several kids pass out. I believe we did a standstill instead.

Tony according to the almanac for Saturday, August 1, 1987;

TEMPERATURE

MINIMUM

TEMPERATURE

72.0°F

Minimum temperature reported during the day.

MEAN TEMPERATURE

85.0°F

Mean temperature for the day.

MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE

100.0°F

Maximum temperature

reported during the day.

Of course down south when it gets humid, 70 sometimes feels like 80.