Highest temperature ever.....

Then again, the almanac wasn't there at Legion Field, where I saw with my own eyes the thermometer reading of 125 degrees on the astroturf for Prelims.

I'm sure the temps were a few degrees hotter on astroturf. The Almanac can only give you what was reported. :beer:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last year, texas. idk where, dallas maybe? rehearsal on a brand new astrotuf field. the little rubber bits had not sunken into the tuf yet. they were everywhere. there was a heat advisory out for that day telling people not to go outside. it was between 120-130 on the field. oh boy. thank god there wasn't a ton of humidity. that day was hot. didn't suck as much as florida though. i hate orlando. tooooo humid.

The hottest I have ever been was at the 1987 DCI South Prelims in Birmingham, Alabama.

After prelims, we went back to our school and the staff cancelled the afternoon rehearsal before Finals that night.

That day gave new meaning to "Ritual Fire Dance!!!"

Tony

By the way. The day after Birmingham, we were in Atlanta and they called the show off due to heat. We were in warm-up and the corps on the field had several kids pass out. I believe we did a standstill instead.

If my memory is correct, a Japanese corps / band was the first to go on that afternoon in Atlanta and had at least 5 kids fall out during the performance due to the heat. The show was cancelled and all corps did a stand-still, many in half uniform...except Spirit. We decided that it wasnt' too hot so we marched the show in uniform.

I think you are coerrect about the solar flares.But personally,it was 1987,DCI midwest prelims in St Louis.astro turf and heat suck diddley uck.I 'm sure I burned my feet that day.

Just for a little reality...

How 'bout actual temperatures, not the heat rising off the astroturf since that's not an official number.

I checked some records, 'cause I was curious:

Record high in Michigan is 112 in 1936

Kansas 121

Arkansas 120

Texas 120

All in 1936

Iowa 118

Oklahoma 120

Both in 1934

The hottest summer I remember was 1988. Dry and hot. I remember rehearsing somewhere in Iowa in blazing heat and then hearing later on the radio that it had hit a record 113 degrees that day (record for whatever town it was; you'd think I could remember a town name after a day like that!). I've never had sunburn blisters worse than the ones I got that day. Not even close.

G

Yah, that was a fun day. How about Biloxi Mississippi 89? That was the only show I ever felt sick after.

The almanac is accurate for telling the air temperature as it actually is. As has been stated numerous times, the astroturf heats up the air significantly. That said, the almanac states that there was a high of 97.0 degrees in the Brockton area at grand finals this year. It was pretty bad - I think prelims might've been worse, regardless of what the almanac says.

A little off topic:

The day I landed in Kuwait in August of 1992 the temp on the tarmac was 154. The official world record temperature is only 134.

The hottest day I remember in drum corps was Loomis in 2003, just as Sam already stated--that day sucked. I think it was only 116 or so.

88 was the hottest summer.

We were in Jonesboro Arkansas when the thermometer hit 117

You the city right but the year and temp are off. In '87 in Jonesboro the practiced in 127 degree heat. 15 minute water breaks every hour and for the show that night the air was so dead the show had no projection and the bugs were so thick you could barely see the stands. We rehearsed all day and we found out Cavs had a laundry day that day.