Highest temperature ever.....

At Whitewater in 83, I came off the field feeling like my back was literally on fire. I don't even think it was that unbelievably hot, just humid and miserable. But 1988 was the worst.

I remember a day during first season, a Tuesday I think, no show, just practice. It felt like the sun was about 30 feet away. I kept yelling to the horn line how hot it was in Toledo, in Longview, Wash., in Kitchener, in Casper, etc. They knew what I was saying, and it was a good practice. By the end of the day I yearned for the sweet embrace of proud death, but what can you do? Get a good sleep and hope for a cooler day tomorrow.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the 70's corps did not give a lot of thought to hydration. I have no idea of the temperature, but I remember one show in Butler PA, where La Salle Cadets lost about 15 kids (passed out from the heat) when they finished their show.

I can't remember the exact temperatures...

New Mexico

Arizona

Were the hottest places I think... It was dry heat, and the ground was just too hot! I remember in 2003, our brass instructors having us go inside the auditorium at some high school in New Mexico just to do brass rehearsal, and this lasted well into the evening, because it was still hot when the sun did finally set.

2004, the staff said "forget it" and we took a long siesta for the hot part of the day (some went to the near by pool)... Swimming would have felt good, but as soon as those who went did, they were all tired, HOT because the swimming was just a thrill for the time they were actually in the water, and unrested... Siesta in the nice cool gym was the way to go!

When I look back on it now, there were some hotter places in the Midwest and East Coast, but it just felt muggy!

In most places, the sun shines in the sky. In Texas, it sits on your shoulders and bellows at you. However, the two hottest days I can remember weren't there.

In 2001, somewhere in Kansas: We got off the bus at about 8 AM (We were going to take a couple of hours of floor time). I remember it was warm even then-- it felt like noon in most places. By the time rehearsal started, it was brutal. We huddled around shade trees when we could, and took a long break in the school's AC.

Lincoln, Nebraska, 2004: We had several rehearsal days there. It was rediculously hot out, and the turf field was probably about 115 degrees. Rehearsal went pretty well, actually, so we didn't feel like slackers for taking a couple of 15-20 minute lemonade breaks. The fun part about this school, though, was that they had shut off the AC (I guess they had no summer classes). We were sleeping in the cafeteria and had two industrial fans going. I stripped down to my shorts and slept on top of my sleeping bag...and was still hot.

We had smores for snacks there, and one of the volunteers said they didn't need to even put them in the oven. I'm not sure she was kidding.

You the city right but the year and temp are off. In '87 in Jonesboro the practiced in 127 degree heat. 15 minute water breaks every hour and for the show that night the air was so dead the show had no projection and the bugs were so thick you could barely see the stands. We rehearsed all day and we found out Cavs had a laundry day that day.

Wasn't that the day Brad Shannon came on the bus and opened the window with the broken frame, and the glass fell and shattered all over the parking lot? We had to spend the rest of tour with a piece of plywood covering the spot where the window was.

1993 DCI Championships week Jackson, Miss.

2005 Natomas, Ca. It was 118 when the show started.

And all I can say is THANK GOD us old farts went on at night!!!!

We had one sop with a bad asthma problem make it through the show -- she ended up spending the night in the hospital and coming back to LA with one of the other members who'd driven from San Diego (she was lucky...the ride back was pure ####....and not becuase of the temp).

Honestly, had that been a day show, I don't think she would've survived the show...

'03 in texas....

they said it was about 120 is degrees out, but since we were rehersing on some new synthetic turf w/ the black rubber things in them, it felt like 140. my feet were literially burning in my dinkles. (it was an aussie and dinkle ensemble rehersal)

def. an expierence, and i can appreciate living up in the northeast after that.

Prelims at DCI South in Birmingham, Alabama... Any year.

But in particular, I remember 1987 Birmingham Prelims when the Sky Ryders went on in the middle of the day. With that ghastly head radiating off the turf. We were wearing Capezio dance shoes with a very thin flimsy leather sole instead of legitimate marching shoes that year. <**> (It was kinda like marching in socks... that's all the support we had.) I remember a few people in the corps were actually crying on the field during some of the halted sets. You could literally feel the bottoms of your feet start to sizzle after a few seconds of halting. It was really bad.

I seem to remember at least one sop player crying and having to get medical attention for his feet burns when we came off the field. :(

That's definitely one of the many things you can never understand about Drum Corps from watching the PBS broadcast and studying Corpsreps.com!

Completely agree. When I went on back in 91', it was 8 AM and 88 degrees, with about 70% humidity. A most miserable experience.