Brass Skill

all I am saying is horn lines can go farther then they have been. Yes the tapes are great, I think all corps use the to a point. I am talking about during tour, everyone stops practicing. I am just saying we should never be happy with how we are playing, we should want to be 10 times better every year as players.

Well, if you can't hear an unbelievable difference between hornlines in the 80s and hornlines today like you said in a previous post, I don't believe you're going to be able to tell a difference anyway

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the biggest collection of generalizations and BS I have seen. Bitter, party of one?? <**>

Drumcorps do plenty of teaching. No matter how good a musician you may be, there is always more you can learn.

Drumcorps is about performance, education, camraderie, and self-improvement. Members go to a corps that serves them the best. There are some "ringchasers" to be sure, but the vast majority of members stick to their corps.

VERY few people are even able to make a living at this activity.

Lots of good teaching going on out there. I am sorry that you didn't get your share.

Thats why I am in School :-) I have a LOT of #### to learn, another reason why I am talking here. I had some great teachers in DCI, the corps I marched with even did some privet lessons. But once tour started, it all stoped. I have a lot of #### to learn, but I never really get the vibe that brass players are pushing like the drummers are to be better then they were the year before. And of course, there are exseptions to everything.

Thats great! We need more of that, its a drive that you dont see in a lot of people about there playing in DCI.

Almost all corps do that, FYI.

Cadets and BD 84... :-)

OK, there are two corps. Are you even remotely insinuating that what those two corps did in 1984 was the norm??? As if all hornlines sounded like that in 1984? And then you insinuate that corps like 98 Cadets and 99 Glassmen were special, but THEY were the exception???

Sorry, but you should quit while you're behind. You can't even make up your own mind as to what your point of view is.

Thats why I am in School :-) I have a LOT of #### to learn, another reason why I am talking here. I had some great teachers in DCI, the corps I marched with even did some privet lessons. But once tour started, it all stoped. I have a lot of #### to learn, but I never really get the vibe that brass players are pushing like the drummers are to be better then they were the year before. And of course, there are exseptions to everything.

Dude..my response was directed at regularsopguy's post. I disagree with most of what you have said here, but my words were in response to his rant...not yours.

Though..what are you, crazy?!?!?!?! :P

Edited by tubamann

As a player, the summer is what YOU make of it. I got a LOT of great tips and ideas from our sop tech in 97 (Pat Hull Madison 87-91). I also got a lot of frustration to when it came to the stuff I was having to do everyday in the arc. He could tell that what we where doing is not what I studied and practiced every day. He came up to me after dinner on a non show night and said meet him in a classroom for a quick lesson. He explained my the "Why" we where doing what we are doing and most importantly, "what" I need to take from it to combine with what I do when the tour was over and "how" to aproach it.

That was great teaching.