what shows have made you think...

To be honest, pretty much every show out thre, except nearly all Cavalier shows, some SCV shows and G-99 and 01. To me there is something completely un-entertaining about drill that is composed of random squiggly lines moveing arounf for 11 minutes, with a few boxes tossed in. I think drill should always mean something. If there is a part where the horns add in, like sops, then mellos, then baris and then contras, the drill should reflect that. And about 90% of all drum corps shows I see have drill that has almost nothing to do with the show. And the drill itself isn't even that cool by itself.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing that made SCV's drill ineffective to me was all the hokey letters and pictures. It was a bit much. Also, Boston's show this year left alot to be desired drillwise, IMO.

I saw SCV 2005 twice, once in Allentown and once on the big screen during Quarter finals. I thought the best part was the letters. Wasn't it "USSR" evolving to "CCCP"? I suppose if I knew my history better I might remember.

Concering the previous post:

Reading DCP I've often thought most fans were pre-occupied with the "Big Six" corps. When I read this thread I though it really lent itself to the "other corps". I agree with G-Cym in that the Cavaliers seem to have a well constructed whole package, as do most of the perenial top corps. Personally I think "whole concept" drumcorps has a long way to go, and in particular drill writing. This is not a bust on drill writers, they already do what I couldn't dream of doing, but many corps have room to improve big time.

"Whole Concept" is when visual, drill and music guys sit down together from the begining. Every choice is examined, up to how many horn line members will make for the best drill sequences. I think the corps that can take a whole concept approach and execute it will definately see the numbers come their way. Let's face it, many corps write the music, then add drill and guard work later. An evolving show concept can and does work, but why not take it to the next level?

I know this doesn't answer the question so here it is: almost every show needs help.

I saw SCV 2005 twice, once in Allentown and once on the big screen during Quarter finals. I thought the best part was the letters. Wasn't it "USSR" evolving to "CCCP"? I suppose if I knew my history better I might remember.

Well from what I saw on the DVDs, I just didn't like it very much. I expect that kind of stuff from college marching bands. Still my favorite show of the year though (that and Phantom)

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

Concering the previous post:

Reading DCP I've often thought most fans were pre-occupied with the "Big Six" corps. When I read this thread I though it really lent itself to the "other corps". I agree with G-Cym in that the Cavaliers seem to have a well constructed whole package, as do most of the perenial top corps. Personally I think "whole concept" drumcorps has a long way to go, and in particular drill writing. This is not a bust on drill writers, they already do what I couldn't dream of doing, but many corps have room to improve big time.

"Whole Concept" is when visual, drill and music guys sit down together from the begining. Every choice is examined, up to how many horn line members will make for the best drill sequences. I think the corps that can take a whole concept approach and execute it will definately see the numbers come their way. Let's face it, many corps write the music, then add drill and guard work later. An evolving show concept can and does work, but why not take it to the next level?

I know this doesn't answer the question so here it is: almost every show needs help.

I think you're right about the long way to go. Think about the criticism that The Cavaliers get when the music and visual books are in tandem, or with the other in mind(not drill before music as some fools think). Even with great shows like Frameworks, they get criticized by some, many being older fans, that there is TOO MUCH attention to visual(??). I think for shows to really take the next leap, the people who are of marching age now, or recent age outs are going to have to take the reigns in a few years. And the people stuck in the old ways are going to need to take a back seat.

I tend to be disatsfied with at least a good deal of most shows that aren't written by Michael Gaines.

That's a shame. Gaines drill has been very very well written in my opinion, but it's so smooth that sometimes it doesn't show huge climax: more a long the lines of "in your face drill". Endings to me by him are never incredibly jaw dropping like

89 SCV, 90 Star, 91 Star, 99 SCV, 00 Cadets. Maybe it has something to do with the music.

Anyway, I don't mean this offensively but I've just noticed that the Drill Design with BD has always been (in my opinion) anti-climatic and lacking in effectiveness, apart from 2003 though which I thought was superb.

Edited by TommySopranoContra

Before seeing Phantom 96, I was expecting way more in my head when I listened to it audio only.

I was also unsatisfied with Cadets 02 and 03...remember the barrage of complains about the 02 drill being very cramped and unimaginative? I agree. And 03 was largely blah to me. Lately (post 01), otherwise cool things in Cadets drill just sometimes seem to take forever to develop that there's no wow...

Another random one in my head, especially given the years around it...was Garfield 88. Did anything happen in that show? I can't think of anything offhand, and I think I remember people saying they had tones of drill rewrites that year...

Cavaliers 2002 :P

~>conner