Brace yourselves...

i didn't like it. i tried to have an open mind to listen to it but it just ruins it for me.

as a current member of a drum corps it offends me that you say the cadets are a band now. i don't think that any corps div. i or div. iii should have that said about them. think you may want but those members are still out there giving it their all all summer long and for you to say that is just disrespectful not only to the corps but to the entire activity. i may not like it but i still know what they go through during the summers to be treated like.

(and no i do not march cadets)

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i didn't like it. i tried to have an open mind to listen to it but it just ruins it for me.

as a current member of a drum corps it offends me that you say the cadets are a band now. i don't think that any corps div. i or div. iii should have that said about them. think you may want but those members are still out there giving it their all all summer long and for you to say that is just disrespectful not only to the corps but to the entire activity. i may not like it but i still know what they go through during the summers to be treated like.

Your post gives me hope for the future. For a current marching member of a DCI corps to take offense at calling a drum corps a band shows that today's members still see a qualitative difference between our activity and bands.

You've got a perspective that GH (and others) lack. Drum corps does not equal marching band. And for what it's worth, I don't find the Cadets to be a band either, no matter how they twist their shows to stroke their management into seeing themselves as avant garde.

so not liking the Cadets now translates to not liking all DCI level drum corps? :worthy:

to some yes, it does, and that's gross misinterpretation number 2.

I am not bashing Drum Corps Associates. I am pointing out the behavoir of some of its marching members. I spoke a truth. Keggers happen there..they happen at DCI..I've been to both types of shows. DCA parties are more wild and out in the open in my experience.

I baseing this on MY experience.

And yes Jeff..there is beer smuggled in on DCI busses..I never said DCI kids were a bunch of angels.

so because a few members may be wild animals, you slam a whole circuit for it? wow. can you say irony here?

you do exactly what you accuse many of us of doing. and the funny thing is, after seeing the dvd's, i liked a couple of DCi corps last year. granted, none of them spoke into a mic, but my dissatisfaction with show programming began in 2001, 3 years before DCI plugged in.

OH I see the good old argument of if you don't like this, then YOU suck and you should all go to #### still applies here let the flame wars begin :sshh: ..

You guys are so funny and predictible. Those who sit back and wait like vultures to tear apart others who disagree are just as ridiculous.

I listened to it and kept an open mind...and I can say without hesitation...

Dr. Beat sounds good for his age. :P Rock On Doc.

Carry on with your tearing down of each others opinions.

first......well said.

second...Dr Beat is GOD! :worthy:

Somehow I get the feeling that if anyone EVER tried to call YOUR integrity into question for something you believed in, or an opinion you sincerely held, we would never hear the end of it on DCP. You would rant and rave and call people more names and demand respect while offering none in return. Your mastery of the double standard around here has no equal. Get over yourself.

ahhhh i love irony.

For arguments sake.. so are cigarettes but they kill tens of thousands each year.

Just because something is legal doesn't make it right in everyones eyes. I smoke and enjoy it. Others though, take great offense to my smoking so....

Just because amps are legal doesn't mean that everyone has to like them. Personally, I am a purist. Given my choice we would be on 2 valve G bugles with no amps at all. That said, I have listened to it and my take on it is that relatively speaking, it is OK. I would much rather hear a french horn soloist than an amplified voice, but taken in the realms of what is possible, I can just about stomach this. I will give it a chance. I get to see the Cadets for the first time live at Quarterfinals, if this is good, then fine, if on the other hand it sucks, well, I know when I will go get a hot dog or buy something from the souvie stands.

if you can make amps smoke, i'll forgive you :P

OK..

Just to clarify, marched 1989-1992 DCI Div I and II

I had to walk the gauntlet of drunken senior corps members in Montclair NJ in 1990..I was disgusted.

Macys All star corps 1992, some of the behavior there from the Senior contingent was downright disgusting.

I will give that these were years ago, but when you combine this nasty first impression with the comments of some senior corps folks (but not all mind you) on here and other places, my impression of the senior side of the coin is not good.

Maybe time will change my opinions, and i will grant that times have probobly changed.

But a first impression is worth a thousand words.

the first time i ever visited BD at their housing site was in 2000 when i saw a bass drummer led off by the police.

ahh, first impressions......

I don't have anything against the singing or what not... but IMO, I think it sucks... it just sounds bad. But hey, that's just me.

don't hold back, please, tell us how you really feel

it's such a shame the most outspoken director, and the man who seems to be pushing the buttons doesn't agree.

some days, i really wish they'd truly ask the kids what THEY want and how THEY feel. After all, it's supposed to be about and for the kids