1987 Garfield Cadets... "Visual Masterpiece"?

1987 Garfield Cadets... "Visual Masterpiece"?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Regardless of your opinion of their placement, do you consider the 1987 Garfield Cadets' show to be worthy of the label "Visual Masterpiece"?

• Saw them live or High Camera VHS and I consider that show a "Visual Masterpiece".
    • Only saw them on Multicam PBS Broadcast, VHS or DVD and I consider that show a "Visual Masterpiece".
    • Saw them live or High Cam VHS and I don't think it was a "Visual Masterpiece".
    • Only saw them on multicam PBS Broadcast, VHS or DVD and I don't think it was a "Visual Masterpiece".

I've recently aquired a High Camera tape of the 1987 Garfield Cadets.

First of all, it's amazing the difference this perspective makes on the overall visual impression of this show. So I thought it important to differentiate between those who saw it live or on High Camera VHS and those who only say it in Multi-camera format (ie. the PBS broadcast or Legacy DVD).

I saw the show live a few times in 1987 while on tour with the Sky Ryders. I'm not even sure I knew the name George Zingali at the time, but I knew I was seeing greatness. On Finals night I saw it from WAY up high in Camp Randall and knew at the time that it was an amazing accomplishment of drill writing, drill flow and (especially at the end of the season) execution.

So what are your feelings? Do you consider this show a "Visual Masterpiece"?

You get to set your own definition of what that is. Do YOU define it as such?

NOTE: Please don't use this thread to argue about who should have won in 87.

Thanks! B)

I forgot to mention that on the High Cam tape I have, you can actually hear the sop solist at the end of the show since it's a video of their Semi-Finals performance. (Back then the Hi Cam bundle was Semi Finals for some reason.) It was very cool after almost 20 years to finally get to see and hear that show again, the way I first experienced it. (Albeit from a slightly blurry hi cam shot.)

I guess people who've only seen 87 from the recorded Finals performance kinda missed that very cool moment. The crowd just couldn't hold back on finals night and completely drowned out the final musical moment of the show. (I'm not judging the crowd. Cuz know I was one of those who just couldn't stay quiet that night at the end of the show. That kind of reaction from that many people after THAT performance is hard to suppress... I guess.)

I saw the show live and just sat there thinking how great the show was from a musical and visual standpoint.

During that time, you just knew Garfield was headed for a show like this because since '82 they kept pushing the boundaries as to what a drum corps could do and in '87 they finally got it right.

Since this is just a quesiton of being labeled a visual masterpiece and not the greatest visual masterpiece of all time, I have to chime in and call it an awesome visual display so YES, it s truly a visual masterpeice. I have this show on high camera and saw it live. I also have 1984 on high camera and saw that live and in my opinion, 1984 Garfield blows 1987 Garfield away as far as design, demand and musical accompanimnet goes, but in all reality 1987 is truly a visual masterpiece.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

Since this is just a quesiton of being labeled a visual masterpiece and not the greatest visual masterpiece of all time, I have to chime in and call it an awesome visual display so YES, it s truly a visual masterpeice. I have this show on high camera and saw it live. I also have 1984 on high camera and saw that live and in my opinion, 1984 Garfield blows 1987 Garfield away as far as design, demand and musical accompanimnet goes, but in all reality 1987 is truly a visual masterpiece.

~G~

I agree with Gman. Both are masterpieces but '84 is still my favorite. Amazing to this day I still introduce a DC newbie to that show. Front to end it all fits together beautifully. As wonderful to just listen to as to see it as well.

87 is indeed a visual masterpiece. Put me in the small camp of people who don't care much for the 84 program. Now, 1985, THERE'S a friggin masterpiece.

• Like 1

I saw them 3 or 4 times that summer usually from low towards the end of the stands as I was marching Regiment that summer.

To this day, Cadets 87 is still the best show I have ever seen. (only thing close would be PR89 which I marched in and therefore never saw live)

I have yet to see anything that I think is a better mix of music and visual.

Over the years I have either liked, or disliked Cadets show without much middle ground, but the 87 show will always be a standout in my opinion.

The ending makes it a classic all on its own. The disappearing/reappearing company front then the fold into the block and soft ending.

Don't think its ever been bettered