Best hornline of the '00's'

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go by your judgement, not the judges (i.e. BD 04).

Just a friendly reminder!

Notice that I said listen to the drum judge's tape and you'll hear the Cadets' trumpet line playing with less than characteristic tone. Has nothing to do with what the brass judge thought, and obviously the drum judge said nothing about it. I just think Cadets' trumpet line didn't play with good balance or blend, and that kind of rules them out for best brassline of the 00s.

Cavies 03

Notice that I said listen to the drum judge's tape and you'll hear the Cadets' trumpet line playing with less than characteristic tone. Has nothing to do with what the brass judge thought, and obviously the drum judge said nothing about it. I just think Cadets' trumpet line didn't play with good balance or blend, and that kind of rules them out for best brassline of the 00s.

Listen to Cadets 1998. I think there's a problem in the Cadets' soprano voice that needs to be addressed. 2000 was the best for that section I think, but still below par.

They were winning high horns almost all season, and then they just fell short of their capabilities on finals night.

I agree with most of your choices, but winning high horns all season? I think the only time they ever beat BD or Cavies in horns that season was in Indy, and that was with Steve Calhoun judging.

They had some amazing music that season, and I can see why everyone loves that hornline, but to call them the best? Far from it...I would even almost put their 2000 line above their 2003 line.

edit: In fact, aside from the botched soprano release, I would say that the final ballad chord in their 2000 show is the best sound I've ever heard from them.

Edited by Jayzer

Listen to Cadets 1998. I think there's a problem in the Cadets' soprano voice that needs to be addressed. 2000 was the best for that section I think, but still below par.

I agree... although 2000 was pretty bad at the end of the show. Those sops sounded pretty crass and tired.

Cadets' 05 trumpets sounded pretty awful at times. If you have the DVD, listen to the drum judge's commentary. A couple of times he walks by the trumpets, and their tone is less than characteristic.

Although the trumpet section certainly wasnt the strongest section of that hornline, I'd be careful about judging their tone quality from a handheld tape recorder on the field at finals. I've listenned to it myself, and the part in kill bill your'e probably refering to doesnt sound great, but it seems to be written in minor 2nds , and frankly not much sounds awesome from the field. That said, i still might go with Cadets 01 as my favorite hornline of the 00's, although bd04 and Cavies 02 are probably better

Cavies 2002 was for me as close to hornline perfection as it gets - the last BIG chord of the ballad had incredible overtones made possible by balance, tuning and tonal sweetness that isn't heard very often on the field IMHO.

Phantom 2003 was my favorite music book, but there were some less than stellar moments marring an otherwise unbelievably awesome hornline performance. Overall my favorite show of all time.

Cadets 2001 was an incredible hornline performance as well - they were on fire finals night.

The Cadets 2001, Blue Devils 2003

Phantom Regiment 2003, apart from somethings, it was brass heaven.