Opinions Without Bashing ?

I was always taught, and continue to teach, that drum corps is a positive thing. To focus on all the positive aspects of the activity could fill up this forum until it overflowed! IMO to find fault, without offering a solution, is just not productive.

So, regardless of the era you marched, can't we all agree that for the participants, it's a GOOD THING! That there are so many great life lessons to be learned as a result of marching...Isn't it really more important that we make life-long friends, experience the thrill of live competion, and cherish the memories of these experiences forever?

These things matter so much more to me, than what show a corps performs, or whether they have amps.

Drum corps has changed, is changing, and will continue to change. But through it all... it really is good.

When a person goes on and on about what they really like, eventually you pick up on the things they like less. Ultimately, everyone gets the picture.

A few saying I've heard in corps, from people much wiser than I...

"If you can't say something nice, just don't say anything at all"

"You might better say nothing, and let people think you're ignorant...than open your mouth, and prove it."

"Never argue with an idiot...everyone else may have a hard time deciding who's who."

Just my thoughts... B)

Agreed. Oftentimes, you get your point across better without being insulting. Plus, you'll be taken more seriously. I think most of us have a pretty good meter for telling the difference between criticism and dowright dislike/hatred for a particular corps.

It certainly is a good thing.

and through reasoned discussion and debate on its positives and negatives, by both those charged with the idioms well-being, and those of it talking about it here...it becomes a great thing.

Agreed...I think we can focus on the positive and I think we certainly should...in life in general, not just drum corps. But, I also don't think a person should not get bashed if he says, for example, that he likes modern drum corps better than the older stuff...or the other way round. Personally, I will always love SCV, but if someone else says they don't get into their show for a particular year, I would never bash them for that.

Bottom line is, I think we all need to lighten up a little when it comes to drum corps reviews and opinions. The good thing is, there's something for everyone!

Edited by xelanosa

An additional thought about negative responses to people who comment on "back when I marched..."

I began my drum corps journey in the 60's. ( 1960's ) And I've listened to people 'more seasoned' than I, talk about their glory years. Now, I, like most...tend to think that MY era was the best. But I listen to these older people, and I know that their rememberances are very dear to them. Who am I to say," You guys sounded pretty rough back in the day." , or " Yeah, but your drills were so elementary." That's why I smile and say, "Well, that was before my time. But I really wish I could have seen that. It must have been GREAT !" That's why today, when I see a corps about to take the field, I give them a 'thumbs-up', and a,"Go get 'em."...no matter what corps it is. It might even be a corps I don't particularly like. But to those members marching past me, they think they're the neatest thing since sliced bread!

So to me, whether it's Jr. or Sr., old, new, excellant, or just God-awful.....it's all good, by virtue of the fact that it's DRUM CORPS.

Nothing else in the world even comes close!!! B)

I think we're getting confused on how constructive commentary...or any sort of commentary...on design is somehow a slight to those that perform it.

I don't think anyone has any malicious thoughts in their heads towards those that march the shows; the issue where the heads butt, most likely, is with the design element.

That can...more often than not...be placed on the shoulders of an individual or individuals; ones that are directly responsible for the product on the field.

It's always been...to use a line from this whole debate..."about the kids". Their performance, their experience, their time to shine.

The issue that many raise now, though, is that the kids are -- in some respects -- not the primary focus. That it's more about "art", or "design" or "making a statement", or "evolution" by a select few who aren't part of those faceless many who we see out there on the field.

Drum corps rocks. All of us want to keep it around.

We just haven't figured out the best way yet.

Excellent points, bawker. I'd only add that the people who choose to march with "corps x" oftentimes do so because of the people who design the show or run the corps. They're not mindless drones forced to do the bidding of tyrannical directors and designers. Rather, they choose to audition and perfrom with "corps x" specifically because they want to take part in, to use your words, the " 'art, or 'design' or 'making a statement', or 'evolution' " that the corps director/designers want to explore. That's why I'll never buy into the idea that slams on directors and designers somehow have nothing to do with the people who march the shows.

Excellent points, bawker. I'd only add that the people who choose to march with "corps x" oftentimes do so because of the people who design the show or run the corps. They're not mindless drones forced to do the bidding of tyrannical directors and designers. Rather, they choose to audition and perfrom with "corps x" specifically because they want to take part in, to use your words, the " 'art, or 'design' or 'making a statement', or 'evolution' " that the corps director/designers want to explore. That's why I'll never buy into the idea that slams on directors and designers somehow have nothing to do with the people who march the shows.

Oh, for sure.

Every kid out there has a different philosophy on what drum corps is to them. That's why they go to Cadets, BD, Madison and so on in the first place. They want that experience, whatever it may be.

I'll offer this, though...I seperate those that choose to be taught from those doing the teaching in my analysis of the activity. To me, it would be like faulting a student for his professors course. Those charged with the show design and education of the performers are a different animal in my eyes.

That's just my view, although I can certainly understand your last sentence in relation to the subject.

Edited by bawker

Lets just shut the forum down and not have any discussion at all. That way, nobody is offended, the activity moves in any direction those in charge choose, and those that dont like it can just leave, huh ??

Whats negative to one, is not always the same to someone else. If you are going to have only one side and one train of thought, with only approved ways of delivering the thoguths and ideas, just open a website and remove all chance for discussion.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

Indeed. This is a competitive art form (or athletic activity, whichever you like). Meaning: Someone wins. Aaaaand, when someone wins, someone has to...not win. And of course, people will disagree on who won and why, and by extension who should have made top 12, whose drumline should have beaten whose, who had the best flags, whose drill was overrated. You can't unring the bell. Everyone has opinions. Baseless opinions and ad hominem attacks are the bad stuff. Healthy disagreement and discussion is way, WAY better than everyone agreeing and being smiley idiots from the planet Gong.