Opinions Without Bashing ?

no matter what you say or how you say it, someone will always be offended.

i can sit here and praise 93 cadets, and odds are a Star fan will be offended. I can sing the praises of 99 SCV, and a BD fan will be offended.

after 9 years in online forums, i've realized just say it. you cant please everyone all the time, and someone will always find fault no matter how well meaning you are.

agreed jeff. even when you try to be fair, someone inevatably gets angry about some point of it.

I think it's ok though....it makes me appreciate what it is about humans that makes us all unique.

that doesn't mean that sometimes it doesn't suck or that it isn't a pain...but, it's what makes us all different.

ok, sappy rant over. lol

exactly. look do i agree with the 'borg" as they are called? nope. do i respect their opinion? sure. they're wrong but i respect it :P

but when the sniping and insults fly out, sorry, you havent earned respect. as much as i disagree with where some want to take DCI, i do my best to not insult. joke, jest and mock yes, insult no

:P

Excellent points, bawker. I'd only add that the people who choose to march with "corps x" oftentimes do so because of the people who design the show or run the corps. They're not mindless drones forced to do the bidding of tyrannical directors and designers. Rather, they choose to audition and perfrom with "corps x" specifically because they want to take part in, to use your words, the " 'art, or 'design' or 'making a statement', or 'evolution' " that the corps director/designers want to explore. That's why I'll never buy into the idea that slams on directors and designers somehow have nothing to do with the people who march the shows.

But, as you say, the kids are not mindless drones. Thus, one cannot assume they agree with every last detail of their corps' design choices. They choose a corps based on the overall positive aspects of it's experience. Those positives may outweigh the negatives for a corps member, but that doesn't make the negatives disappear.

One should be able to express thier opinions. How one expresses the opinions is what makes the difference.

I personally believe you cannot be 100% Politically Correct and be totally honest.

Personally I think what the corps of today are doing is phenomenal.

Do I agree with all that is evolving?

The way I choose to submit my disagreements,is going determine the way people look at said disagreements.If I go off the wall and start ranting and bashing,who's going to listen.I know I for one would turn and walk away from someone like that.

If I present things in a positive nature, which I like to call constructive criticism,people will still disagree.

But some times a stinky cigar is just that,a stinky cigar. And it's up to the individual to determine how they are going to get rid of the smell

Disclaimer: It all sounds good in my head.

It's when I start trying to put it down in type,is where the trouble comes in.

JCSeymour, you hit the nail on the head. I'm not saying everyone should agree on everything, all the time. My point is that just as it's counterproductive to act like a 'jerk' when you agree with someone, it's equally fruitless to be a 'jerk', when you disagree. Respect goes a long way toward understanding. B)

But, as you say, the kids are not mindless drones. Thus, one cannot assume they agree with every last detail of their corps' design choices. They choose a corps based on the overall positive aspects of it's experience. Those positives may outweigh the negatives for a corps member, but that doesn't make the negatives disappear.

What is and isn't a negative will also vary individual to individual.

Excellent points, bawker. I'd only add that the people who choose to march with "corps x" oftentimes do so because of the people who design the show or run the corps. They're not mindless drones forced to do the bidding of tyrannical directors and designers. Rather, they choose to audition and perfrom with "corps x" specifically because they want to take part in, to use your words, the " 'art, or 'design' or 'making a statement', or 'evolution' " that the corps director/designers want to explore. That's why I'll never buy into the idea that slams on directors and designers somehow have nothing to do with the people who march the shows.

Of course, I've read more than a few posts on here over the years, and on RAMD before that, by former members who didn't like something their corps was doing, whether on the field or off, but at least continued to march out the season and give it their all, even so. Suncoast's "My Fair Lady" show comes to mind. I know I've read posts by people who marched that year who absolutely hated that show, but they still loved Suncoast ...

In any case, yeah -- I definitely believe that you can say something negative without it being "bashing." Most common-sensed people will know the difference. If you say that you disagree with a certain decision by a corps' management or that corps X was having intonation problems at finals in '03, then that's cool. But if you just say "Corps X is a bunch of snot-nosed losers," then you've crossed the line, I'd have to say. - :grrr: - Sure, some people might react poorly to a perfectly innocent post that happened to express a negative opinion about something-or-other, but there's a lot of dopes in the world. Most intelligent people are able to accept criticism and varying opinions with some degree of poise. It's not necessarily what you say, but how you say it.

Respect goes a long way toward understanding. B)

^OO^

Guys like you should sire about 450 children to raise and teach how to be awesome adults.

:) You'd be tired.. but man, you'd be improving the planet in a big way!

Thank you!

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

Steph,

Maybe I wouldn't be tired....one of the many things that Drum Corps taught me was STAMINA !!! b**bs