• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't around for the tick system, but the one thing I heard about it I would not like...the inspection. I have no idea how much of the total score that this comprised, but it had absolutely nothing to do with the performance. Feel free to correct me on this if my infor is wrong.

I stood for one inspection in 1982 (maybe 2) but they were at smaller VFW or American Legion sponsored shows where they still used some of the old rules.

I don't remember ever standing for inspection, but it may have happened and I can't recall.

I also liked not knowing who would win on any given night. But after a while it had more to do with who the judge was that night instead of how the corps performed.

Judging = Politics, tic or no tic.

A couple of people having a bad night could really sink you.

<==remembers a show in the mid-'70s where the corpsmember carrying the AF at the rear of the field turned around to watch the show from the back sideline!!!!!! :P

The tick system if a judge had it in for you he could make or break you also.

And if some ones "opinion" of your show is negative.................

Rocketman - tick, tock, tick, tock

ampssuck

I stood in two inspections, one for the NYS AL prelims and one for the NY Penn Championships.

The tick system if a judge had it in for you he could make or break you also.

Very true . . .

I'll try to keep this story reasonably anonymous, but those who choose to dig a bit can figure it out. One year the corps I was in was a likely bottom-tier finalist at one of the early DCI championships. Our snare line (not very good, but not horrible either) had been averaging about 20 tics for several weeks prior to prelims that year. Low and behold, a judge whose corps had been trounced by ours for years and years when he marched and later taught them, decided we were "ripe" for being hammered (we were bad enough to get away with it, I suppose). Despite marching our best snare show of the year, he gave us 44 tics!! We missed finals by two tenths of a point.

The next year, during DCI prelims, after having been reamed by some of his fellow judges the year before for what he unfairly did to us (we know this for a fact), he somewhat inexplicably ranked us fourth overall, even though we had consistently been around tenth or twelfth in drums. It helped propel us over several corps we hadn't beaten all year long (not even being close to them) and we miraculously made finals.

Even though I'm an old pharte by any decscription, I for one do not miss the tic system. Qualified, honest judges can pick the winners. Unqualified, dishonest judges can also decide a contest. Tics, build-up, on the field, in the box, ten judges, five judges, whatever. It all comes down to talent and integrity.

Paul,

I remember your 74 prelims show vividly. It was an incredibly emotional performance. Looking at the recaps on "fromthepressbox" it seems like more than one judge got caught up in the moment. One judge (a very respectable one at that) had you third in field bugles. Only 0.5 from Madison and beating SCV and AK. Hmmmmm.

The other thing that stands out is Madison's MA (musical analysis) score. 9.2 to SCV's 9.7. Highly questionable. Madison's 74 brass performance would hold up even by today's standards.

BTW, you can see the Scouts full 74 prelims show on youtube.com. Just search for 'madison scouts'

vf

Very true . . .

I'll try to keep this story reasonably anonymous, but those who choose to dig a bit can figure it out. One year the corps I was in was a likely bottom-tier finalist at one of the early DCI championships. Our snare line (not very good, but not horrible either) had been averaging about 20 tics for several weeks prior to prelims that year. Low and behold, a judge whose corps had been trounced by ours for years and years when he marched and later taught them, decided we were "ripe" for being hammered (we were bad enough to get away with it, I suppose). Despite marching our best snare show of the year, he gave us 44 tics!! We missed finals by two tenths of a point.

The next year, during DCI prelims, after having been reamed by some of his fellow judges the year before for what he unfairly did to us (we know this for a fact), he somewhat inexplicably ranked us fourth overall, even though we had consistently been around tenth or twelfth in drums. It helped propel us over several corps we hadn't beaten all year long (not even being close to them) and we miraculously made finals.

Even though I'm an old pharte by any decscription, I for one do not miss the tic system. Qualified, honest judges can pick the winners. Unqualified, dishonest judges can also decide a contest. Tics, build-up, on the field, in the box, ten judges, five judges, whatever. It all comes down to talent and integrity.