Histoic misspellings of drum corps

Dear drumcorps

I decieded to start this tread to see if it happens to anyone else. The Govenaires has been having their named spelled incorrectly for over 50 years (name changed in the 60's), usually with 2 r's (we only use 1). It happened again just yesterday on the front page of DCP, and as usual I chuckled and sent off a correction, but then I started thinking, I bet utter coprs must have the same problems. So here is your chance, I'll start first.

Govenaires is spelled

1)Governaires

2)Grovernaires

3)Governairese

Where are you from St.Peter?

1)St.Paul

2)St.Petersburg

3)St.Peters

4)Mankato

And as of only 4 years ago, we were called a "drum and choir corps" by a members parents that made a sign for us.

John Mayer

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New York Skyliners

We're from New York City (go figure)

We've also been from:

Garfield, NJ

Stroudsburg, PA

Dover, NJ

Lodi, NJ

Fair Lawn, NJ

probably countless others

Our corps hasn't been misspelled or mispronounced but our director/drum major's name has been many times. His name is Phil Gentile (pronounced: jen-tilly) and we usually get "...and drum major, Phil Gentile" (pronounced jen-tile). It actually happened at the DCA Alumni Spectacular a few years ago and Phil is a Hall of Famer!

Dear drumcorps

I decieded to start this tread to see if it happens to anyone else. The Govenaires has been having their named spelled incorrectly for over 50 years (name changed in the 60's), usually with 2 r's (we only use 1). It happened again just yesterday on the front page of DCP, and as usual I chuckled and sent off a correction, but then I started thinking, I bet utter coprs must have the same problems. So here is your chance, I'll start first.

Govenaires is spelled

1)Governaires

2)Grovernaires

3)Governairese

Where are you from St.Peter?

1)St.Paul

2)St.Petersburg

3)St.Peters

4)Mankato

And as of only 4 years ago, we were called a "drum and choir corps" by a members parents that made a sign for us.

John Mayer

John, this is one of my favorite topics. And yes, I must think twice before spelling Govenaires, so I just call you guys the Govies or my friends in MN. :P

Our name is often misspelled, and our location sometimes incorrect.

Corps Name:

The Harrison Bushwackers

Variations on our name:

Bushwhackers

Buswashers

the Budwiesers (during a parade)

the Cadets (happened at a parade last year, when Cadets were at the same parade. I'm curious if they called them the Bushwackers. :)

Corps location:

Harrison NJ

Variations of our location:

Norwalk, CT (Our corps director resides there)

Themopolis, Wyoming

I was going to be more careful, but it was about missedspeelings :P

At one state legion comp in the 60's or 70's our 2 drum majors, Pat Kneefe and Lee Dummer, were introduced as "Fed Knees and Less Plummer" :rock:

We have trouble getting people(sometimes even our own members) to remember that "Heat Wave" is TWO words.

Other than that, the only mis-naming I can recall was at a parade last year where we were introduced at several different points as:

"The Orlando Heatband!"

It was also a tad embarassing to have it mentioned at the Citrus Bowl Parade that we had been presented with the flag of the city of Orlando....mostly because we weren't carrying it at the time.

LOL.... one year at the NJ American Legion States in Wildwood back in the day, the announcer introduced us (Sacred Heart Crusaders) as "The Sacred Hearts."

Fran