Histoic misspellings of drum corps

Listed in the local paper as the "West Shiremen" instead of Westshoremen. Writer must have been thinking of the little town of "Shiremanstown" while tying or had a brain fart.

Was told a few years ago that my first corps spelled it "Kavaliers". Strange part is I have a jacket in the basement spelled "Cavaliers". Ooooopppppsssss..... (Judys' post jogged that memory.)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember, in a Maryland parade, Westshore was called

"The Westshoremen Drug and Bugle Corps"

Yeah... :laugh:

In a similar vein:

This one happened in 1991. In Pittsburgh, WQED (PBS affiliate) delayed the DCI Finals broadcast one day (to Sunday). They did this so they could insert pledge breaks. During one pledge break, they proudly announced a donation from someone with the Steel City Ambassadors Senior CITIZENS Drum and Bugle Corps.

(I was waiting for someone else to say this happened to their corps, since it seems an easy mistake to make, but I was surprised no one else has.)

The Bucs' 2006 production is entitled Exotic Impressions

Much like a baby pool or a March Madness pool, I'm inclined to start a pool with fellow Bucs administrators to see when our show will first be announced as "Erotic Impressions." If THAT's the show, we need to charge a much higher ticket price.....

I never thought of it as people misspelling the name "Govenaires", I think of it as the people in the 1961 corps misspelling "Governaires".

On the starting line, from Oak Park Ridge Illinois, the Chicago Cavaliers! :laugh:

I hate when the announcers ad lib (circa 1974). :(

Here's one I caught from the 1970 or 1971 DCA Albums.

"... here's the Les Diplomats". Ahhh, I could check Christine from Brigs but think he just said "the" twice, just in different languages. And the announcer (Wes Hobby?) said it twice, once at the start and once at the end of the show....

Kinda being redundant.... again... :P

.... if I see "Navel Academy" again, I'm likely to start shooting....

Hey Jeff, just saw this up here.

I have a diploma that spells it "Navel Academy." We all sat there at graduation thinking it was some olde British Navy spelling. :-) Go figure.

Bob

DCA:

Sun has had some interesting name manglings during the "Salute to Israel Parade" in NYC that we do every year. One year it was "Sun (pause) Rise (pause) drum (pause) boogle (pause) band (pause) corps" or something to that effect. The woman could barely speak English, why was she the announcer?! Another year we were announced as Quest (a Div. III DCI corps that was also in the parade)! After they said that, I told my corps director, "Quick, get their check!"

Sometimes our location where we are from is wrong as well. We were said to be from Orangetown, NY 2 years after we left there and from Edison, NJ more than a year after we left there for Orangetown, NY. A side effect of our migratory nature over the last 20 years I suppose. We have been called from Nyack, NY and from Pearl River, NY in recent years. We are officially from Rockland County, NY. Our winter practice site is in Nyack and our summer practice site is in Pearl River so I guess that could be the reason for the confusion.

We had a t-shirt made back in the late-'90's that said "Sunrisers Drum & Bugle Corp."

DCI:

When I marched in the Bridgemen in 1987 we were from almost anywhere in New Jersey. Officially we were from Hudson/Middlesex Counties, NJ. During tour, we were announced as being from Bayonne, NJ (they kicked us out in April), Middlesex, NJ (our summer rehearsal site), Hudson, NJ (no such town exists), and Hudson County, NJ. One night when the show sponsor asked where in NJ we were from, our Brass Caption Head said jokingly, "Somewhere". Sure enough that night we hear, "On the starting line, from somewhere in New Jersey, the Bridgemen!" The audience was cracking up like we did that on purpose. It was all good because we members were laughing too right on the field.