Baby Drummer

You don't have to be a drummer to know that what he's doing is just random beating of a drumset. Dr. Edwin Gordon might say that this kid is still in "rhythm babble". He isn't playing anything rhythmic, he's not playing anything remotely close to being in the context of what the bass player is doing! He's just "exploring", kinda playing around with the different sounds that the drums and cymbals can make. Dr. Gordon believes that this "exploration" is a necessary first step when learning music in any capacity, so it's nothing more than I would expect from someone his age. He's engaging in rhythm babble on an instrument, just like babies and infants engage in language babble thinking they're imitating the sounds of their adult caregivers' talking. It's nothing more than I would expect from someone his age.

But why is he doing it in front of audiences???

YOU JUST QUOTED GORDON! YUCK!! I'm a constructivist. :P Gordon's the devil. And I'm from the detroit area and without having heard it seemed the kid wasnt really doing anything. and why the heck didnt my parents buy me a DW kit when I was 2? I need to go talk to them.

Better money making sceme: Put that fat dad with the bass in a diaper and put a nipple in his mouth and pass him off as a giant bass playing baby....I would pay to see that.

p.s. This is all marketing...check out the kid's own web page complete with product endorsment.

little drummer baby

I'd pay to see a whole big fat baby band! Or a big fat baby drumline!! *getting ideas*

The website link you just posted has clips from 2 Cleveland news stories on him, the Channel 8 one actually shows him drumming with the Cleveland Cavaliers drumline. (Is there any NBA teams that DOESN'T have a drumline now?)

YOU JUST QUOTED GORDON! YUCK!! I'm a constructivist. :P Gordon's the devil. And I'm from the detroit area and without having heard it seemed the kid wasnt really doing anything. and why the heck didnt my parents buy me a DW kit when I was 2? I need to go talk to them.

What's a constructivist?

in short, in the education world a constructivist is the ANTI-Gordon way of teaching

I'm not sure Gordon really talks that much about how music teachers teach, as much as he talks about how children learn.

OK, so constructivists are Anti-Gordon, but what are they FOR?

I have video of my son doing that and he plays a roll at one point. about the same age. I'll have to transfer it to digital.

Nice drumset! I think that is great for the kid to be exposed to!!!

Edited by flammaster

wouldn't really call that "playing" the drums.

Give hime a plastic wiffle ball bat and a bucket and I am sure he would smack the crap out of the bucket too. LOL

OK! Thank goodness...I was like, "Please tell me that in all of my experience I at least learned good drumming from....beating things with a stick." :rock:

The impressive thing is that it's keeping the kids attention. My 2 year old niece would come grab sticks when i would practice. i would put her on my lap and after about 3 seconds of "exploration" she would go do something else. we even made her little sticks out of normal sticks so she could hold them.

-christopher

(Is there any NBA teams that DOESN'T have a drumline now?)

The San Antonio Spurs dont have one. :rock: