Help to name the "Co-ed Bandettes"

Only 14 proud Scottish regiments remain on the Canadian Army List. One of them traces it's roots to the Ontario area on the northern shore of Lake Superior. They are now known as "The Lake Superior Scottish Regiment". I'm not sure it would be appropriate to use this as your new name since the name is still in use by the Canadian Army, but it might be kind of cool to use some variation of one of the current regiments former names. In 1885, the "Provisional Battalion of Rifles" was formed on the north shore of Lake Superior. You could possibly use "Provisional Battalion", or even "Provincial Battalion" as a reference to the Lake Superior Scottish Regiment's proud history and roots in your area. I like "Provincial Battalion Drum and Bugle Corps". It has a "B" in it so it works with your current logo. In 1920, they were renamed the 96th Lake Superior Regiment and shortly there after simply as the LSR. Lake Superior Regiment has a nice ring to it, and would certainly be a tribute to the military roots of the north shore of Lake Superior / Southern Ontario region.

But it doesn't have a "B" in it, so you'd have to rework your current logo.

Whatever name you choose, I wish you the best of luck in the future.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'd vote for not changing the name at all (I mean, The Girls Gang from Europe had guys in it)...I would go with Bandits.

Its the closest thing to keeping the recognition and identity of who they are.

Highbanders.

Why does it need to be Scottish, that has nothing to do with the history of the corps! I would go for something more french!

Well, let's see the uniforms are Scottish, their music is Scottish and the area they live in in primarily Scottish !!!

That would make me think the name would have to be Scottish. B)

French corps come from Quebec, NOT Ontario !!!!

Edited by ODBC

Um lets also see....The area they live in is FRENCH...Sault Ste Marie means St Mary's Rapids in french, most of the people in the area are french or italian.

The music they USUALLY play isn't usual...It changes from year to year.... I never played Scottish music while I marched there...

There is NO connection to Scottish except the kilt...and even that is an arbitrary connection...

If a scottish name is chosen, the history of the Bandettes isn't there then...sorry, but if you're going that route, why not just start something brand new.

Miranda, you are originally from the Soo area aren't you?

Anyway, we are playing "Scotland the Brave" not because the corps is scottish. It is because of a dear friend to all of us that was involved wih the corps for most of her life. She died in an accident last spring at the age of 16. We have been playing her favorite corps piece as our parade tune since, for Ricki. This year we had it re-written to update the older version that we played last year.

The rest of the music we are learning, which would have been our field show, has nothing to do with any theam or specific type of music. We are planning on getting a few chances to perform it this year.

Shara

Edited by vibegirl

I am from the Sault Area...and I understand why Scotland the Brave is being played...believe me I was informed in the middle of tour about that...She was my bus partner, and a dear lil sis to me...I was there for her when her father died...and it broke me down pretty bad to hear that last summer

Anywho...I just don't want the playing of that song to mislead people in the history