Guardsmen (Schaumburg, IL) memories.

I remember,(what would we do w/out that pre-curser), searching out the female snare drummer in the parking lot in '80 for "Cindy." I loved the uniforms and wanted to meet her and say "what a great line!" I told her that I was "trying out" for BD in '81...liked she really cared! I was so young and it was great to meet another female snare drummer. I also met Diane from Northstar who eventually became the center snare for Garfield!

• 9 months later...
Matched grip: <**>

Grds80S.jpg

This stadium looks like South Stadium in Milwaukee, any Midwesterners concur?

This has been a fun and educational walk down memory lane! No, I’m not a Guardsman but the first real life drum corps folks I met as a freshman band member at Austin Peay State University (back in the fall of 81) were folks like Lloyd Dukes, Lois Wiggins, David and Jean Royse, and Richard Daniel. I've heard their tales of breaking the curse of 7 and those old busses - and I ate it all up.

W. Dale Warren was another APSU grad that wore the tall shako although he graduated a year or 2 before I got there and our paths crossed a few years later. Even more years later my son’s high school band director was another Guardsmen - Steve Knob.

In 1984 when several of us from APSU (Jean Royse included) were marching with Spirit of Atlanta, Richard Daniel would oft times grab my baritone and play Seahawk or the baritone solo from TOSP.

BTW, I understand from some of my Spirit friends that drum instructor Tom Float would sometimes refer to the G-men as “The Cats in the Hats”

Edited by srose
  • Like 1

Cavaliers were supposed to do that commercial. They were going to pay us something like 10 grand (or the equivalent in chicken parts). Then they found out our colors. I guess green didn't really convey the message they wanted to get across, although some might think it oddly appropriate.

This brings up a good trivia question. Does anyone know what color the Cavaliers originally picked for their uniforms?

I believe it was purple.

This has been a fun and educational walk down memory lane! No, I’m not a Guardsman but the first real life drum corps folks I met as a freshman band member at Austin Peay State University (back in the fall of 81) were folks like Lloyd Dukes, Lois Wiggins, David and Jean Royse, and Richard Daniel. I've heard their tales of breaking the curse of 7 and those old busses - and I ate it all up.

W. Dale Warren was another APSU grad that wore the tall shako although he graduated a year or 2 before I got there and our paths crossed a few years later. Even more years later my son’s high school band director was another Guardsmen - Steve Knob.

In 1984 when several of us from APSU (Jean Royse included) were marching with Spirit of Atlanta, Richard Daniel would oft times grab my baritone and play Seahawk or the baritone solo from TOSP.

BTW, I understand from some of my Spirit friends that drum instructor Tom Float would sometimes refer to the G-men as “The Cats in the Hats”

You mentioned some names here that are very familiar to me. Richard Daniel is still performing around the world. I saw good ol' Lloyd Dukes last year near Dallas. We had dinner together and he looks better than ever. He told me that he still sees Dale Warren on occasion at band shows in Texas. David Royse is a Music Professor at the University of Tennessee. All of these people were indeed Schaumburg Guardsmen at one time and besides that that all had one thing in the same-class. As the girls in the guard used to say, all of our southern gentlemen must have been brought up right by their Mama's 'cause they were all great individuals on the field and off.

Incidentally, some of these same people have left email addresses at the Guardsmen website, which can be found at www.guardsmendrumandbuglecorps.com

I believe it was purple.

No, Vince is setting you up. Back when I marched in the mid seventies, Vince's dad (Drum Corps Hall of Famer) Sal was assistant Corps director. Before any of our big shows he'd give one of those inspirational speeches where you were ready to walk through fire. Anyways, he always wore this ugly chartreuse sports coat and one day I finally found out why.

Sal was one of the marching leaders in the early fifties when they were trying to pick out a new uniform. The uniform company gave the guys a stack of fabric samples and they thought the chartreuse looked pretty sharp. When the fabric company looked at their selection they said "That color dye is pretty new and it probably won't hold up well to washings and sunlight. Why don't you use this tried and true Kelly Green fabric instead?" The rest is history.

By the way, Sal Ferrera had bypass surgery last week and I hope he's doing well.

• 4 years later...

I played Contra with them from '75 to'77, with '76 being the sweet spot. '77 in Denver hurt badly. My favorite set of music was in '75, but we didn't quite have the fortitude that we got in '76. We didn't work as hard in '75, and in '77 the chemistry just eluded us. Still, a great bunch of folks. It just does not seem like it was so long ago.

They had a good guard:

CCF00111605_00003.jpg

Part of the reason was that they were very serious about winter guard. And quite good at it.

I think you're thinking of Tim Salzman, who headed up the Guardsmen brass before departing for SCV.

Some interesting perspectives on G-men here. Speaking as a marching member, ('78 & '79 snare drummer) I can tell you that it was a very talented corps. Innovators in

guard, horns and drill. Never strong in percussion overall, but if you listen to or watch the CD's/DVD's you can hear and see that we certainly played some busy stuff. Even in

1977 when they did not make DCI finals, they had a very competitive corps that had soundly beaten several of the finals corps just a few nights earlier (no one ever remembers that...)

The Guardsmen produced MANY talented instructors to the drum corps activity, and band directors to the academic world.

Jim Campbell, who later went on to Cavaliers and many other talented marching bands was the percussion instructor/arranger for many years, and had many innovative idea's he

incorporated and never got the credit for. But he never really cared about that, anyway, because he was always thinking ahead and forward of the activity.

In a day when the Chicago area alone saw corps like the Guardsmen, Cavaliers, Imperials, Fox Valley Raiders, Phantom Regiment, Vaquero's, Geneseo Knights, Des Plaines

Vanguard, Nesei Ambassadors, Flying Dutchmen, Ottawa Crusaders and Royal Grenadiers all within a 100 mile radius of each other, and the Madison Scouts, Kilts, Blue Stars,

Colts, Saganiers, Wausau Story and the Marquise all within a reasonable driving distance, the activity was alive with talented people at that time.

Guardsmen did pretty good to survive and come along as they did, and I was proud (and still am...) to have been in the organization at such a strong time in their existence.

Any idea what ever happened to Mike Rameli, the horn instructor?

Rumor, fact, truth (pick one) has it that they had one corps member carry a flute, so as to not confuse the general viewing public.

I don't recall that, but they did a day of shooting with just a few of us. One of the shots was where Larry B (not going to try to spell his last name), the baratone player, stole a drumstick from the picnic table. So, it is possible. I sure wish I had a copy of that commercial.

One of the moves we did was a large circle around the table, shot from a helicopter. The All-American boy, a member of the All-American family, was a world class brat. In order for all of us to hear the count from our drill instructor (wish I could remember his name. He was a Cavalier and a heck of a guy) got under the table. The little brat kept kicking him, so he tied the boy's shoes together, a fact the kid did not realize until he went to get up. Hilarious.

FWIW, Al Lamert was a Ludwig executive and our corps Manager. The story goes that he was the key in stealing the commercial away from the Cavaliers. That's the rumor, anyway.

There were actually 3 days involved. One day of rehersal, 1 day with the small group I mentioned earlier, and 1 day with everyone, Colonel included. What a great guy. We played our show for them after lunch and had him sign a bass drum head. He did so with a tear in his eyes.

Anyway, for the day of rehersal instead of using an expensive helicopter the ad guys rented a hot air balloon. We did the commercial in the front yard of another Ludwig person (a heir, I think) and the field was next to a bunch of trees. Several ad guys got in the balloon and when they released it the wind caught it, dropped it over sideways, and dragged them quite a distance before they could get it to stop. Fortunately nobody was hurt.

Edited by Wort