Old WGI Photos

lnavis

Great Pictures! Keep them coming! :shutup::worthy::smile:

A confession: The main reason I have these scans is because on of my cats got sick on a stack of stuff that I had piled on my desk. Some of these winter guard pictures were among them, so I cleaned them off and threw them on the scanner as fast as I could to preserve the pictures, LOL! :thumbup:

not sure where this was taken however i believe the year was 1978[wgi's inaugural year] the show,"star wars"they were 2nd place at wgi [quasar won,you should have seen george zingali go beserk!] and yes their music was very loud indeed [i sat in the 14th row] and mr. brazale wanted it louder!what a show and what a suprise ending!anyone remember it?

I was at that very first WGI finals competition, too! I remember Seattle Imperials' ballet slippers, and how amazingly fluid and interpretive their work -- both equipment and body -- was. Marcus Whitman stands out in my mind, for some reason; I think because their rifle line was so good. Loved Cavies; it was a disco show, but they nailed it with their macho style. Loved Phantom and their precision (which is odd, because in later years, I wasn't a Phantom fan until they softened their tone in 1987 and wern't quite so "in your face"). Can't remember Phantom's music being noticeably louder for them than the others (I would've given that honor to Cavies), but I suspect you're right. At the time, I probably didn't appreciate Quasar the way I should have; now, in retrospect, I do.

At the time, I probably didn't appreciate Quasar the way I should have; now, in retrospect, I do.

santa esmerelda! :shutup:

....but i'm just a soul who's intentions are good

oh lord,please don't let me be understood.......! :thumbup:

cue double flags!!!!

Edited by dugg

1984 Pride of Cincinnati:

pride.jpeg

ARGH!!! Just once . . . just ONCE that season I would've appreciated the photographers not leaving me on the cutting room floor. Yep, if it would've panned over 1 more rifle spot to the right . . . that would've been ME!

FYI - The rifle on the extreme left of this photo is Nick Charles who later marched Cavies and then taught at Choctaw for a number of years.

Edited by GEVisual

ARGH!!! Just once . . . just ONCE that season I would've appreciated the photographers not leaving me on the cutting room floor. Yep, if it would've panned over 1 more rifle spot to the right . . . that would've been ME!

LOL, been there many a time, myself!

Actually, sometimes it isn't that the photographer didn't get you in, but that the photo got cropped for the publication. Who knows? You may be in that original photo, just not the published version.

Yes it was 1983.

Thanks, I'll make that correction!

The space year for the Skylarks was 1983 ... thank you soooo much for those pictures ... I'm the rifle on the right in the shot of the two rifles spinning ... Oh my goodness!!... I had such a HUGE smile on my face this morning .... so happy I found this thread ... I'll have to look and see what pictures I have to scan and how the heck to do it ....

thanks again!! xo :)