Star 93

ptr250, I have not insulted or attacked you in any way, so would you please answer my request. Please explain exactly how a show that lost by a tenth of a point and is still talked about 13 years latter can be refered to as a failure.

Edited by jminton

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m a little sad that I didn’t keep up with the activity

you said a mouthful there - after 20 years of no shows I can imagine 1993 Star was a tough read for ya :P We are still (as an activity) catching up to Star 93 in many regards - especially from a design and brass standard

ptr250, I have not insulted or attacked you in any way, so would you please answer my request. Please explain exactly how a show that lost by a tenth of a point and is still talked about 13 years latter can be refered to as a failure.

The reason that show is still talked about 13 years after the fact is because it was (is) so controversial. There are just as many people who hated the show as those who loved it. Was it a watershed mark in the history of the activity? You betcha! It changed the face of DC. IMO it did not change it for the better. It seemed every staff after that year was out to prove they were smarter, more obscure and could find the more esoteric piece of music. What didn’t seem to fit into the equation was whether the average fan would enjoy or be entertained by their “concepts”. I sat in the stands and watched the audience reaction to Star’s performance. Now I must point out I wasn’t around for the whole season, just the middle third. I never saw a standing “O”. Nobody threw any babies. Nice polite applause was the usual reaction and a look of bewilderment when the score were announced. The corps I really enjoyed (I didn’t see everyone) was PR.

If a DC goal is to provide a show that is entertaining experience for the average fan while the performance level is a close to perfection as possible, then ’93 Star was a failure. On the other hand if the goal is to impress the judges and those in the music education community, then I would have to say it was a complete success.

Seems to me it was Star who shed the big tears, had a tantrum and quit the game!

What is your deal man? It wasn't my choice that we left. It was one man's decision. So why are you hating on me? Besides that, this is a completely ignorant statement on your part. Obviously you haven't read any of the other threads regarding why we left. Hello Mcfly...Canadian Brass. I'll spell it out for you again since you haven't been paying attention. The decision to leave was made in June 1993!!! We could've won the championship and he still would've taken our corps out of DCI. Would that have been considered throwing a tantrum and quitting the game?

From the sound of it, you didn't like Star anyway so why the anger about us leaving?

I never saw a standing “O”. Nobody threw any babies. Nice polite applause was the usual reaction and a look of bewilderment when the score were announced.

Then you weren't at finals.

It is more clear that your years away from the activity did not lend you to seeing the evolution of Star of Indiana and the response from a crowd standpoint as the years progressed. Just like in most any activity/Sport as we began to move up the ranks and be there more and more all of a sudden the same people that reallly liked us in the early years began to hate us in the later years. It was always chalked up to "They have money and that is why they win" excuse me but B**LSH**. Maybe the other aspect of it was our director did not play the politically best way with DCI and also agitated some member of the DCI board. For whatever reason, specifically in the midwest, none of our shows were particularly appreciated other than when we went out east. It seems that the same crowds and fans that always appreciated the Cadets appreciated and showed their appreciation for our shows.

Now as to 1993. It was portraying exactly what the show was about and doing it in the most real way on a 100 yard stage. I guess in 1993 the activity went more of a direction of Art and for some they did not either appreciate, understand or like it.

Lastly, when you began your posts and were attacking the show then you opened yourself up for the show to be defended. Do not attack and then get your feelings hurt when someone protects something held close to them.

I've always liked STAR until the 93 show. And to the general public, it was NOT entertaining.....sorry. Good, yes, but NOT entertaining.

I stopped watching DCI after seeing that show because I was afraid others would follow. Thank God they didn't (too much)....but now I'm back watching most of the DCI corps....but not all.

Just an opinion.

I sat in the stands and watched the audience reaction to Star’s performance.

I think that's pretty funny. Just imagining someone sitting in an audience watching the audience. Hilarious! Thanks for that mental image. Now whenever I think about "people I never want to sit next to at a show", I can imagine you sitting there watching the audience, studying peoples' reactions. :wub: I'll add that to...

- people who count notes

- people who time how long a corps stands still

- people who boo

- the guy wearing 10,000 drum corps buttons on his hat who can't resist talking (loudly) about how these corps aren't as good as they were "in his day."

Worst "fans" ever.

Edited by rut-roh

If a DC goal is to provide a show that is entertaining experience for the average fan while the performance level is a close to perfection as possible, then ’93 Star was a failure. On the other hand if the goal is to impress the judges and those in the music education community, then I would have to say it was a complete success.

I would buy into this reasoning if it were not for the fact that if you look at classic countdown for 2006 you will see that the show you referred to as a "failure" is on that list of 12. Therefore, it would seem that the average fans do find it an entertaining experience.