Star 93

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt the EXACT same way...............until about 1998. :) It HAD to grow on me. I LOVE it now.

I have to agree with you.. I positively HATED it live.. and everytime I saw it, it was right after Cadets -- whose show that year was VERY entertaining. I felt kind of bad for the kids in Star because the audiences I was a member of were all still buzzing and talking about Cadets who'd just finished.. and it wasn't until about halfway through the first piece that people were kind of like.. "oh! there's another corps on the field" -- and oh how I hated sitting through it live..

A couple of years later, though.. I found myself watching it on videos and it really grew on me.. it's now among my favorites to watch/listen to..

I guess sometimes tastes change.. or maybe you need a little distance and time away from something to really learn how to appreciate it.

Stef

I felt the EXACT same way...............until about 1998. :) It HAD to grow on me. I LOVE it now.
I have to agree with you.. I positively HATED it live..

Stef

The fact that an incredibility talented and trained musician and a DC person took five years to appreciate the show is a perfect example why this show was a failure. How many Broadway productions, movies, TV shows would have five years to gain an audience? I guess it all comes down to if DC are suppose to entertain. Star’s ’93 show was not entertaining to the average person.

yeah - well - bad taste is protected under the constitution :P

so are morons...just look who sitting in the White House!!!

The fact that an incredibility talented and trained musician and a DC person took five years to appreciate the show is a perfect example why this show was a failure. How many Broadway productions, movies, TV shows would have five years to gain an audience? I guess it all comes down to if DC are suppose to entertain. Star’s ’93 show was not entertaining to the average person.

ohh wahhh...I hated your shows too.

Seems to me it was Star who shed the big tears, had a tantrum and quit the game!

Oh please....the contract with Canadien Brass was signed before the end of the season....you don't just set up shop with the world's premier brass quintet in a couple of months. Star would've left regardless. Get over it.

Maybe...just MAYBE, the 93 Star show was far enolugh ahead of it's time that the appreciation for it started when the REST of the corps world caught up????

I'll admit it took me a bit to get into the first half of the show....but the 2nd half has always been a good one to listen to.

Could you please explain exactly how a show that lost by a tenth of a point and is still talked about 13 years latter can be refered to as a failure.

Oh please....the contract with Canadien Brass was signed before the end of the season....you don't just set up shop with the world's premier brass quintet in a couple of months. Star would've left regardless. Get over it.

Maybe...just MAYBE, the 93 Star show was far enolugh ahead of it's time that the appreciation for it started when the REST of the corps world caught up????

I'll admit it took me a bit to get into the first half of the show....but the 2nd half has always been a good one to listen to.

Quite frankly I have nothing to get over. I saw my last live DC show in the late seventies and except for an occasional PBS broadcast had no contact with the activity until ‘92. I only got re-involved in the activity in ’92 because I was asked to video an interview with GR for SCV’s 25th anniversary. It was during the prep for the interview that GR stated he wished the alumni got more involved in the corps. I had a tremendous about of respect for the man and many happy memories of my DC days so I thought it was time to give something back. I’m a little sad that I didn’t keep up with the activity because from what I’ve seen recorded the eighties were where the activity reached its pinnacle. The only Star show I have seen was the ’93 production and I thought it was boring!!! The fact that other corps followed Star’s lead has only produced many many boring shows. Last year I went to the cinema to watch quarter finals. Never again, I’d rather watch hair grow. I don’t wish to disrespect the members because they are extremely talented and work as hard or harder then we ever did. I place the fault on the design staffs and the judges. I know I’m not the only one who feels this way. Flame away!

As I have read the SCV posts I can not decide if it is jealousy, ignorance or stupidity but as they say opinions are like A**Holes everyone has one and I guess this thread has its own as well b**bs

As I have read the SCV posts I can not decide if it is jealousy, ignorance or stupidity but as they say opinions are like A**Holes everyone has one and I guess this thread has its own as well b**bs

Hey General, first off my posts have nothing to do with SCV. Second why would I be jealous? I thought the show was boring. I think the majority of today’s shows are boring. Don’t like or agree with my opinion fine. You won’t change it by calling me stupid or an A hole.