If you really need to SAY something in a show...

You know, we have all this controversy over amps and especially after 05 narration during shows. You know easy it would be for say 30 seconds of drill to be "written" on the field? Cmon, 10 sentences spelled out is so much more creative and draws you into the show than some girl/guy shouting about it! I'd rather watch and focus on the could be crazy fastness of the drill and what it "has to say" than someone actually saying it.

Cmon now, get creative! Work around the rules, don't just take the easy way out! What would you have done three years ago when you couldnt amp a voice telling the story? Thats the beauty! You already have the tools to tell a story! Spell it out!

That was pretty much my rant of saying do you/(you better) think it would work to spell out a few sentences using drill rather than narration... thoughts? B)

disclaimer: T

his isn't an "i hate amps" thread, this is a thread about working around amps, and would it work! This also isn't an "I hate The Cadets 2005/George Hopkins/The Blue Devils 2005." Don't comment just to be nasty! Comment with constructive criticism.

Edited by yabetterbelieveit

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the 1917-1991, CCCP, Russia, and other stuff in SCV 05 was pretty cool.

I think I'd rather see drill shaping the colors portrayed by the music, rather than spelling out the words. That combined with the color guard and music telling the story. I would definetly not what to read words on the field when drill that actually means something is going on. As for narraration, I don't mind it as long as it fits with the show.. which I don't see why one would do so if it wouldn't.

I think both, words in drill or on banners, and vocals are cop outs on part of the design team. If a corps is going to attempt a cerebral show, which is awesome to be sure, they should put in the effort and get the idea across with the music and drill, without having to resort to plain words, spoken or written. Narration and or words on the field just shows a gross lack of immagination and effort.

Maybe star 90 could have done that mene mene tekel upharsin

In Hebrew, maybe....

Yeah it'd be really cool

do something like the style of drill

have the words jumblemorph to the next one.

People already do that, they're called college marching bands.

oi... it's been stated.

Talking in the context of DCI