Agree with me or disagree, IMO

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah they always have some #### impressive players and music, but all they do is play LOUD and get really edgey. That's the beauty of Star they were the loudest and the quietest and they had the best tone.

I'm going to be the third person to reaffirm that you're pretty much wrong. That's pretty essentializing to say that all BD does is play loud. And I would definitely not say they are the edgiest corps in DCI.

Edited by TTitans909

I just watched their show. Didn't see much in the way of missed attacks or releases. Other BD shows, sure. This one seemed pretty clean to me. The second-to-last note (which I know Jared is aware of) one of the tubas doesn't exactly play with characteristic tone. I still think that was a pretty #### good line. At least deserves mention in the top 10, if not top 5.

OT, but it sounds like a euph to me.

---------------------

I love BD 98. Maybe I need to listen to it again....I dont seem to recall any "horrific" attacks/releases. Were there a few that weren't squeaky clean? Yes. But to say they were dirty/horrific is a bit of an overstatement...IMO.

Actually I was going to say I thought it was a euph or bari... Jared has just always said contra so I was just kind of going with the flow. When I was listening to it today I definitely thought it might've been a bari/euph. Who knows?

Well not the edgeist, PR's low brass gets pretty crass. I am just saying they don't really focus on blending or dynamic contrast as much as rip your face off. I am only using BD in comparison to Star of Indiana. Star used dynamics masterfully, their loud sections are SO loud because they have been so quiet before hand. That's how dynamic effect works, how loud you are is relative to how you play everything else. Most other corps don't use dynamics or stress them so much. Hardly anyone has the balls to go out there playing PP and P like Star did B)

What do you call the beginning of BD 98 then? I guess it's a mp if you're considering it in traditional terms, but within the genre of drum corps it's pretty #### quiet.

Edited by TTitans909

Actually I was going to say I thought it was a euph or bari... Jared has just always said contra so I was just kind of going with the flow. When I was listening to it today I definitely thought it might've been a bari/euph. Who knows?

Huh? I've always thought it was a bari/euph. Someone who I talked to online today said they thought it was a contra, but I've always felt otherwise.

I've kind of revised my thread now, and am now decisive in saying that its the most POWERFUL hornline ever. Not only that, but the HORNLINE SOUND is the best I've ever heard.

I suppose it isn't clean enough to be the "greatest hornline ever," but when they were on, they were on.

I love BD 98. Maybe I need to listen to it again....I dont seem to recall any "horrific" attacks/releases. Were there a few that weren't squeaky clean? Yes. But to say they were dirty/horrific is a bit of an overstatement...IMO.

My statements about releases were not directed at this particular show. Just some shows over the years with some very good hornlines where the poor releases seemed very out of place and disturbing to me.