Agree with me or disagree, IMO

i have the best hornline ever

JUST ME

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1982 Blue Devils

24.7 in brass under the tick system (that's three audible mistakes for all you youngsters). What more needs to be said?

(and no, I'm not biased because I was there-it's because they were just that good!)

Oh man..... Devils were absolutely SIZZLING hot that year at the show in Bayonne, NJ. Hands down, easily one of the best performances I've ever seen from a drum corps.

Fran

This is topic is making me laugh so hard.... IT is amazing how peoples viewpoints change with time.

I was in BD in 98 and the talk of the whole corps and many others at that time was at how BAD the hornline was as compared to years past. That was a pretty sloppy hornline compared to years other years I marched, but it was unbelievably loud. The reason for the increased volume was due the fact that all of the amazing lead players that we had in 97 were gone. We had very few "screamers" that year so the horn book was written lower and the harmonies were not as thick as most BD shows tend to be. The result was a very warm /dark and loud sound....but let me say again. EVERYONE in DCI that year was talking about how BD's hornline was not very good that year.....untill finals

Fom someone that played in some of BD's hornlines... 97 was insane. We had crazy amounts of talent that year. There were some really exposed mistakes at finals that still make me cringe every time I hear them, but every night besides finals the hornline was lights out.

The Cavaliers 2002

:laugh:

I kind of like the effect of turning backfield. IMHO it has less to do with playing quietly and more to do with getting the reverb off the back wall.

To each his own.

Yes, backfield playing should be about effect. But so many times it is done for dynamic reasons, I would say over-done. A really cool effect is when one starts playing backfield and comes forward with no discernable change in volume. Now that is control. See the opening 'Circuses' section of Star 91'.

After reading some of the above I just re-listened to BD98'. Yeah, they might of slacked off from the previous two years, but were still quiet good. The DCI Season Pass streams from 98' are really 'off' in comparison to most of the other years so it is dificult to form a proper opinion.

Let me restate my previous post a bit.

BD98 was a very good horn line and they were the best hornline that year and In my opinion they deserved to win Brass....but they were not as good as other years I marched, much less all of the years and corpsbefore and after my time in the activity

On a related topic. The best hornline I ever heard standing still was the Cadets in 97...on the move was a different story

I would agree that like EVERY BD hornline in history - 1998 is no exception. But, to say that it is THEE best is to leave out too many great hornlines by them AND others.

Here are my top 5 favorites (in no particular order).

Blue Devils 1988

Spirit 1980

Suncoast Sound 1985

Star of Indiana 1990

Blue Devils 1993