Agree with me or disagree, IMO

That's kind of funny, because I wrote "BD and Cadets haters UNITE", and not "Those that hate on both BD and Cadets with an equal fervor." I was merely pointing out that these type of discussions often devolve into saying how NOT good a particular corps was, rather than supporting your own points for how good you think a particular corps was in a certain year. If you want to start a thread like "Worst hornlines for a championship corps ever," then go for it.

I didn't want to start a thread saying that, hence why I didn't. My original intent was more so for people to discuss the opinion that the BD '98 hornline produced the best ensemble sound and had more power than any other hornline in the history of drum corps. I'd certainly prefer to talk about that, than talking about which corps (in theory, all but one) DIDN'T have the best hornline ever. I even expressed a point saying that I didn't really want to discuss it, but that doesn't seem to be an option anymore.

The Cadets 1998 brass line was FAR from the worst championship horn line. What an outstanding sound, incredible charts, and what great attention to musical detail from this fine, fine horn line. Yes, sometimes a bit harsh in spots, but nothing so major that I would say they were the worst of the best.

Jonathan Willis

Canton, OH

I most definitely disagree. The soprano sound was quite possibly the worst I've ever heard out of even a top 3 drum corps. Great mellos. Low brass was out of tune more often than not, and also had a bad sound throughout. The whole hornline basically sounds like the ending section of Cadets 2000 that people (including myself) complain about, but for the length of the entire show. I'm well aware of the fact that they had extremely difficult drill that they pulled off magnificently, and that the music selections were difficult as well, but that doesn't make them exempt from criticism. But you know what? Start a new thread/poll about it, and there, we can see what other people think as well. Let's keep Joe happy and avoid him getting "riled up" and all, and keep this thread on topic.

DING DING DING!!!! This is what I was talking about, what I was comparing other things to, and why I was going to the extent I was. But unfornuately the politcally correct parade had to rear it's ugly head and tell me that "NO! They played quiet in X measures in year F". Perhaps they did, but compared to what Star of Indiana accomplished, um yeah. I would give Star the award for best hornline ever.

No one said that what you acclaimed about Star '92 was incorrect.

Listen to BD '91-'93 and listen to the GORGEOUS backfield/softly performed moments in those shows. Some of the best sounds I've ever heard on a football field.

examples:

6:12 in BD '92 to the end of that piece; the sop and bari duet.

Beginning and end of the jazz ballad from '91.

6 minutes into BD '93. Low brass and mellos (did the meehas make it to '93, or was '92 the last year?) are stunning.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The irony in my mind is the praise heaped apon the 92' Star line. A fantastic line that kicked serious butt all season while enduring 'boos' almost nightly. The loudest cheer they heard is when people watched them fall to third in the end. Luckily they always believed in what they were doing, but don't think they didn't feel that animosity. It would be curious to see how they would be received today.

I don't think there's any question about how they would be received. Star is basically revered in the drum corps community for what they accomplished in the late 80's early 90's. Being a drum corps youngster (comparatively) it baffles my mind that people would boo any of those shows. I mean okay if you don't LIKE the show, but how could you not have respect for the obvious talent and intensity of the performance?

Star took what drum corps was and innovated without changing any rules. And I'm not even so much talking about show concepts, as to what a corps could accomplish on the field, similarly, I think, to Cavies 2002 in the visual arena.

Ok sorry, I'm OT, carry on.

Edited by bluestarsmello

yeah well the future opinion of those 2 shows has yet to be determined. not everything hated in the present is loved in the future. i think star is a bit of an exception to the rule.

We used air contol to acheive softness or loudness. Control of air was the basis of the horn program, and it worked.

Rarely did you see a Star hornline turn backfield. We didn't need to.

I don't post this out of conceit... it's just a fact.

We used air contol to acheive softness or loudness. Control of air was the basis of the horn program, and it worked.

Rarely did you see a Star hornline turn backfield. We didn't need to.

I don't post this out of conceit... it's just a fact.

:lol::laugh::blink::blink::lol:

I kind of like the effect of turning backfield. IMHO it has less to do with playing quietly and more to do with getting the reverb off the back wall.

To each his own.