Favorite All Male Corps

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Accepted as in guys wanting to join? Or accepted as in girls not suing to join?

This has been a question all along.

I can remember arguing with people when I marched (in an all girl corps) that the Scouts should stay all male. They just wouldn't be the same with girls! Just as I don't think the Kilties are the same either - sorry!

I know it's easier for people to sue these days though! What's wrong with people????? ^0^

I'm not saying all-male is right or wrong. They just often say Madison and Cavaliers are the only two REMAINING all male corps. I was just wondering who some of the other ones were back in the day.

I don't think it would be a good idea today to start either an all-male or all-girl corps. Not that I personally have a problem with either.

The Argonne Rebels were a mixed corps through out most of its 30 year history. In the early 70's, they relied on talented female members. Only the color guard was all male.

Maybe it was the all-male color guard that made me think they were an all male corps. It seems unusual to have an all male guard in a mixed corps.

Usually back then if sections were divided it was all male horn and drum lines with all female guards (SCV for many years was that way I beleive).

Edited by shawn craig

That's why I started this thread on the historic area. Most of the all male coprs would have been prior to the 70's.

I imagine Kilties were the last all male corps other then the two current ones.

Were any of the top CYO, American Legion, or VFW corps all male (besides Cavies or Madison, both of which I love).

Edited by shawn craig

I'm not saying all-male is right or wrong. They just often say Madison and Cavaliers are the only two REMAINING all male corps. I was just wondering who some of the other ones were back in the day.

I don't think it would be a good idea today to start either an all-male or all-girl corps. Not that I personally have a problem with either.

I wasn't complaining about you - I was complaining about the people that can't get past the "it's ok to be only male or only female" issue.

Were the Kilties the last of the all male junior corps to go coed? I really don't remember anyone besides Scouts and Cavaliers after 1978.

Yes to my knowledge this was the last corps to go co-ed except for the Madison Junior Scouts (training unit for the Scouts) that went co-ed in 1995.

That's why I started this thread on the historic area. Most of the all male coprs would have been prior to the 70's.

I imagine Kilties were the last all male corps other then the two current ones.

Were any of the top CYO, American Legion, or VFW corps all male (besides Cavies or Madison, both of which I love).

The Racine Scouts were all male until 1969. Believe it or not, they still have a small parade only junior corps that is comprised of members of Boy Scout troop 200. They are still all male. They do at least as much camping and scouting as they do marching and playing. Last 4th of July the Kilties hornline got together with the little guys and played Lothar's arrangement of "Sponge Bog Square Pants" with them before the parade. It was priceless!

My corps started out all-male, but added girls soon after.

Shawn,

Since you guys were called General Putnam's Men, but marched girls also, I'll bet you heard some comments.

When I was with the Bluecoats, we were mainly sponsored by the Canton Police Boy's Club. Our busses had that logo on them. People were always saying "How can they have girls in the "Boy's Club?"