Favorite All Male Corps

The Argonne Rebels were a mixed corps through out most of its 30 year history. In the early 70's, they relied on talented female members. Only the color guard was all male.

This is an interesting piece of drum corps history that I didn't know !! :rolleyes:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both the De La Salle Oaklands and Toronto Optimists were all-male until 1972, which was the first year both corps began accepting females.

The first corps I marched in, the Diplomats from Sarnia Ontario, was all male. This corps was originally the Sertomanaires, one of the best corps in Canada in the 60s. Anyone with the 66 Shriners album will know its the Sertomanaires on the cover.

The last year for the Sertomanaires was 68. In 69 same guys, same uniforms, different amanagement, new name and no sponsor.

The corps folded in 1972.

Does anyone remember the Polish Falcons. They had an all male rifle line in 74. I think the guard was all male, so I'm wondering if the whole corps was. It's too long ago for me to remember. I know there's pics of them in the picture thread, but I've just done 19 hours of of work today and I'm feeling kinda lazy about looking.

Regards,

John Swartz

I just did a quick check on this one. Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights were all male between 1952-1971 and then were coed for the 1972 season.

In addition to Blessed Sacrament:

Garfield Cadets

St. Lucy's Cadets

St. Catherine's Queensmen

Miami Vanguards

Toronto Optimists

Belleville Black Knights

Skokie (Des Plaines) Vanguard

All senior/DCA corps prior to the Sunrisers' revolutionary 1969 guard.

"All senior/DCA corps prior to the Sunrisers' revolutionary 1969 guard"

Although not one of your higher echelon DCA corps, the Grenadiers from Albion NY beat a few of the big boys with their female guard starting in 1965.

"All senior/DCA corps prior to the Sunrisers' revolutionary 1969 guard"

Although not one of your higher echelon DCA corps, the Grenadiers from Albion NY beat a few of the big boys with their female guard starting in 1965.

I believe the Miami Goldcoasters, although pre-DCA, had a female guard as early as 1963.

I seem to recall a good friend of mine telling me that Phantom Regiment was at one time all-male -- very early in their existence and before they re-formed in 1958 (??). Then he said for a long time the horn and drum lines were all male and the guard was female only.

I wish I could remember all that.. and I wish Bob had a DCP signon and time to sit on the computer and chew the fat with us!!

Does anyone else have any information?

Stef