Everyone misses a solo once in a while...

The thing is, as wind musicians, or musicians in general, we focus on technique and precision when we practice. But, we are not prepared for the unexpected. The change of pressure, air movement, taking a great, continuous breath, opening of the throat, valve pressure, key movement, temperature, dampness, and, in general, chaos theory movement of keys all play a role. When you think about it from that aspect, its no wonder we all don't fall apart into little pieces.

Just recently, I had a bad problem during a solo. I have no excuse, but, also, no answers, which is the horrible throat. Was it the mouthpiece that is continuely giving me problems with back pressure, or openness of the throat? Who knows?

All I know is that, I will continue to practice the most I can, and play the #### out of every single piece I have.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He messed the solo up so bad, that the hornline didn't know when to come in...

Yet they did, by miracle. Thank god.

Everytime I hear that #### solo, my blood runs cold. I can feel the embarassment.

And why's he sound so out of tune! His timbre and intonation are totally sticking out from the corps'.

A better question is, does anyone have video of him nailing it?

I heard he was a phenomenal soloist. It's just really sad that 17 years later this still won't go away...I feel bad for the guy.

You bet I do. Volume three of the 1989 top 25 prelims performnaces. An awesome BD show, awesome, stunning solo, and a great corps. Big deal, he played less than ideal on finals night.........doesnt take away the beauty of the piece, or the talent of the performer.

GO BD

~G~

At the BIG frack, no....it's a shot from teh mid-level stands....but at the end of teh piece, the shot switches to a field level one...looking up at him and the other player (it had become a duet) from underneath. You can see him say something....I think he dropped the F bomb....certainly what it looked like.

It's a testament to the entire corps that the worst frack in the history of DCI finals didn't completely suck the life out of the corps....they went right back into it....they HAD to.

Rich...I don't know HOW you guys did it.

Sam, you are right on. Tremendous props to the 89 BD crew for finishing strong. In my travels, I have learned that he said quite a few words that you wouldn't want on a CD. Fortunately, those are not on any recording I have heard. After that song he asked the guy playing the duet to play the solo in Allegre. I have been told that the duet player was the only upper lead who did not know that solo.

I remember reading a story that Tim Root told about playing F tuning with that guy. It went something along the lines of Tim playing a double C as loud as he could at the end and not being able to even hear himself because Dan was laying into an F above that at paint peeling volume.

Carlito

#### straight!!!

Nothing even remotely close happened like that in 84...at least not on a soloist level. For me, there was a turn direction change we put in aty the end of "Latin Implosion"....I missed the change in show at the Stockton show.

I remember feeling like absolute #### when I finished the turn....but I had to throw it off and contoinue with the show.

There are often mistakes....sometimes bad ones. What happened to Dan was memorable only because he was a featured soloist and VERY exposed musically...PLUS he was in BD and we expect more out of someone at that level.

The poor guy in Dutch Boy 90 at the end of the show was fracking all over the place, ..but the OMG factor isn;t as great from a 12th place corps as is is for a multiple time world champ.

Was that Roland? who later went to march with BD.

the original DCI recordings from that year features the performance from semi-finals, due to the strong political influence of BD org. but on their "through the years" cd, its on there...

I don't think it had anything to do with any "political" influence of the Blue Devils. I'm pretty sure every corps director is given the option to use the semi-finals recording for the CD's.

I don't think it had anything to do with any "political" influence of the Blue Devils. I'm pretty sure every corps director is given the option to use the semi-finals recording for the CD's.

It happened before....83 SCV was NOT finals....and 90 Dutch Boy wasn't either...Dutch Boy hardy had the political clout BD did or does.