Inclusion

One of my friends had a blind student in her marching band. He was a percussionist. They put him on snare and they tried to march him by tying the drums together with ropes. Apparently this did not last very long, which is unfortunate.

Wow . . . that seems like the worst idea. Ever.

Not to say that trying to include him wasn't great, it is, but tying his drum to the drum lines? Having a blind person out on the field just seems ludicrous.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many corps will work to accomodate someone with a disability. Just make sure the corps has good information about you before you go in and that you want to be accepted based on your talent and commitment to the organization. It really is our duty as a non-profit to be accessible to all who want to join our organizations. It would surprise you how little it takes to actually include ALL people in drum corps.

Create peace,

Brent Turner

Inclusion Teacher Eden Prairie High School

MBI Corps Director

That ........ sure plays a mean pinball!

Yeah....never mind, haha. I'm dumb.

(and from the wrong era?)

No really, I get it though.

A member of an English corps told me they used to uniform up a few fans who were Down Syndrome, and let them participate in retreat. That had to have been very exciting for those folks. Good for that corps. :)

i am glad Hoppy spoke out, cause it seems to have put the issue up for more research as opposed to a full vote.

both sides have plusses and minuses. i do think fans in different areas deserve a chance to have finals close to home, and if we go anywhere for a few years at a time, the west coast should get it just due to being left out so long.

There was a mellophone player in a corps I taught who was tone deaf. :P Just kidding, she had the best attitude in the corps. She was self-proclaimed tone deaf.

Seriously though, what about the Blue Knights' mellophone player from the mid 90's who had one hand? I heard he had this special grip on his horn that allowed him to do all the horn moves and everything with one hand just as well as everyone else that had 2.

There was a mellophone player in a corps I taught who was tone deaf. :P Just kidding, she had the best attitude in the corps. She was self-proclaimed tone deaf.

Seriously though, what about the Blue Knights' mellophone player from the mid 90's who had one hand? I heard he had this special grip on his horn that allowed him to do all the horn moves and everything with one hand just as well as everyone else that had 2.

Was'nt there also a mellophone soloist in Garfield (aka whatever!) who had only one hand. Early eighties i think.

Was'nt there also a mellophone soloist in Garfield (aka whatever!) who had only one hand. Early eighties i think.

Yeah, it was a girl I think, that is why they stil do that crazy horns down. It was made to accomodate this girl that had one hand, and I guess they just kept doing it. Thats what I heard

Edited by SopranoSesto

Yeah, it was a girl I think, that is why they stil do that crazy horns down. It was made to accomodate this girl that had one hand, and I guess they just kept doing it. Thats what I heard

I am pretty sure it was a girl and if memory serves she was a soloist in either 83 or 84. Will have to go look at the DVD's tonite. Thanks for the excuse.

Cheers,

Bob