An Essay to read and Relate to....

I was prompted to write an essay explaining family and what it means to me for one of my classes. It was due right after the Harrisburg show.

Family

When asked to write a paper on my experience with family I chose a bit of a different approach. Family to me extends far past the blood lines of genealogy and into a persons heart and soul. My family is much larger then any family tree could ever possibly graph and it is with out a doubt the biggest support system I have.

You may wonder what I am describing as family, and to that I answer Drum Corps. For most of my life I have been involved in music programs ranging from High School marching band to Orchestra and Choir. But never have I been involved with such an outstanding group of Individuals as the Erie Thunderbirds. I have only been in the corps for 2 years but, in that two years I have made some of the greatest friends and have come to realize that they are a part of my life in a huge way. These people bend over backwards to help you, they are there to support you and they help you up when you fall. We overcome difficulty and celebrate achievement together as a whole. For 9 months out of the year we practice, play, travel and party together and this organization creates solid bonds that are difficult to break. I can not imagine not being a Thunderbird and I am proud to say that I am.

Family extends past the bloodlines of genealogy, into a persons heart and soul, and every member of the Thunderbirds has a place in mine.

Edited by pitchick91

If the whole world would act like a drum crops family, the world would be a better place. Competition would be friendly and would never get to the point of turning violent. Everyone would come together in the spirit of friendship and comraderie--recognizing what they have in common, not their differences. People would work hard for the sake of betterment, not driven by the almighty dollar. They would understand when one wins, we all win.

Yeah, that would be Utopia. Too bad it only exists on the marching field. :worthy:

Family to me extends far past the blood lines of genealogy and into a persons heart and soul. My family is much larger then any family tree could ever possibly graph and it is with out a doubt the biggest support system I have.

You may wonder what I am describing as family, and to that I answer Drum Corps.

Family extends past the bloodlines of genealogy, into a persons heart and soul, and every member of the Thunderbirds has a place in mine.

I am touched. Corpsdom truly is a special place.

I was prompted to write an essay explaining family and what it means to me for one of my classes. It was due right after the Harrisburg show.

Family

When asked to write a paper on my experience with family I chose a bit of a different approach. Family to me extends far past the blood lines of genealogy and into a persons heart and soul. My family is much larger then any family tree could ever possibly graph and it is with out a doubt the biggest support system I have.

You may wonder what I am describing as family, and to that I answer Drum Corps. For most of my life I have been involved in music programs ranging from High School marching band to Orchestra and Choir. But never have I been involved with such an outstanding group of Individuals as the Erie Thunderbirds. I have only been in the corps for 2 years but, in that two years I have made some of the greatest friends and have come to realize that they are a part of my life in a huge way. These people bend over backwards to help you, they are there to support you and they help you up when you fall. We overcome difficulty and celebrate achievement together as a whole. For 9 months out of the year we practice, play, travel and party together and this organization creates solid bonds that are difficult to break. I can not imagine not being a Thunderbird and I am proud to say that I am.

I am also touched.

That is so sweet.

Not sure if it's 'cause I have connections to some Alumni corps (even if they don't use that term :P ) or just because I'm back in DC during the Internet age. But whenever I get an email from a corps it's a 50/50 shot that the msg is about a gig or news about a corps family member (good, bad or sad). My wife was never connected with corps but thinks it's great how the corps that send these emails watch out and care for each other. ^OO^

Not sure if it's 'cause I have connections to some Alumni corps (even if they don't use that term :P ) or just because I'm back in DC during the Internet age. But whenever I get an email from a corps it's a 50/50 shot that the msg is about a gig or news about a corps family member (good, bad or sad). My wife was never connected with corps but thinks it's great how the corps that send these emails watch out and care for each other. ^OO^

It is wonderful to see everyone sticking together. Yes, the Internet age is definitely helping all of us. I can't say enough about how neat it is to see all the communication amongst the different members of the different corps. I know that every person I meet in drum corps is someone else that I can come back and ask for advice in the future. The best part is, I'll get that advice because we've all been through just about everything.

It is a wonderful essay, and your drum corps family is always there for you!

Drum corps families.

I've felt that way all my life. All 48 years.

When I was away from the activity, life just wasn't the same. I feel complete now that I'm back. Home.

Of course my family is bigger than your family. ~grins~

I remember dreaming as a kid of living in a housing development solely for drum corps people.~grins~

Now I'm thinking more along the lines of a retirement home for drum corps nuts. LOL

Yea I know. I'm sick with it!~grins~

Family

Very nicely put, Kelly. As we are fond of saying, "Once a Thunderbird, a Thunderbird for life."

If that isn't family, I don't know what is!

Happy Easter everyone!

Kelly,

I must admit that is an awesome essay. You know, I have been around alot of places, and I will tell you that I concur with you about the Thunderbirds. I mean, I have known many of the members for years , but to be around the corps, as a corps for a short time as I have, I agree that they are first class people. Gary and Tommy M., Joe S., Jeff Gibbens, Nick, Gene, all of the Mikes, Howard and his better half et al...

Tommy D come back and play next to me, because I am getting close to my Phoenix chops...ask the rest of the leads about dubbas I have [popping on a regular]...I know life comes first now and I certainly respect you tons for it, but it really aint Erie without the (used to be) fat man blowing his horn.

Peace out!

Donny

I would use that avatar if someone tells me how to get one...