trumpet prices . . . . .

TCHSBandNerd09

Have you played on some of the F.E. Olds horns? The Recording, the Mendez, the Opera... How bout some of the old Martin, or even Conn horns.

-Doc

WOW - I haven't heard someone talk about the Olds horns in a LONG time. My Olds Recording trumpet is in pretty good shape and is still a GREAT horn. Sadly, it doesn't get much use anymore - but I just can't imagine ever parting with it. WAAAY too many great memories associated with that axe.

-john

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, Tuscaloosa is not "Redneckville". I happen to live there myself (attend UA as a trumpet major) and there is much, much worse in Alabama! :P

My first question is: have you even played the thing or are you just wowed by its looks and the stats on it? This a "boutique" horn --- limited production, limited scope in terms of intended buyers. As such, it's going to carry a much higher price tag, and you're not really going to find any used.

My advice: take a trip down Hwy 82 to Montgomery and visit Jim Darby at Capitol Music. He deals in Bach, Holton, Getzen, Schilke, and Kanstul. You'll be able to find a horn that will fit all of your needs to way beyond college for a lot less change. Stay away from Tuscaloosa Music -- they're a rip off.

Then again, it's your cash, so spend as you will.

Drop me a PM if you want to talk some.

If you are going to go with a Bach route, play as many as possible. The current line has many dogs. I would say if you grabed 10 37 bell Bachs and played them, it would break down like this.

4... Lemons

3... Ok horns... A little stuffy on certain valves.

2... Good horns... Play like a Yamaha

1... True Bach... Plays like, sounds like, and feals consistant.

This is why I always recomend use. Early Elkhart horns can be found and 8/10 are very good horns. If I had a choice out of a NEW BACH or and old Olds Ambassador(a student model olds)... I'll take the Olds. OH... BTW on of the trumpet players with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band plays on a Olds of that model.

Now the Bob Reeves horn is his design made by Stomvi. The band I work with has several players on Stomvi's and they are well made, quality horns but they lack that sound.

Wow. I'd like to have a BMW, but it's just too hard to justify the $$$ when you can get a Honda for half the price. I think it's the same with horns. You should be able to get a very playable Yamaha, Bach or Schilke for around $1500. What exactly are you getting that's worth paying double for?

Wow. I'd like to have a BMW, but it's just too hard to justify the $$$ when you can get a Honda for half the price. I think it's the same with horns. You should be able to get a very playable Yamaha, Bach or Schilke for around $1500. What exactly are you getting that's worth paying double for?

Get a Bach Strad 43 Most of the pros use just a standard Strad 43.. Great horn and if you shop it right you can get them for about 1500 and change..

If you are going to go with a Bach route, play as many as possible. The current line has many dogs. I would say if you grabed 10 37 bell Bachs and played them, it would break down like this.

4... Lemons

3... Ok horns... A little stuffy on certain valves.

2... Good horns... Play like a Yamaha

1... True Bach... Plays like, sounds like, and feals consistant.

This is why I always recomend use. Early Elkhart horns can be found and 8/10 are very good horns. If I had a choice out of a NEW BACH or and old Olds Ambassador(a student model olds)... I'll take the Olds. OH... BTW on of the trumpet players with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band plays on a Olds of that model.<snip>

You're right on with the new Bachs. They have to be tested thoroughly. The old Bachs were far more consistent.

The Olds Mendez was/is quite a fine trumpet, as are most all the Olds.

I interviewed and reviewed a Dirty Dozen Brass Band concert at the International Trumpet Guild Conference one year. Great band with lotsa stamina.

Most of the pros use just a standard Strad 43

I don't think this is necessarily true - there are many Yamahas, Stomvis, Schilkes, and others out there. If you do look for a Bach - try it first, and have a pro try it if possible - bssop97 is definitely right when it comes to the manufacturing inconsistencies.

Any horn you should be testing countless numbers. When I bought my Bach 43, I tried at least 8-10 of them, a bunch of Bach 72s, and a pile of Yamahas. At that time and for what I've needed, the Bach has been great, but there is definitely not a "one size fits all" when it comes to trumpets. You should never feel pressured to buy whatever because the store or your teacher told you so (In this case, I mean a teacher saying "only" this or that horn). You are the one ultimately spending the $$

I still use the Olds Ambassador that I learned on.. Blends in good, nice valve action, and it bounces when you drop it! Parts are plentiful, not to mention cheap. Since I collect Olds I am a little partial to them. They made great horns..

I'm not really hard corps into the high brass. But I have had the chance to play lots of different equipment. And you are right, some horns work better than others for some folks.

I just reminded myself to call the shop to see if they got an estimate ready for the repairs on my Olds Concert Tuba. I still want to find a Olds Marching Baritone Bb, and a 2 Valve Ultratone II Contra. :lol: F.E. Olds & Son