Another Corollary to the Vault Question

So obviously BD has the most championships of any corps (11), but while looking up the answer for the DCI Trivial Vault question I was surprised at how much they have dominated DCI over the past 33 years. I checked and saw which corps had the most 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place finishes and was surprised at what turned up. Here you go:

First Place finishes:

1. BD - 11

2. Cadets - 9

3. SCV - 6

3. Cavies - 6

Second Place finishes:

1. SCV - 7

2. BD - 6

3. Cadets - 5

4. Cavies - 4

4. PR - 4

Third Place Finishes:

1. SCV - 8

2. BD - 7

3. Cavies - 4

3. Cadets - 4

3. PR - 4

Fourth Place Finishes:

1. BD - 6

2. SCV - 4

2. Cadets - 4

2. Scouts - 4

So BD has the most Top 4 finishes in DCI history (30, failing only to make the top 4 in 1973, 1974, and 1991) compared to SCV who is second with 25. They have also medaled more times than anyone else (24), with SCV once again in second with 21. Devs have been more successful for anyone else for longer than anyone else. I guess I had never realized that they had only been outside the top four 3 times, only once since their meteoric rise to the top. Kind of makes me think it'll take an act of God for them to drop any lower than they are right now.

Anyway, just some food for thought.

So obviously BD has the most championships of any corps (11), but while looking up the answer for the DCI Trivial Vault question I was surprised at how much they have dominated DCI over the past 33 years. I checked and saw which corps had the most 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place finishes and was surprised at what turned up. Here you go:

First Place finishes:

1. BD - 11

2. Cadets - 9

3. SCV - 6

3. Cavies - 6

Second Place finishes:

1. SCV - 7

2. BD - 6

3. Cadets - 5

4. Cavies - 4

4. PR - 4

Third Place Finishes:

1. SCV - 8

2. BD - 7

3. Cavies - 4

3. Cadets - 4

3. PR - 4

Fourth Place Finishes:

1. BD - 6

2. SCV - 4

2. Cadets - 4

2. Scouts - 4

So BD has the most Top 4 finishes in DCI history (30, failing only to make the top 4 in 1973, 1974, and 1991) compared to SCV who is second with 25. They have also medaled more times than anyone else (24), with SCV once again in second with 21. Devs have been more successful for anyone else for longer than anyone else. I guess I had never realized that they had only been outside the top four 3 times, only once since their meteoric rise to the top. Kind of makes me think it'll take an act of God for them to drop any lower than they are right now.

Anyway, just some food for thought.

Yeah, well every year except their first they have been in top 5.. 5th places being rare. They just get so much talent there it is impossible for them not to :P

Amazing! Looks like the west coast corps tend to dominate the top 4 slots usually.

They've finished near the top a lot of times, but I don't know if I'd say they "usually" dominate the top four since some of that success (particularly SCV's) was concentrated in DCI's first decade or so. 10 of the first 11 DCI titles were won by corps from California. Of those ten, the Kingsmen won the first one, the Blue Devils had five titles, and SCV won four times.

They have the best overall record for titles and for top 4 placements largely because they are darn good.

You can tweak the numbers to say different things if you start with different years, but the bottom line is that the Blue Devils are a fabulous drum corps. SCV in many ways would compare had it not been for some lean years, but the Blue Devils have also had some not-so-great years. For BD however, not-so-great meant 4th, maybe 5th place.

It is more difficult for the younger fans to truly put in historic perspective just how good the west coast corps were in the late 60s, 70s, and 80s. From 1972 to 1982 it was West Coast 10, and everyone else 1 (Madison in 1975). From 1972 until 1989 it was West Coast 12, everyone else 5 (Madison 2x and Garfield 4x).

Coming out of the pre-DCI era, there were some very special things and special talents on the West Coast. They gave us modern drum corps, and it really started with Gail Royer and the SCV dynasty. Even Wayne Downey mentions this on the 1990 telecast. The Blue Devils learned from the best and became the best. Those two corps used to duke it out all season long (and still do at times, although BD has seemingly had the advantage in recent years).

Had it not been for Garfield in the 1980s, these two corps would have even more titles. Keep this in mind, in each of the years that Garfield won in the 80s, the 2nd place corps was ALWAYS a California corps. BD would have won in 83 and 84, and SCV would have win in 85 and 87. And in 1983, 84, and 85, the 3rd place corps was also from California. It was not until the 1990s that we found a bit more competition for the west coast with the likes of Phantom, Star, and Cavaliers.

One of the reasons Garfield became so incredibly popular in the 1980s was that they took down the duo dynasty that many thought impossible. But once Garfield started to rack them up (now 9 and counting), they, too, took on that cursed Boston Celtics-like syndrome of being the corps that fans wanted to see beat. BD and SCV had that same effect on many in those early days. I remember seeing semi-finals in Montreal in 1982 (which were held at McGill University) and I remember thinking about how good all the corps were. Right up through Phantom (and they were on 3rd from last at semis) I kept thinking 'this is great, anyone can win this year.' And then SCV and BD went on and I just sat there in awe, completely stunned. I thought to myself in a very confident inner-voice: "well, I guess there is really NO question about who is top 2 this year." Staying for scores was completely unecessary.

Jonathan

Blue Devils are still experiencing that!

Yes, I agree with you. Blue Devils and Cadets are probably the two corps that experience that Boston Celtics-like syndrome. SCV does not, largely due to more recent history which has put the corps in the underdog role (fighting for top 4 or 5) on numerous occasions.

It is difficult to say who the most popular corps are today, but I would say Phantom and Bluecoats stand out. But SCV, Madison, Cavaliers, Troopers, and Blue Stars have either maintained or improved their popularity status. Crossmen are right there, and Crown is certainly moving up on everyone's radar.

If the Cavaliers should happen to win this year, which would make it 5 out of 7, they may start to experience those same sentiments enjoyed by the Blue Devils and Cadets. Of course, I love them, all of them. And the Cavaliers 2004 show may just be the best overall drum corps show I have seen since Garfield 1987. They scored higher in 2002, but 2004 is just fabulous.

It is easy to see that winning a lot does not always bring the right kind of fame and fan popularity.

Jonathan

Interesting tidbit of information here, it's pretty cool.

I'd say the Cavaliers are feeling it. I think their threepeat put them up there with Devs and Cadets. Especially since the 2 years they didn't win in the 2000s, they finished 2nd.