West Side Story

OK....as far as music I would go with 1984 Cadets. As far as guard & hornline visual I would go with '87 Sky Ryders! Imagine if we could have combined the two!

As much as I loved WSS, I truly think this is one of the many muscial selections that should be put on a shelf and locked in closet and never to be touched again for 50 years.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never got to see the '84 Cadets program live, but I have seen the tape. Introduced so much later, it seemed a bit quaint, though in it's day I can imagine it was startling. And, unfortunately, with the editing, there is so much of the show as a whole I've not seen. May if I'd seen it live . . .?

I did see the '94 program live on three occassions, and it was thrilling. I played several roles in the show in my day and this version gave me that punch in the gut the show gave me as a cast member. Everytime I watch the tape, I get that same feeling.

I really liked a section of a Kiwanis Kavalier program from a couple of years back - I think it was The Rumble in a percussion feature - early in the season it rocked, but seemed tame later on.

About Cadets 94...it's definitely not my favorite, but with regards to its arranging...I actually think it's an extremely smooth arrangement, much like people say about their 84 show. The transitions are very very good, and I especially like they way the arranger was able to blend "I Have a Love" and "A Boy Like That" toward the end...and the return of the fake out -then- reverse company front.

What about either time Kiwanis did it!?

I really enjoyed Kiwanis' 1996 version -- which, if I'm not mistaken, was the corps' highest finish ever. At semifinals I sat next to the mother of the girl who played Maria ... she was so proud of her daughter.

Edited by davam