• Colts
    • Carolina Crown
    • Boston Crusaders

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked Crown's show that year.

Robert W. Smith happens to be one of my favorite composers. I especially LOVE "The Great Locomotive Chase," as well as "Ireland: of Legend and Lore." He is definitely not a "hack." His pieces are constructed well, are generally very intense, and very exciting.

I am hardly ever on here anymore and just jumped on to check things out. A little surprised to see any threads from back in my day - It is so cool to see a show we put on 10 years ago being appreciated still. I was in the opening group (the octet). Good times!

Definitely Magic. Though I really liked that Crown show.

Interesting....a guy from Magic's pit in '96 (auxillary percussion....played the...uhh...was that a steel rail?) took 5 years off, and then aged out in 2002. There was an article on dci.org about him a while ago. He teaches at a local high school around where I live.

Magic's hornline was outstanding in 96. I give special props to the Bari/Mello duet.

The sound quality they generated was amazing considering the poor quality of the horns. Not even to mention how mismatched they were. What a controled sound that was. :wub::wub::laugh:

RWS is most definitely not a hack. He ranks among the most incredible minds I have ever seen. To graduate from COLLEGE at 18 and get a job teaching...pretty incredible if you ask me.

12 is probably the best piece he has written, even compared to the two symphonies.

A good teacher does not a good composer make. If you like RWS, that's fine, and I'm sure he's a great educator. Richard Saucedo is a great educator too, but you can't honestly tell me his music is "incredible". But whatever that's just my opinion. Band directors shouldn't write music.

Robert W. Smith happens to be one of my favorite composers. I especially LOVE "The Great Locomotive Chase," as well as "Ireland: of Legend and Lore." He is definitely not a "hack." His pieces are constructed well, are generally very intense, and very exciting.

The Great Locomotive Chase!?!?! Are you telling me a middle school educational band work is a great piece of music!? Well you certainly changed my mind, how dare I call him a hack, this man is obviously a genius in his own time!

Edited by dcpguy1111

Definitely Magic. Though I really liked that Crown show.

Interesting....a guy from Magic's pit in '96 (auxillary percussion....played the...uhh...was that a steel rail?) took 5 years off, and then aged out in 2002. There was an article on dci.org about him a while ago. He teaches at a local high school around where I live.

Drew Tucker? He teaches at Magic now I believe. Awesome percussionist and all-around great guy.