Marion Cadets go inactive (again) in 2006

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has a corps ever moved? now that i ask it, i remember Southwind has moved.

it seems like they have every thing they need except kids... and here in Central NC we have kids but no Div II/III corps within 8-10 hours or so. I mean, would'nt you rather see the Madison Glory Cadets from Madison NC then an inactive group? Call me!!!

:)

Don

Has a corps ever moved? now that i ask it, i remember Southwind has moved.

Well, the corps in your avatar moved from Atlanta, GA to Jacksonville, AL. :P

As a member of the corps the last time it did actually field a corps, I can tell you a couple things. First, the staff/members were NOT the problem; we had an amazing summer on the field. Second, the treatment from the management was terrible, to both the members and staff (not to mention the food situation,or lack thereof), hence why there were less than 5 vets and almost no staff who returned in 05, and probably the same reason why there wasn't anyone there this year.

there wasn't enough brass

That's an understatement; at no point was there ever more than 5 brass. As stated above, the staff/members were most definately not the problem. As someone who did attend the few camps that were held, the management is what is holding the corps back. Unfortantely for any brass/guard/percussionist that try to march there in the future (if there is a future), I don't see that changing anytime soon. <**>

But looking at the future, how do you think their indoor (if it goes through) would fare because I would LOVE to be part of that

Good to see some things dont change... the management was horrible in 2001, which is why I never went back. Cant count how many times the director threatened to cancel the rest of tour that summer.... I would expect better from a former Cavalier.

I must first say that this post could be viewed as unprofessional, and in all likelihood...it probably is in fact unprofessional. However, I believe there is something terribly wrong with the management of the Marion Glory Cadets Drum and Bugle corps, and the things that have gone unsaid for the past six years must be addressed now.

The Marion Cadets have never had a successful (if any) recruitment program. In the years I spent as a member of this organization most of the recruiting was done by the members and instructional staff. The last year that I marched, I recruited 12 out of 20 horns myself.

The management has always been unorganized. As anyone who is involved in the activity knows, communication is paramount. In my years as both a member and staff member phone calls were never returned to staff, parents, members and recruits. Emails had about a one in ten chance of being returned. But when they were returned, they were more-often-than-not an all caps-locked, run-on sentence that would be completely incomprehensible.

Another major downfall of the Marion Cadets is that when they did have enough members to field a corps, the members were not treated well. On many occasions when I marched, the corps went to sleep very hungry. It was a usual occurrence to receive half portions in the meal line, and even with the reduced portions, there would not be enough food to go around. There were also many days in the 2004 season when the corps would only provide one meal for the day and left the members on their own for the rest. In a few circumstances when member’s parents would call to complain about the food situation, the member whose parent called would be punished. However, the hunger was often overlooked by the members because of the onslaught of disrespect we received from management on a daily basis. Fortunately, we had some of the best instructional staff in the activity that did treat us with respect. And, very often, these instructors would stand up for us against management to make sure we were treated better and fed more often.

Despite how negative I sound in this post-- I love this corps. I learned allot about myself as a person and as a musician in my years in the ranks of the Marion Glory Cadets. I would love to see this corps back on the field not just as a competitive corps, but as the powerhouse it has the potential to be in division II/III. And most importantly, I want other young adults to have a great drum corps experience. However, I doubt it is possible for this to happen with the current management in place.

If the Marion Cadets Inc. really does in fact have a board of directors, I urge you to find somebody competent enough to get this corps back on the field. The mismanagement and abuse of the Marion Cadets has gone on far too long.

A very proud and upset alumnus of the Marion Glory Cadets,

Michael P. Welch