Review of Mighty St. Joe's Classic

Well, I think it's more than safe to say that anyone who missed the Classic missed a GREAT show!

The Greece High Schools Marching Band is ALWAYS fun to listen to. Those young kids have got a good thing going (I'm sure their instructors know that). And I hope that St. Joe's keeps having the Classic there so we can see these kids every year.

Before I begin my review, keep in mind that being "in" drum corps doesn't give you much time to see the other performing corps. I saw Erie's drumline in the parking lot and was very impressed with the "groove" in their style. Unfortunately, didn't get to hear their show, but from what I heard after, they were "smokin".

I saw Cru's drumline in the parking lot, and those guys and gals sounded great! Isn't just being around drum corps fantastic in itself? I think it's going to be a VERY interesting competitive season. So much talent so early. Again, unfortunately, missed their show but heard MANY fine comments.

I caught about 5 minutes of Prime Time Brass and I thought they were going to have to call the fire dept. I could hardly see from all the smoke :-)

I caught about 2 minutes of The Ghost Riders warmup and fell in love with Paliachi (probably not spelled correctly). Who whooo whoooo - what a fantastic arrangement! They almost knocked my socks off !!! Good thing I had my shoes on :-)

I saw about 5 minutes of Empire's performance - and the audience was REALLY getting into it. What I saw was absolutely fantastic. I can't even BEGIN to imagine what a fantastic drum corps season is pending for this year.

I'm probably a little biased, but being an ex-St. Joe's member, I watched them practice and I can tell you (like always) they simply SHINE at their own show. Of course, it was fun for me to see a lot of my old friends. I can tell you that when the horn line is facing away from the audience during Ken Peterson's solo in Georgia, and then turn around, it is a wall of sound that blasts you out of your seat. Fantastic effect.

Last, but certainly not least, Dansville White Sabers (my new corps). Talk about being biased, having practiced all season with these guys and gals has been a truly fun experience for me. I felt we did a fantastic job. My personal favorite "Argentina" seemed to please the crowd. I was very excited and pleased to be a part of this drum corps tonight and a part of the show itself. It was a LOT of fun.

I apologize for my short descriptions of the corps, but it is difficult to get to see much when you're performing as well. I would like to hear a review from someone who saw ALL of the performances. All I can say (as you ALL know) is what a FANTASTIC experience drum corps is and always will be. So much hard work from so many individuals - you put it all together and WOW - EVERYONE should be PROUD of the jobs that were done tonight. The hard work SHOWS.

:huh:

It's gonna be a GREAT year for drum corps!

Let's hear those reviews!!!!!!!!! Thanks

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is that was the most fun I have had since...Harrisburg!!!

Although I performed with the first 2 groups out there I will say that the show was a huge success. The after show party was also a great time with Rochester area drum corps folks reminiscing inside and outside the hall. DCA in Rochester will be great this year. The people here really love drum corps!!!!

I received many compliments about Prime Time Brass and the only thing I will say about THAT performance is we left no stones unturned. Playing next to Mark Kelly, Scott Stansfield, Chris Castellon, et al is a treat. Boomer played the baritone solo in the Bee Gees tune like nobody else could have. SWEEEEEEET!!!! :huh:

Erie knocked the crowd into a frenzy!!! These guys are showtime warriors. When they put on the "magic suits" it is all over. They were rewarded with the second standing ovation of the night. I am proud to be on the staff and as a performer with these guys. They truly know how to perform.

Crusaders did a good job at silencing the doubters at this show...It is the first time I have heard the arrangements with percussion and Scott Johnson's drum parts really make things work well. Albeit a little smaller than they will hope to be for the seasons start, they did not hurt themselves at all in this show. A nice controlled sound from the horn line!! Good Job Cru...

Ghost Riders are another mini corps that knows the formula of to make a smaller group sound great. The new arrangements by Joey Pero are quite good, Swan Lake shows off the soprano line and Joey's solos in Pagliacci were as good as it gets.

Unfortunately at the break, I discovered that my cell phone was missing from my pocket so I began to trace my steps. I missed the evening performance from the White Sabers because of that reason. What I saw and heard from them in the afternoon was considerably improved from where they were last year at this time. Progress is evident from this group from Dansville NY.

I wish Empire would have played more of the field show, but what they played let people know right off the bat that they will be in the hunt for the DCA Championship come September. Jerry Kelsey's arrangements of Georgia and Unchain my Heart are very innovative in style and will work extremely well on the field for "America's Entertainers". They do not have any weaknesses and that always is a formula for THAT corps to win. It should be an interesting summer.

I went looking for my phone (and FOUND IT) during St. Joe's performance, but I did catch a bit of it. Maybe it was me, but they sounded a bit tired. I know that they played alot during the day. But as usual, nothing stops St. Joes form tearing the roof off the place at the Classic. Ace was on top of his game and of course they were very loud. They played some new material since Harrisburg and it was well received by the great drum corps crowd present. I like the new hats!!!

St. Joe's parties are always great and I am glad we didnt try to change that formula by playing. The DJ was HOT and the dance floor was packed. So many people in Rochester are just waiting for DCA to return this summer.

Thats all!

Donny

What a great show!!!

From my POV the best moment of the evening was watching the first 6 rows of the packed house collectively flinch on the opening statement of Artistry........those moments are why I love this activity!! :)

Just finished listening to an audio tape of our show....and guess what?? I Flinched. b**bs

Kudo's to Jeff Gibbens and Donny Allen. These two seem to somehow feed off each other and we, the TBIRDS, are the benefactor of that collaborative effort. Let us not forget the SALORINO Battery. Joe, as a player/arranger/Drum Major/yada,yada,yada,/President/blah,blah,blah...also deserves a mention.....

Have to thank MSJ for the invite to the Classic. It's always been one of our favorite shows to perform in and my guess is we wouldn't turn down another invitation to a show so professionaly run. Our best to you on "Classic XIV"

See yinz' in September..........(Rochester......MY Kinda town :huh: )

First I want to thank Mighty St. Joes for what I beleive was one the best indoor shows ever in Rochester. Everything from having our own private room in the school to allowing us 3 practice times, and keeping it all running at almost a flawless pace was just fantastic. For me personally to be in PTB and be around all these great people from THUNDERBIRDS, CRU, WS, ES, GHOST RIDERS, and JOES (did I forget anyone?) is what makes it all worth while after all these years. DA did a fantastic job getting PTB ready and I want all my family, Boomer, Danny Mo, DA, Tom, Dennis, Mike, Mark, Scott, Chriss, Geoff, Juice, Lance, Dave, Billy, Eon, Jim, Matt and all other members of PTB to know I could not be any prouder. GREAT SHOW, GREAT CROWD, GREAT MUSIC, GREAT PEOPLE, and a GREAT PARTY! Now if I just could of won the 50/50 raffle............

First I want to thank Mighty St. Joes for what I beleive was one the best indoor shows ever in Rochester. Everything from having our own private room in the school to allowing us 3 practice times, and keeping it all running at almost a flawless pace was just fantastic. For me personally to be in PTB and be around all these great people from THUNDERBIRDS, CRU, WS, ES, GHOST RIDERS, and JOES (did I forget anyone?) is what makes it all worth while after all these years. DA did a fantastic job getting PTB ready and I want all my family, Boomer, Danny Mo, DA, Tom, Dennis, Mike, Mark, Scott, Chriss, Geoff, Juice, Lance, Dave, Billy, Eon, Jim, Matt and all other members of PTB to know I could not be any prouder. GREAT SHOW, GREAT CROWD, GREAT MUSIC, GREAT PEOPLE, and a GREAT PARTY! Now if I just could of won the 50/50 raffle............

....,there was a 50/50??? Guess I shouldn't have had that XIII 'th Labatt's b**bs

(Gotta Luv Rochester.....just Gotta)

My 2 Cents...

WOW! Fantastic! and so on.....

To my Family at PTB... Thank you for allowing me to be a part of the most talented group I've ever played with. I must tell you there's no doubt that this group of musicians is the best of the best.

As for the rest of the groups, enough can't be said. It's clear that "all age" drum corps is continuing to grow. The talent has improved over the last few years and is clearly going in the right direction.

Thank you to the St Joes folks for putting on a great event. Top Notch.

Dave Keck

You are right John...

I gave Larry Keppel some chop busting, but true to form, the "Classic Commitee" from St. Joe's corps ALWAYS does a fantastic job with supplying everything anyone could ask for in the way they run the Classic. Once again, they outdid themselves. Thanks!!! :huh: I think Larry knew I was busting his chops.

Donny

I had a great time in Ra cha cha. That place is truly a drum corps Mecca. The crowd was fantastic. The T-birds and myself won't forget that one. Thanks for having us. I only heard a few performances. Prime Time Brass was killer. Come mini corps time, they're going to be tough to beat. We might have to start in July instead of August. :) kidding aside, they are all pros. Cool flugel horn solo, Donny. All their soloists were smokin. Crusaders were a class act. Nice book, should be fun at DCA's. The Empire Statesmen's opening statement blew me away. Their horn moves and vocal enhancements (VE) are razor sharp. That's all I saw unfortunately. Had a good time at the party, it was a corker. They even played the chicken dance.

Edited by Mike_B

I personally had a blast playing with St. Joe's at the Classic. What a great crowd!! They made us all feel like rock stars and were a pleasure to perform for. I agree that Rochester is a drum corps mecca. DCA should be nuts if this crowd is any indication.

Ken Petersen's ad lib solo on "Appleblossom Time" modulating into "Georgia" to begin our show was a priceless drum corps moment for me. This hall of famer knows and appreciates his roots! Congratulations to all units for producing a great day of brass and percussion performance.

Edited by Geneva