Review of Mighty St. Joe's Classic

This thread is so far off the original topic, I feel like I am changing the subject.

I really enjoyed most of the show. I am not going to give a review, even though I saw the entire show from the seventh row, I just want to comment on one of the acts.

Prime Time Brass is nothing short of amazing. I love the concept of an all brass jazz/big band. I never really appreciated the reed instruments anyway. What a talented group this is. I think they were a little top heavy on this night, I think it was because they let the whole group play and the trumpets showed up in big numbers, I think around 9 of them if I recall. there were only 1 or two mid voices (Mellophones) and 4 baris and 2 tubas. When I say tubas, that's exactly what I mean. These cats had two of the prettiest tubas I have ever seen in my life, they must have cost fifteen thousand a piece. they look like something you would see in the Boston Pops. Man could those guy play, I am an old tuba player myself and I know talent when I see it :ph34r: . Top to bottom this group has no slouches. Solo work was wonderful. Donny, you were right when you said you haven't played like this in years, you were the Donny of the 70's :laugh: . Mark Kelly, recovering from a life threatening illness, was the best I ever heard him :laugh:. Boomer in the Bari solo... magnificant :laugh: . I think everyone in the group had a solo or a part of a small ensemble :laugh: . Billy McGrath Jr. on traps, what can I say about this HOF'er that's not been said a hundred times before. His style reminds me of Gene Krupa :laugh:. I just hope St. Joe's has them back next year and puts them in a better spot. after them opening the show, everyone else had a tough act to follow :laugh: . This is not the same group that won the ensemble category at DCA I&E's last year. They have morphed into a unique blend of jazz band/Minicorps type of assemblage that fills the void between band and drum corps. I am sure we will see more of this type of group crop up as Prime Time gains more exposure and popularity. If Prime Time swaps the tubas for contras and decides to try their hand at minicorps, all I can say is, let the games begin.

Edited by bariforhire

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Benny...

Billy McGrath reminds me of Ed Shaunessy from Doc Severinsen's Tonight Show Band.

I am glad you liked it though, for real.

Donny

Copied from another thread with some edits

Awesome show.

PTB is one of the BEST jazz brass bands I have ever heard PERIOD.

T-birds impressed me A LOT. Especially for the first time seeing them.

GR were also impressive for my first time hearing them. Love the style of music played there.

Cru will make a push for finals this year.

Dansville has a great young hornline. They will progress greatly this year.

ES was kinda hard to comment on with only have 75% of the corps there, but for a teaser show I left satisfied

Mighty St. Joes for me was the best time of the night. Love their sound, wish I lived in the LeRoy area...

Btw, "Ace" the soloist from Mighty St. Joes is apparently in his late 70's is absolutely amazing. A true drum corps inspiration.

Thank you Mighty St. Joes for a great night!

It was interesting to have us 3 bucs sitting in the midst of the best in Rochester Drum Corps. :)

PS For the first time seeing Donny Allen in person, I was amazed at the energy he puts out. A true 1st class leader.

Edited by BucsBuff

HOYT SOLO!. :blink: ...... :P we don need no steenkin Hoyt solo!!! :P

YOU NEED A HOYT SOLO DUH!

PS For the first time seeing Donny Allen in person, I was amazed at the energy he puts out. A true 1st class leader.

When talking about having PASSION for our activity one of our best representatives is Donny Allen. :blink: