Phoenix Regional 2007

I've stayed at schools with year round school before. We just had to move our stuff in the morning instead of after rehearsal. A minor inconvenience, if you ask me. As for the heat, a good corps director would know when to bring the rehearsal inside (or at least to the shade). I think extreme heat would be treated like a thunderstorm. You can still rehearse, maybe just not outside.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. It's an indoor facility. As for rehearsals, the corps will deal. In a lot of way's it's better to be in the dry desert heat than in humidity.

myth = arizona is a dry heat. we get a summer rainy season, starting around the first week of july, lasting through august. i remember many a birthday (july 7) party being rained on, and band camp being rushed into the gym. nowhere near as humid as where i go to school, but there is humidity in the afternoons/evenings.

Waaah.

If you hydrate properly and rehearse smartly, it won't be a problem. It's not like there haven't been drum corps shows in Arizona before. I've marched with corps that have done it, and it's only a problem if you make it into one.

arizona drum corps do just fine. i can think of one blazing example of a successful corps in AZ that manages to rehearse in phoenix and not die :P

You know Phoenix in August can be 120. There's nothing you can do outside and be safe at the same time and it be that hot. Another problem is that the schools start there the first week of August, so housing might be an issue. (At least my friend teaches at a school that starts that early.)

as an 18 year arizona resident, it gets that hot once in a blue moon. i remember maybe 7-10 years ago it was 114-ish down in tucson, where i'm from, 2 hours south of phoenix. and i know this will sound absolutely CRAZY, but once it gets over 105, you can't really feel it anymore. maybe it's just me and some of my friends who noticed that phenomenon a few years ago. rehearsals are run smart. spf 50 was what i used, never burned. the standby for each water break was around 16 ounces of water at each one. we also got shade breaks during sunny outdoor blocks. afternoon music rehearsals were all over campus looking for shady spots, and as the afternoon progressed, we'd follow the shade around. it CAN be done :)

Safe to assume this would be the Saturday before finals??

probably, yeah. it's about a 6 hour drive from phoenix to pasadena.

probably, yeah. it's about a 6 hour drive from phoenix to pasadena.

No it's not, it's about 8 hours by car to LA......so you're talkin about 10 hours by bus. Not all schools start in July or the first week of August. My old high school started I think the 2nd or 3rd week of August. So there are ways around it. And yes it does get hotter than 120 on a normal basis, atleast 5-8 times a summer. August is usually the worst. 115 on average, but some nights when the monsoon hits there's no way to practice in that...30mph winds and hard rain with lightning...no thank you!!

You know Phoenix in August can be 120. There's nothing you can do outside and be safe at the same time and it be that hot.

That's rediculous. Of course there is...there are lots of things you can do to deal with that kind of heat.

Trust me, I know. I served in Iraq.

as someone who's driven to LA from tucson about 15 times in the past 19 years, it's 8 hours from tucson. phoenix is 2 hours closer.

also, from a quick google search of average phoenix temperatures,

May

Average high temperature: 93

Average low temperature: 64

Warmest EVER: 113

Coldest ever: 40

Average precipitation: .1

June

Average high temperature: 103

Average low temperature: 72

Warmest EVER: 122

Coldest ever: 50

Average precipitation: .1

July

Average high temperature: 105

Average low temperature: 80

Warmest EVER: 121

Coldest ever: 61

Average precipitation: .8

August

Average high temperature: 103

Average low temperature: 79

Warmest EVER: 116

Coldest ever: 60

Average precipitation: 1.0

Edited by BariEuph

Well, you know. I'm really concerned about the sound in the domes. The echo might be too bad. This thread has shown that nothing positive can happen from this show. As you know, I am from the southwest and there aren't any drum corps fans there. The show should just be cancelled.

Been away for a bit here, so I have no idea if I have just been hooked by some flame bait....

No it's not, it's about 8 hours by car to LA......so you're talkin about 10 hours by bus. Not all schools start in July or the first week of August. My old high school started I think the 2nd or 3rd week of August. So there are ways around it. And yes it does get hotter than 120 on a normal basis, atleast 5-8 times a summer. August is usually the worst. 115 on average, but some nights when the monsoon hits there's no way to practice in that...30mph winds and hard rain with lightning...no thank you!!

All depends where you are going to in LA, can be 6 hours, and it can be more. As for the heat... 120 is possible, but far from normal. By my quick read phoenix has a total of 3 days where the record heat was in 120 or greater. Two were in 1990, and the other '95. http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/int...66?climoMonth=8

I will agree with you that the monsoons are a concern, and in my mind a more significant one.

Well, you know. I'm really concerned about the sound in the domes. The echo might be too bad. This thread has shown that nothing positive can happen from this show. As you know, I am from the southwest and there aren't any drum corps fans there. The show should just be cancelled.

This should be no more of a concern than having finals go to INDY. Also a stadium that has yet to finish construction so who knows what it will be.

Guess the crowds at the shows the Academy host each summer are a mirage in the desert......

Many corps from Arizona have come and gone, but none have died from the heat.

Thom W

FMM, Driver and Fan, despite being an Arizona Native

I've lived in AZ all 21 years of my life, and I've spent multiple summers doing drum corps ONLY in AZ. I've also travelled the rest of the country and a few other parts of the world during the summer and performed/rehearsed in just about every climate.

AZ gets hot, but I STILL prefer AZ's heat over Louisianna's humidity/heat...or Alabama's...or France's...or Rhode Island's (those of you at finals last year know exactly what I'm talking about).

I can probably count the number of times it's been over 120 on my right hand.

And are you really "concerned" about the dome? Jeez! What about Indy, or San Antonio? Or the new Georgia Dome regional this summer? Let's just cancel all those while were at it, since there's never ever been a good drum corps show in one of those domes...

If corps can tour the US/Canada/Europe and make it through the summer, then I think they can spend a day or two in AZ.

Besides, if the staff does their job and gives water breaks (like they should in any rehearsal situation) then it will be no different. It's not impossible to stay hydrated in AZ.

Yes, there's going to be a big regional there, and the conditions will be almost the same, if not better than ANYWHERE else in the world.

Been there, done all that...no big deal.

I get a little riled up when people talk about AZ like it's a stepping stone to ####... :P