Phoenix Regional 2007

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and you're very very welcome. i'm glad to be able to entertain others outside of threads as much as they've entertained me. :)

but back on topic....

i head back to AZ in a couple weeks...i look forward to sharing the good news with friends of mine who love drum corps but don't get the chance to travel to shows very far away.

i do wonder, though, has this been verified by dci? we've heard a couple posts that say "yes, this is true" but what official source has stated this? don't want to get my hopes too high :P

Edited by BariEuph

i head back to AZ in a couple weeks...i look forward to sharing the good news with friends of mine who love drum corps but don't get the chance to travel to shows very far away.

i do wonder, though, has this been verified by dci? we've heard a couple posts that say "yes, this is true" but what official source has stated this? don't want to get my hopes too high :P

Hey, do you need a summer job? I may have something for you at Golfland. It is a pretty fun place to work. And then I can give you all the scoop on the Phoenix show.

i actually live in tucson, and have my job lined up, i teach at a preschool over the summer. thanks though :)

How about a Western Regional in San Diego (since we lost out on championships) the Saturday before Finals?

Temp about 80 during the day

Close to Pasadena so less travel (corps can get set up in their housing early)

Schools don't start until mid-August in SD

Close to entertainment and the beach

Sounds like a G R E A T idea to me!

A better idea..a regional in Northern California..home of 17 DCI Championship Trophies.

Thanks for the Golfland plug. As the group sales manager Golfland Entertainment Centers and an avid Drum Corps supporter I would love to offer our facilities to DCI but I would think the kids would have bigger concerns a week before finals than riding the waves at our waterparks. Does anyone know if this has ever been done before?

I doubt many corps would do it the week before finals, but I remember my corps visited some water slides in Surrey, BC on a free day in July 1990.

So, I'm guessing that this show in AZ would be after Denver?? (assuming that Denver would host a big regional next year).

If heat is a concern...why not have a big Regional in SEATTLE after Denver? The weather is perfect up here that time of year. Could do Denver, and then do a tour backward of the early West Coast tour...ending down in Pasadena.

Just a thought!

Nate

UofA stadium would be horrible for a show...i've marched there before in high school as a member and as a drum major....either way, someone gets screwed. the stands face east/west, not north south. backfield marching? blinded. the fans or the members get POUNDED.

<**>

I hate to break it to you but all stadiums are built with the touchdowns north and south, to keep the sun out of the players eyes. If you worry a lot about the sun then do what most other regionals do and have it over 2 nights, with the hills in the west the sun gets blocked out early. Most shows are performed to the east side and there suites on the west side that block out the sun, so the blindness of the sun reflecting off of the west side stands is not a problem at all!! I have marched there for 6 years now, 2 in college, and I enjoy the stadium. It's a nice (semi) full stadium and the sound doesn't get caught in to badly since the north side has a very small section.

And I know that a lot of corps take a half day off during their last week, we did last year to go to the beach. It serves as a mental release because it's the end of the season...you want to go home and you have 4 full all day rehersals.

you're not "breaking" anything to me. :)

i was just pointing out the downside to having it there as opposed to the dome in phoenix.

and actually, the orange bowl's endzones face east/west :) observe this picture, with the drumline facing the sidelines, and the shadows.....

http://www.music.miami.edu/band/multimedia...es/IMG_2609.JPG

Edited by BariEuph